Smash Bros Ultimate becomes the top selling fighting game of all time!

• Thread starter Whovian#1
  • Start date
Whovian#1

Whovian#1

<Insert bad pun about water here>
Towns Folk
I don't know if you guys heard of this but just the other day smash bros ultimate passed street fighter 2 as the best selling fighting game of all time! As of September ultimate sold 15.7 million copies while Street Fighter 2 has sales of 15.5 million copies. What makes this so fascinating however is that Ultimate had only been out for 9 months (as of that report) while Street Fighter 2 was released in 1991 (so it's 28 years old) has had multiple editions made of it and has been released across multiple consoles. Ultimate broke this record while only being on one console and not having even been out for a year yet! Personally this is incredible and it just shows how well the switch has been selling and how incredible of a game ultimate is. What do you guys think of this!

Reactions: Starry Windy
It's a big crossover (bigger than the previous ones too) so of course everyone plays it because their favorite characters are in it. I also think it's about the fact that there are so many tournaments that need the game to have them go by quicker and if people who play those tournaments want to get good they get the game themselves. It does appeal to casuals too because there isn't so many complex button combinations like a game like Street Fighter and that has something to do with it.

I mean every point you're making is true but that still doesn't completely explain the success of this game. Every other smash game has this same kind of appeal that you're talking about yet I don't think any of them held this title. I mean let's look at melee for a second. Melee has a huge competitive scene, maybe bigger than ultimates. In fact I would argue that more people play melee competitively than casually. Yet as of last year melee has only sold 9.35 million units (according to wikipedea). For having such a huge competitive scene you would think it would get closer to ultimate especially considering the game is 17 years old (as of that report). Basically what I'm trying to say is competitive smash is such a small subset of sales that that can't possibly be the reason ultimate broke this record. It's the casual's which really rake in the dough. But still, brawl is such a casual game why didn't it get the sales to beat street fighter 2? I mean smash 4 didn't have it because it was on the Wii U but the Wii was roughly as popular as the switch is, yet it didn't break the record? I couldn't tell you why this is. Maybe it's the character line up in ultimate and that so many fan favorites have been added?

Back