Smogen rules are stupid

• Thread starter DarkRiolu264
  • Start date
DarkRiolu264

DarkRiolu264

Rathian Assassin
Towns Folk
Smogen rules are stupid because they're created by other trainers who can't handle their losses so, they ban awesome pokemon like blaziken and garchomp... and would any real pokemon traner care what pokemon they're facing or how "uber" they are? no!!! so Who doesn't care about smoggen rules? there more like Groggen Rules... (I know Groggen doesn't sound like a good insult but it sounded better in my mind)

Reactions: 532 and blitzstriker7
lawl As true as that sounds they just want to think their games through deeper than 2 moves and maybe an ability to sweep. Especially true with less experienced players if they can win with Ubers versus some competitive OU team when some people might find a competitive UU team more effective. Get what I'm saying a little bit?

Funny you spell it "Smoggen" ahaha
Anyway, I think you should play the game competitively more before making an opinion about Blaziken and Garchomp. Garchomp isn't banned in OU. Blaziken is banned because of speed boost which gives a crazy boost every turn, making it too overpowered for OU and under. It is usable in Ubers though. And honestly, even without speed boost it still has strong offensive stats now as a Mega.
It just makes for an unfair matchup, this is the reason Pokemon like Blaziken get banned despite not even being legendary.
And what Artisan said is true, Pokemon like Blaziken just sweep with 1-2 moves and it doesn't leave for anything competitive as it just shuts down so many Pokemon and teams.
Stick to ubers or custom/free for all games if you just want to play every Pokemon you love.

Reactions: Zukrad
Funny you spell it "Smoggen" ahaha
Anyway, I think you should play the game competitively more before making an opinion about Blaziken and Garchomp. Garchomp isn't banned in OU. Blaziken is banned because of speed boost which gives a crazy boost every turn, making it too overpowered for OU and under. It is usable in Ubers though. And honestly, even without speed boost it still has strong offensive stats now as a Mega.
It just makes for an unfair matchup, this is the reason Pokemon like Blaziken get banned despite not even being legendary.
And what Artisan said is true, Pokemon like Blaziken just sweep with 1-2 moves and it doesn't leave for anything competitive as it just shuts down so many Pokemon and teams.
Stick to ubers or custom/free for all games if you just want to play every Pokemon you love.
i agree with you

I kinda agree with you, but when you think about it, Their rules make sense. Their clauses (Sleep Clause, OneHitKO Clause, Etc)
All have some kind of meaning and making sense. (Except OnehitKO clause because it's accuracy is already at 30% why ban it???) It means sense that legendaires are banned except in Ubers because their stats are WAY higher than any normal Pokemon. WIth legenaries and Dark VOid, the games just aren't fair/fun anymore.

I kinda agree with you, but when you think about it, Their rules make sense. Their clauses (Sleep Clause, OneHitKO Clause, Etc)
All have some kind of meaning and making sense. (Except OnehitKO clause because it's accuracy is already at 30% why ban it???) .
Well against or combined with No Guard it's an instant hit. It's just not a fair move.

Smogon rules add balance to the metagame. People can vote on what they want banned. If you don't like smogon, no one is forcing you to play. I love the system myself and I recommend you give smogon another chance. They do a really good job on the metagame.

Things don't get banned because people can't handle them. Usually its when a pokemon is soo broken and easy to use, the game becomes unbalanced and over-centralizing.

Reactions: 3823
So, if they don't ban Mega Rayquaza/Mega Mewtwo X/Y, then what happens? People use them on every team. They have the highest BSTs, which means they're the most powerful Pokemon. Having them on every common OU team would get tiring for someone that doesn't want them on their team, or doesn't want to have a counter for both on their teams. Also, think about how OP Mega Kangaskhan was when it was first released.

