Smartphone repairs scratches by itself. (LG G Flex)

• Thread starter Reece
  • Start date
R

Reece

When LG announced its curved smartphone, the G Flex, it boasted that the handset was coated with a "self-healing" material and even compared it to Wolverine from X-Men.

As you'll see in the video, the LG G Flex essentially "heals" the scratches made. It doesn't completely remove them, but apparently makes the marks almost invisible to the naked eye. He then carves out a deeper scratch using a knife, which "half heals," appearing far less visible than it would on a regular phone.

LG's promotional clip was filmed in a controlled temperature environment with the thermostat set to 81 degrees Fahrenheit, and he believes the coating isn't as effective in cooler climates. While it might not work exactly as advertised, LG's new coating looks to be a pretty big step forward for the everyday durability of our phones. Let's hope it comes to models that LG plans on selling outside of Korea sometime soon.

Watch this video to see it happen :)

Promotional Video
This actually is really interesting, what do you all think about the LG G Flex abilities?

Reactions: 3dsatackman
This technology is like 4 years old, but I'm glad there is already a phone released.

This technology is like 4 years old, but I'm glad there is already a phone released.
Well I never heard of this kind of technology, I haven't seen a phone based on it as yet either, so that why I decided to base a thread on a topic like that.

The big flaw is that it cannot heal itself forever - the healing mechanism will wear off after a number of scratches.
This is caused by the presence of small invisible tubes in the surface that break when there is a scratch, releasing a fast drying polymer that will fill the gap caused by the scratch. These tubes do not hold infinite liquid :p. This is also why it won't work so well in colder climates - the cold makes the liquid polymer flow slower so it won't have time to fill all the gap before drying.

The big flaw is that it cannot heal itself forever - the healing mechanism will wear off after a number of scratches.
This is caused by the presence of small invisible tubes in the surface that break when there is a scratch, releasing a fast drying polymer that will fill the gap caused by the scratch. These tubes do not hold infinite liquid :p. This is also why it won't work so well in colder climates - the cold makes the liquid polymer flow slower so it won't have time to fill all the gap before drying.
Nice. Thanks for sharing the information. As far as i'm concerned, i wish there was a thing like this for the 3DS screen. I scrathed the edge of my screen with a towel while trying to clean it. It would really be handy to have this kind of mechanism in all mobile devices.

wow, this is impressive. First time I've heard of that. This is really advanced technology. xD

wow, this is impressive. First time I've heard of that. This is really advanced technology. xD
It is, I was impressed when I first found out too, I can't wait to see what the future holds in store for Technology.

Are you saying that this phone doesn't scratch easily this is strange but mine as already been scratched so easy but i guess Samsung is oing a wonderfull work to bring more durability to they product.

Back