Should the 3DS join the Switch?

• Thread starter Dark Link
  • Start date
Dark Link

Dark Link

The Forgotten Soul
Towns Folk
Well we all know that the Switch is really popular and has been selling out due to stock issues.But once they get that settled should they add a new feature so it can play games with 3DS?It might sound weird but if you think about it Nintendo could use this feature to make players want to get back to 3DS.The reason I bought this up was some people want Super Smash Bros. to make it to switch.But the problem is if they did it would be just players fighting switch owner but if they had the 3DS compatible then it would make more sense.Soon maybe when the switch gets a Pokemon title for it it could be compatible with 3DS so you can battle and Trade.I really think Nintendo should consider this because if they make it compatible then you never know what type of games you could play with them both.So what do you guys think and what games should be for them both?

It's already confirmed there will be some Switch and 3ds compatibility with Monster Hunter XX in Japan. So adding this feauture to other games in the next year wouldn't be out of the question.

If they port Smash 4 over to the Switch, they're might be some problems. The Wii U and 3ds versions of Sm4sh already don't work together. With version exclusive modes and stages there would be trouble. If the Switch had all the features of both versions there could be some restrictions to the game if you play with a 3ds player. It would be hard, but possible. It all depends on how much money Nintendo feels they can make from the idea to see if it's possible.

I bet there will be a way to tranfer Pokemon. But, like other generation gaps, I don't think there will be ways to tranfer Pokemon back to the 3ds. I'm sure the first Switch Pokemon game will be in a New generation, so I feel comfortable with this prediction.

All in all, it's a good idea, but thinking of effective practicality is the difficult portion.

Reactions: Jisenku and Dark Link
No.

Reactions: 18
I think since the 3ds is still going to be around for a good while that some kind of cross compatibility should be there when it comes to some games. I haven't heard of them doing that as of right now but maybe they will at some point cause after all the 3ds is still making them a pretty decent amount of money , along with games still being made for it as well . They also seem to be still trying to boost the sell of the 3ds along with the switch. I feel that the switch isn't there yet on people using it a lot for a hand held system cause compared to the 3ds it's not as portable and much more pron to damage . I might think about getting one later but not for another year that way I know all the small bugs are taken care of and the system is a bit more polished.

Reactions: Jisenku
Nah. Let the 3DS rest now, it had a great run, but it's time to move on.

Could be a good idea:) Didn't the Wii and the original DS link for some reason? I recall playing something on the DS like a demo or something. The GBA and game cube linked for some games too, so why not.
Please don't go 3ds , we love you ;)

I don´t think that is what nintendo actually thinks about the two systems and it would be pointless for the consumer to have a 3ds or a nintendo switch if games are coming for both systems. Besides, the kind of games you get from the nintendo 3ds are centered on single player, on the other hand, swicth games (I know not all of them) are more centered on multiplayer experience, be it locally or on the internet. I think that it would totally fail, one of them would not keep delivering what it has done so far.

yes, but i don't think Nintendo will ever do that

No thanks

Since the Nintendo Switch is based upon being a HOME console, It is really unlikely that Nintendo Switch will support 3DS CARTRIDGES! However, it may support downloading the 3DS games when the 3DS becomes obsolete (well not soon.) The problem with this is how the Switch has only 1 screen, making the Double Screens hard to import.

Now, with the integration of the 3DS, that is a very hopeful possibility. Super Smash Bros. 4 can be ported to Switch and then have the 3DS version get an update that allows it to connect to Switch as a separate controller, kinda like the integration with Wii U and 3DS. Plus, it should also support the Mii Maker (I don't have the Switch... so I don't know), allowing the 3DS to bring old Mii's in!

I am really happy with this thread! By the way, I think that the Switch is just right for me because I have tried the in-store demos. The controllers really fit well in your hand, and "handle" (SEE WHAT I DID??? :lapras:) very nicely. Sorry I had to get a pun in this very serious discussion.

Could be a good idea:) Didn't the Wii and the original DS link for some reason? I recall playing something on the DS like a demo or something. The GBA and game cube linked for some games too, so why not.
Please don't go 3ds , we love you ;)

The Wii and DS connected via Nintendo Channel on the Wii to bring demos to the DS through DS Download Play.

The GBA and GameCube did link, most notably with the GBA scanner with Animal Crossing E+ or something, it scanned cards that are very similar to the Amiibo cards that came with the 2015 ACNL update.

It's already confirmed there will be some Switch and 3ds compatibility with Monster Hunter XX in Japan. So adding this feauture to other games in the next year wouldn't be out of the question.

If they port Smash 4 over to the Switch, they're might be some problems. The Wii U and 3ds versions of Sm4sh already don't work together. With version exclusive modes and stages there would be trouble. If the Switch had all the features of both versions there could be some restrictions to the game if you play with a 3ds player. It would be hard, but possible. It all depends on how much money Nintendo feels they can make from the idea to see if it's possible.

I bet there will be a way to tranfer Pokemon. But, like other generation gaps, I don't think there will be ways to tranfer Pokemon back to the 3ds. I'm sure the first Switch Pokemon game will be in a New generation, so I feel comfortable with this prediction.

All in all, it's a good idea, but thinking of effective practicality is the difficult portion.

The Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS do work together locally, you can make the 3DS a controller for one of the players in 4 player smash.

The Wii U and 3DS can be upgraded to include all of the stages as free DLC.

Transfering Pokemon is a great idea, but I understand the problem of never getting the Pokemon back on the original system. However, the Switch could just port Ultra Sun/Moon.

Nah. Let the 3DS rest now, it had a great run, but it's time to move on.

You do realize that the New 2DS just came out July 28, 2017... so it is not going to rest... :cool-pika:

Reactions: Duffy
You do realize that the New 2DS just came out July 28, 2017... so it is not going to rest... :cool-pika:
...the Wii Mini came out at the end of 2012, and by then the Wii was very much dead :B and the Wii U was out.

So yeah.

...the Wii Mini came out at the end of 2012, and by then the Wii was very much dead :B and the Wii U was out.

So yeah.

The Wii Mini was dead... but it is not like the 3DS will continue the tradition. After all, Nintendo is not traditional.

The Wii Mini was dead... but it is not like the 3DS will continue the tradition. After all, Nintendo is not traditional.
Not my point, my point is that you can't use [insert cheap redesign was just released] as evidence that a console isn't dead/dying :p

Reactions: Jisenku
Wait... If the Gameboy was dead and they tried to bring it up with the Gameboy Micro... as soon as the DS was out... and then the Wii Mini tried to revive the Wii... but then soon after it died... the New 2DS could be like that Wii Mini or Gameboy Micro... NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Back