Reactions: cuberandgamer
So, if they don't ban Mega Rayquaza/Mega Mewtwo X/Y, then what happens? People use them on every team. They have the highest BSTs, which means they're the most powerful Pokemon. Having them on every common OU team would get tiring for someone that doesn't want them on their team, or doesn't want to have a counter for both on their teams. Also, think about how OP Mega Kangaskhan was when it was first released.
Mega Rayquaza being banned I can understand. Not so sure about Mega Mewtwo because usually it won't be perfect IVs in game. Aegislash or Mawile with Swords Dance (not to mention if Aegi has Weakness Policy) plus priority is just too much in my opinion. Priority just gives that Poke total control. It is understandable Normal types could be good against Aegi but how many of them are fast? (<- only the part Flying ones). But what makes match ups even more unbalanced is King's Shield which is very understandable. Mega Mewtwo I never had a problem with. Mainly because of defensive stat boosts and luck of the draw Mewtwo didn't have Recover. If a move ban on specific Pokemon was there I think we'd have less problems. But would that make the match ups any more fair?

I hate Smogon as well, but I think that it's necessary to use the Smogon system to keep things balanced in tournament matches. Think about it: You have a team full of OU Pokemon with some of the hardest hitting attacks (Eg: Dragonite w/Outrage + Weakness Policy) and your opponent just has a RU Pokemon like Yanmega(High speed is all it has, but very low attacking capabilities)The victory is almost guaranteed for the OU team user. Therefore, Smogon tries to pit Pokemon with similar traits against each other in an attempt to make the game more fair.

Mega Rayquaza being banned I can understand. Not so sure about Mega Mewtwo because usually it won't be perfect IVs in game. Aegislash or Mawile with Swords Dance (not to mention if Aegi has Weakness Policy) plus priority is just too much in my opinion. Priority just gives that Poke total control. It is understandable Normal types could be good against Aegi but how many of them are fast? (<- only the part Flying ones). But what makes match ups even more unbalanced is King's Shield which is very understandable. Mega Mewtwo I never had a problem with. Mainly because of defensive stat boosts and luck of the draw Mewtwo didn't have Recover. If a move ban on specific Pokemon was there I think we'd have less problems. But would that make the match ups any more fair?
Have you seen mega mewtwo's stats? Mega mewtwo had the highest base stat total in the entire game. Ever since mega rayquaza mega mewtwo has been overshadowed. mewtwo is superior to the entire OU teir, the thing is broken. I can understand the aegislash ban though. Aegislash was soo annoying. Mega mawile also does have the highest attack stat in the game (with huge power) so sucker punch is broken on it.

But the reason we ban the pokemon rather than restrict its move set is because smogon tries to avoid complex bans whenever possible. Smogon would have to make restrictions for the entire uber teir just so they could work in OU. A set of rules like that would be too complicated.

I like smogon. But them banning every other mega is getting pretty annoying.

They banned mega mawile, which I don't understand.

Mawile does have immunity to poison and dragon, but it is weak to the most commonly used moves. Fire and ground. On top of that, Flamethrower is using a special attack (mawile has lower spdef) and most teams have a fast pokemon that can Earthquake and kill mawile.

Bit it's slow speed cripples it. :p I think mawile Is a fair game in OU. I dunno smogon.

But I totally get why they ban some pokemon to balance out the rules.

Correct me if I'm wrong :)

I like smogon. But them banning every other mega is getting pretty annoying.

They banned mega mawile, which I don't understand.

Mawile does have immunity to poison and dragon, but it is weak to the most commonly used moves. Fire and ground. On top of that, Flamethrower is using a special attack (mawile has lower spdef) and most teams have a fast pokemon that can Earthquake and kill mawile.

Bit it's slow speed cripples it. :p I think mawile Is a fair game in OU. I dunno smogon.

But I totally get why they ban some pokemon to balance out the rules.

Correct me if I'm wrong :)
Mega Mawile was banned due to its overcentralization of the metagame and its lack of hard counters, Mega Mawile had 2 sets it could run, one being a Sword Dance + 3 attacks set which had a counter in the form of Heatran, but Mega Mawile could set up a Substitute on Heatran on a predicted switch which would allow it to get off a Huge Power Focus Punch. Outside of Heatran, physical defensive Arcanine was the only thing you could even consider a counter to Mega Mawile and it wasn't even OU viable due to being outclassed defensively by Heatran and when you had to rely on lower tier Pokemon just to deal with one particular threat, all it did was reinforce the idea that a Pokemon like Mega Mawile's existence in the OU tier was unhealthy and the only reasonable solution was to drop the ban hammer.

