[SNES] The Satellaview !

• Thread starter D4rkDragon
  • Start date
D4rkDragon

D4rkDragon

Lemon Dragon
Towns Folk
Hello everybody !

I'm here to talk you about a forgotten, Japan-only, add-on for the SNES, or the Super Famicom (for the Japan).
It is the Satellaview. There's a lot of chance that the title doesn't make you think about anything.

It's normal, because the Satellaview (or also named BS-X) was released in 1995 in Japan for ~$150.
The add-on came with an 8M Rewritable Memory Pack (to download demos/magazines/games), and its cables. The SNES directly tuned to the St. GIGA satellite when the Satellaview cartridge was inserted.

The system was quite simple; it was an add-on that you would plug under the Super Nintendo, and with the cartridge shipped with, you could play BS-X games during broadcast times (Each broadcast lasted between 30 minutes to 4 hours), and there were games that were cut in 4 parts: each part playable each week.

Interestingly, there are many titles who are worth looking at, because some of the games were exclusive to the BS-X such as a The Legend of Zelda game, a Fire Emblem game, and a revamped version of Excitebike with Mario characters.

Another thing that was interesting is the SoundLink system used by the Satellaview. All the BS-X Zelda games, as well as many others used this system, where a narrator broadcast the game's story through the St. GIGA satellite.

As of 2000, Nintendo stopped broadcasting BS-X games, and in 2007, the satellite was totally removed.

While it was a commercial failure, it was a major technological advance, as it was the "ancestor" of the online gaming services, like the Nintendo Network, the Xbox Live or even the Playstation Network.

There's also a rumour saying that Microsoft actually helped Nintendo to make the online service.
Actually, if you're interested, there's ways to play the Satellaview games, but, it'll require you to be familiar with Japanese.

> What do you think of it ? Do you think that it inspired the online gaming we have now ? Do you think it was a good idea ?

I'd love to be able and play the Zelda games they released for the service.

I'd love to be able and play the Zelda games they released for the service.

Well, I have heard that there are many websites that were made as a tribute to the Satellaview, and some of them even have some video records of the game! I think that http://superfamicom.org/blog/ will be helpful if you want to know more about the BS-X Zelda Games.

Oh, I do know about them, and have seen vids and such - I'd just love to be able to play them on genuine Nintendo hardware. It would be cool if they came to the VC service.

Oh, I do know about them, and have seen vids and such - I'd just love to be able to play them on genuine Nintendo hardware. It would be cool if they came to the VC service.

Maybe Nintendo will patch them (even the 4-Parts Games), and port them to the WiiU. There's doubts that will happen, but that would be interesting. During this time, I'll stick watching what seems to be the integrated BS-X game that is stored on the system itself (who is often named the BS-X BIOS or The Story of The Town Who's Name Was Stolen).

Hello everybody !

I'm here to talk you about a forgotten, Japan-only, add-on for the SNES, or the Super Famicom (for the Japan).
It is the Satellaview. There's a lot of chance that the title doesn't make you think about anything.

It's normal, because the Satellaview (or also named BS-X) was released in 1995 in Japan for ~$150.
The add-on came with an 8M Rewritable Memory Pack (to download demos/magazines/games), and its cables. The SNES directly tuned to the St. GIGA satellite when the Satellaview cartridge was inserted.

The system was quite simple; it was an add-on that you would plug under the Super Nintendo, and with the cartridge shipped with, you could play BS-X games during broadcast times (Each broadcast lasted between 30 minutes to 4 hours), and there were games that were cut in 4 parts: each part playable each week.

Interestingly, there are many titles who are worth looking at, because some of the games were exclusive to the BS-X such as a The Legend of Zelda game, a Fire Emblem game, and a revamped version of Excitebike with Mario characters.

Another thing that was interesting is the SoundLink system used by the Satellaview. All the BS-X Zelda games, as well as many others used this system, where a narrator broadcast the game's story through the St. GIGA satellite.

As of 2000, Nintendo stopped broadcasting BS-X games, and in 2007, the satellite was totally removed.

While it was a commercial failure, it was a major technological advance, as it was the "ancestor" of the online gaming services, like the Nintendo Network, the Xbox Live or even the Playstation Network.

There's also a rumour saying that Microsoft actually helped Nintendo to make the online service.
Actually, if you're interested, there's ways to play the Satellaview games, but, it'll require you to be familiar with Japanese.

> What do you think of it ? Do you think that it inspired the online gaming we have now ? Do you think it was a good idea ?
I actually really like the concept. It's kid like the early version of a video game streaming service (looking at you Microsoft :eyes:) but more Cable TV like. It's a subscription service for the Super Famicom.

I imagine some people might call it "The Nintendo Channel" going "Watch the drama TV show later! I'm gonna miss playing BS Super Mario USA!" I know that the levels are separated on a by episode thing, which is weird, as the episodes are kinda short from the footage I've watched of BS Super Mario USA. I'm still wondering why they made BS Super Mario USA, even though it wasn't even released in the USA lol.

The thing that bothers me all the time when someone mentions the Satellaview, is that you can't even access the games anymore! They're just gone. Forever. Unless someone at Nintendo decides to release them lol (never gonna happen at least for YEARS), or someone illegally uploads the files of these games to the internet, which would be bad cuz it's illegal. But damn, I wanna play these games so bad.

Back