Software Kit for the Nintendo NX now being distributed [LEAK]

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
I'm not sure if this is true or not, but according to the contents of the quote, Nintendo is already distributing its development software kit for the NX console. Even without an official announcement, they feel it'll come out in 2016.
Wall Street Journal said:
Nintendo Co. has begun distributing a software development kit for its new NX videogame platform, people familiar with the matter said, suggesting the company is on track to introduce the product as early as next year.

The exact shape of the NX hardware isn’t yet clear. People familiar with the development plans said Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use. They also said Nintendo would aim to put industry-leading chips in the NX devices, after criticism that the Wii U’s capabilities didn’t match those of competitors.
Source: MyNintendoNews.​
What do you think?

Reactions: 18 and Gamer4647
Nice. I hope the kit also becomes available for us regular people! That way, we will be seeing tons of good indie games! I really liked that Nintendo used processors from local and low-profile Japanese manufacturers though. Oh, well, at least it will be cheaper if it's from AMD,Intel or HP. Can't say no to that! I just hope the NX lives up to the hype it has going for it so far!

What really interests me if this is real is

People familiar with the development plans said Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use

So this would make it extremely similar to the Wii U, in that it would (if my understanding is correct) have a tablet device, but it would be more portable? So they would be making something like an upgraded Wii U, where the tablet controller would work like a portable gaming device. I'm honestly not too sure about this spelling success for Nintendo, as I believe one of the biggest reasons of the Wii U's failure was the price tag. Now, if they still use the same concept AND upgrade the system at the same time, upgrading the "tablet" as well, I think that it would either cost a really large amount, or, they would have to sell it with minimum profit.

What really interests me if this is real is

So this would make it extremely similar to the Wii U, in that it would (if my understanding is correct) have a tablet device, but it would be more portable? So they would be making something like an upgraded Wii U, where the tablet controller would work like a portable gaming device. I'm honestly not too sure about this spelling success for Nintendo, as I believe one of the biggest reasons of the Wii U's failure was the price tag. Now, if they still use the same concept AND upgrade the system at the same time, upgrading the "tablet" as well, I think that it would either cost a really large amount, or, they would have to sell it with minimum profit.
For both the WiiU and 3DS systems, Nintendo used parts from "unknown" Japanese manufacturers to boost the national market, which means that it was also more expensive, as they weren't mass produced at the time. If it switches to another manufacturer for the parts, it can be significantly less expensive and even be at around just 300$ at launch!

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but according to the contents of the quote, Nintendo is already distributing its development software kit for the NX console. Even without an official announcement, they feel it'll come out in 2016.

Source: MyNintendoNews.​
What do you think?
For the "industry-leading" chip, rumours says that it's going to be a x86 (or x86-64) "semi-custom" (designed for consoles) AMD CPU. At least for the console part, chances are the "mobile part" will be, obviously ARM (x86 processors are not used that much in mobile units, no matter if it's a tablet/phone or a handheld console.)

As for the distributions of the SDKs, it doesn't surprise me: that way, studios have time to build up the NX's lineup. However, I can feel some salt (hint: People who bought the WiiU recently won't like it.) if they do plan on releasing the NX next year. Or they'd better plan something like they did with the N3DS, but better, and world-wide (not 50€ reductions like we got in France, Ninty. That's still 150€ to cash, and it's absurd!)

Well, the 2 units tie in with the 'hybrid' feel that everybody's talking about and the more common processors sound like a good start with improvements.

However, I can feel some salt (hint: People who bought the WiiU recently won't like it.) if they do plan on releasing the NX next year.

Well, it always happens. Happened with the New Nintendo 3DS; people whined over just a Wii port... opps, 'exclusive'... and the N3DS was 4 years after the original system released... and it's just an upgraded model.

All I have left to say is welcome to life :D
There'll always be criticism

Reactions: D4rkDragon
Even though Software Kits are usually distributed about a year in advance of launch, I still don't feel as if the NX will release in 2016, but that's beside the point. "Industry-leading chips," eh? Looks like spoiled gamers care too much about how powerful a system is, lol. Oh well, it just might be the thing that Nintendo needs...

This could indicate a late 2016 release date if the kits are distributed this early. Although most likely it's gonna be a mid 2017 or early 2018 release console, and the fact that there's gonna be one console unit and one mobile unit seems like a pretty interesting concept, can't wait to see that in action!

Kits being distributed already? Probably they're for game developers. And a handheld unit? The NX looks very interesting now. I wonder if we'll be able to see them.

Back