Reactions: 3823
Mega Mawile was banned due to its overcentralization of the metagame and its lack of hard counters, Mega Mawile had 2 sets it could run, one being a Sword Dance + 3 attacks set which had a counter in the form of Heatran, but Mega Mawile could set up a Substitute on Heatran on a predicted switch which would allow it to get off a Huge Power Focus Punch. Outside of Heatran, physical defensive Arcanine was the only thing you could even consider a counter to Mega Mawile and it wasn't even OU viable due to being outclassed defensively by Heatran and when you had to rely on lower tier Pokemon just to deal with one particular threat, all it did was reinforce the idea that a Pokemon like Mega Mawile's existence in the OU tier was unhealthy and the only reasonable solution was to drop the ban hammer.

Okiee >.< Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. But you are right ^-^

Honestly, I don't go by smogon. Why should I be limited to pokemon tiers based on moves and stats and whether or not there are counters? You don't always need a perfect counter or a clear cut counter that is predictable. They always have a preferred moveset to go by too. I'm not sure about you, but when I try those movesets, they are always predicted. I try to mix in my own class of battle with others to make me somewhat competitive while still having fun. These pokemon almost alwaus will have to be tweaked from their original game plan but it makes them better where smogen says the more you change it, the worse it becomes kind of recommendation. I feel that smogon has too much of an influence on online battles. It reduces creativity that would otherwise win battles. Everytime I go battle, its a team I have seen before with no differences in moves sets from another team. To me, a unique team is more important than the legitimacy of the pokemon within the team as long as they are legal. I'd rather verse hacked pokemon with a new strategy than just another repeat with legit pokemon (hacked in that sentence meant knowing moves it can't know) No matter how hacked a pokemon may be, its still defeatable with legit pokemon if you are prepared. Its a challenge I welcome.

Honestly, I don't go by smogon. Why should I be limited to pokemon tiers based on moves and stats and whether or not there are counters? You don't always need a perfect counter or a clear cut counter that is predictable. They always have a preferred moveset to go by too. I'm not sure about you, but when I try those movesets, they are always predicted. I try to mix in my own class of battle with others to make me somewhat competitive while still having fun. These pokemon almost alwaus will have to be tweaked from their original game plan but it makes them better where smogen says the more you change it, the worse it becomes kind of recommendation. I feel that smogon has too much of an influence on online battles. It reduces creativity that would otherwise win battles. Everytime I go battle, its a team I have seen before with no differences in moves sets from another team. To me, a unique team is more important than the legitimacy of the pokemon within the team as long as they are legal. I'd rather verse hacked pokemon with a new strategy than just another repeat with legit pokemon (hacked in that sentence meant knowing moves it can't know) No matter how hacked a pokemon may be, its still defeatable with legit pokemon if you are prepared. Its a challenge I welcome.
And honestly, thats fine bro. No one is going to hate you for not paying by smogon, you can do what you want. (As long as you're not like Verlisify.)

Why don't go by Smogon? It took a while for me but when I tried to see it, it made a lot of sense. Lets be honest, who would win if both teams were fully competitive and one of them had a well balanced team with Pokemon Smogon considered, Ubers and the other did as well but had Pokemon considered, UU's? It would be kinda obvious >.< Ok. I would rathar have a crappy team than a bunch of hacked well balanced fully competitve team. I agree with your last part though :p

I really don't like the Smogen concept but it really makes the game more fun and fair in a way that it is enjoyable . I really didn't like its concept when I heard first heard of it but then I saw that it pointed out many other things that are worth banning like moves that will cause endless play and other OP Pokemon so I think that we should just all accept this because without it , it would be way way more worse :/

I like Smogon because it organizes all the Pokemon into different groups depending on how good they are. It helps have more balanced matches. Getting swept by a team full of legendaries when you are using normal Pokemon is never fun.
I also think the rules they make are good. For example, sleep clause prevents sleep. I don't think it would be fun getting your whole team put to sleep then losing...

I like Smogon because it organizes all the Pokemon into different groups depending on how good they are. It helps have more balanced matches. Getting swept by a team full of legendaries when you are using normal Pokemon is never fun.
I also think the rules they make are good. For example, sleep clause prevents sleep. I don't think it would be fun getting your whole team put to sleep then losing...
I mean you can still put 1 to sleep which is extremely helpful when trying to beat a setup Pokemon andyou could just use Spore. I switched a Pokemon out and the Pokemon Thunderwaved Ferrothorn XD.

Back