So I played the Pikmin 3 Demo....

• Thread starter Sunny_Meows
  • Start date
Sunny_Meows

Sunny_Meows

I like to what I want to do
Towns Folk
OK, having never played a Pikmin game before, and seeing the series being loved by many, I decided to check it out.

The demo lets you play through the story mode until the end of "The Captain's Signal?" mission and the first side mission.

Even though it was just a demo, I spent over 3 hours in it! It was a lot of fun! It does a great job of walking you through how the game works, as well as interesting concepts.

One of my favorite and most memorable experiences were the giant crystal-covered exoskeleton worm boss thing. It was a really good boss fight! I spat out a lot of stuff! I watched in awe as its dead body was being carried across the bridges and terrain all the way back to the onion, including a dragonfruit and a cellphone (not sure why it was ringing tho).

The game looks wonderful, and the aesthetic is charming and great fun to look at! Across my playthrough I was like-- that's a lemon! That's a flower pot! That's a golden cherry?!?!

The names they gave the dragonfruit, lemons, and other PNF-404 things were funny too!

Definitely buying the full version.... Eventually.

The fact that I spent more than 3 hours on this DEMO is what convinced me. The plot is intriguing too!

As for the Pikmans themselves, they look cute! It was a shame when they died though. Across the story mode, I had 9 pikmin die at the hands of some crystal throwing creature at day 3, then some 40 something die at day 5 because I was walking on autopilot iirc. It was very upsetting to see my pikmin die! I ended up redoing day 5. I also had one die at an electric fence on day 5 because I used the X button. Oops!

The only issue I have with this game is the pointer controls. I used gyro (cuz that feels better). They feel great, but not really the best. Either that or my joy cons are just bad, or I'm bad at handling things. I'm pretty sure it's because I'm bad at handling things.

My pointer ended up going to the farthest reaches of the screen most of the time, good thing they have a reset pointer button and a function to lock in your target. My right analog stick also drifted a bit, but that wasn't much of an issue. I'm gonna try it out with a Pro Controller soon to see if that works better for me.

Have you played it? What are your thoughts? I'll check in a few hours, I'm going to bed! It's 3:53 AM rn lol

Reactions: Jisenku, Deepak, Marc and 1 other person
I loved the demo. But I felt it was too short. I finished all the tasks by day 3. And day 4 was the boss fight. If I buy the game, i'll probably finish it pretty fast. So this is probably a game that i'll borrow from a friend or i'll buy when there's a huge sale. And I liked the names for the fruits too. (lemon- Face wrinkler. Dragonfruit- Fire breathing feast). Its my first time playing pikmin and it was such a unique experience. I played handheld and felt it a bit hard to aim. But the lock on target feature was super helpful. Theres a lot of multitasking and management to do and it's unique and fun. After i finished the demo, I tried out the missions mode and there was one challenge unlocked. It was a challenge where you have to collect as much fruit as possible. After 2 or so tries I finally got a gold medal. And I finished the demo.

• Informative
Reactions: Sunny_Meows
I loved the demo. But I felt it was too short. I finished all the tasks by day 3. And day 4 was the boss fight. If I buy the game, i'll probably finish it pretty fast. So this is probably a game that i'll borrow from a friend or i'll buy when there's a huge sale. And I liked the names for the fruits too. (lemon- Face wrinkler. Dragonfruit- Fire breathing feast). Its my first time playing pikmin and it was such a unique experience. I played handheld and felt it a bit hard to aim. But the lock on target feature was super helpful. Theres a lot of multitasking and management to do and it's unique and fun. After i finished the demo, I tried out the missions mode and there was one challenge unlocked. It was a challenge where you have to collect as much fruit as possible. After 2 or so tries I finally got a gold medal. And I finished the demo.
You got a gold medal?!?!?! I only get bronze :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm really bad at this aiming thing hahaha, as well as managing my pikmin especially when they're doing other tasks. I finished all the tasks and the boss in story mode on hard mode on day 5, so it definitely gets easier with experience.

Day 6 just gives you a preview of the next mission when you go back to your save file, but I'm so excited!

I feel like this would also be a borrow from a friend game. Now if only I had friends to borrow it from....

Reactions: Deepak
i am very fond of the pikmim series.
while i was early to the series knowing it way back in gamecube days , i always look forward to new pikminngames.
the atmosphere , music and characters are charming.
i like captain olimar the most.

pikmin 2 is my favorite game in the series.
the music in that game i consider to be the best.
i always thought about it geting port in the future for more recent nintendo system , maybe with new modes or maps andnmaybe stuff for pikmin to collect.
while i no longer have the game or the system anymore i would play pikmin 2 again if i had a chance.

pikmim 3 was a bright ray of sunshine for me.
its reveal and eventual release made me happy.
however for pikmin 3 i am late to the party with the game.
i have been on the fence about getting it for wii u.

pikmin 3 was biggest reason i wanted a wii u along with smash for wii u “i still want that smash wii u even though no have wii u”.
but overtime i drifted away attention from pikmin 3 and wii u and in the end did not get it or wii u.
but with the switch port i do hope to play it on switch someday.
the new pikmin , characters and that there is more than 2 playable characters in the game along with the bosses is some of the charms that make me highly into pikmin 3 , i think pikmin 3 is a wonderful game and is worth playing.

Back