Sleep mode making game downloads faster?!?

• Thread starter freezebot
  • Start date
freezebot

freezebot

PineappleDoggo <3
Towns Folk
Well if you have a switch and you're trying to download Zelda breath of the wild or some other game that takes up a couple of GB, You would probably know that it take a long time. But its recently been discovered that sleep mode can make your games download faster. But if your one of those people who just likes to keep their switch open and do something else while its downloading, You should know that there is almost a 5 minutes difference if you download games on sleep mode instead of downloading them regularly. Don't forget to comment if this post helped you download any games faster.

Yup. I don't have a switch but this is a thing through all the consoles really.

Sleep mode switches off background processes to save battery, so when you're downloading something in sleep mode that's why it's faster. Less background processes which take up data usage = faster download time :D

Of course, there's other reasons too, but that's really the main one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Kadaj and etrian_warrior
This is indeed true the same as it was with the 3DS. Downloading in sleep mode allows the processor to run faster meaning better download speed \o. Anyway, thanks @flamebiz for the helpful little hint for everyone because downloading BoTW takes ages I hear. Nintendo seems to like downloading in sleep mode, guess they're just that cool. Heh.

@sky curse your snipe!!!!! ><

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 28142
You can close the switch like 3ds?and yeah I seen that when I do it with 3ds.

Reactions: etrian_warrior
I was kinda surprised to see people reporting on this. I kinda thought it was a given. Sleep mode shuts down unnecessary things so the system can use the extra power to focus on downloading the game. I always download my 3ds eshop games in sleep mode. I automatically just assumed sleep mode would accelerate download speed, and it really surprised me when other people didn't. It's definitely a cool feature, and a good way of letting people get their games faster. I glad Nintendo built this feature into their systems. When I finally get my switch it's nice to know I won't have to wait to long to start playing.

I was kinda surprised to see people reporting on this. I kinda thought it was a given. Sleep mode shuts down unnecessary things so the system can use the extra power to focus on downloading the game. I always download my 3ds eshop games in sleep mode. I automatically just assumed sleep mode would accelerate download speed, and it really surprised me when other people didn't. It's definitely a cool feature, and a good way of letting people get their games faster. I glad Nintendo built this feature into their systems. When I finally get my switch it's nice to know I won't have to wait to long to start playing.

It's not built into systems just to download games. It's to save battery power while keeping the system on. Technically, it should also shut down anything to do with internet like, for example, computers do as that saves more battery. But since most of Nintendo's consoles rely on internet for different things it's still on. Because of this you can download games while in sleep mode.

It's not built into systems just to download games. It's to save battery power while keeping the system on.

I didn't mean sleep mode, I meant that it was nice that they built in the capability to download games faster that way, instead of shutting off internet.

Yup. I don't have a switch but this is a thing through all the consoles really.

Sleep mode switches off background processes to save battery, so when you're downloading something in sleep mode that's why it's faster. Less background processes which take up data usage = faster download time :D

Of course, there's other reasons too, but that's really the main one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Exactly. Less other fuss makes it speedier.

Reactions: 28142
I still haven´t tried the sleep mode on my switch. That could be because I am really anxious about getting the game and starting to play it as soon as possible or I haven´t downloaded any big game. All the games I have so far are indies, snipperclips, fast rmx and the wonder boy. So these games don´t require a lot of memory and are usually downloaded in a matter of minutes.
(I am playing Zelda breath of the wild on my Wii u, my Budget was not good to be able to aford the switch and the game at the same time so I had pre-ordered the game on the wiiu :)

Back