Sony no longer interested in making handheld consoles

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
To be honest, I wasn't expecting Sony to make another handheld console. Their most noteworthy were the PS Vita and PSP. I've heard how the PS Vita was a flop, but I'm not sure how true that is. I've only ever used a PSP before :panda:

But yea, it's now known that Sony is no longer interested in competing in the handheld console market. The president of the company confirmed this and they're going to focus their effort on the big screen.

How do you guys feel about this? Did you want another PlayStation Portable console?

Reactions: AricAttack
I used to want a ps vita but then the new 3ds xl came out and I went all out crazy because I thought it had a button that would let you fast-forward downloads.

• Funny
Reactions: Jisenku
I guess it's hard to compete, even when it is just Nintendo, with their creative ideas. It's not like the games on the handheld were bad it just seems like they didn't sell. They had some good features like having your screen show up on the TV among other things, but then the Switch just took that idea and ran with it. I hope they make a better console with some good exclusives so they stay afloat. Oh yeah the PSVita? Blame the 3DS Pedia for that.

It's a good thing considered how they treated Vita, lol.
Vita had the opposite problem of the WiiU, while that was kept afloat by the really good Nintendo exclusives, the PSVita was kept alive by third party developers. All the good games were basically indies or obscure jap stuff.

While I would have appreciated another Sony handheld, I love the PSP and the Vita after all, I am happy enough with the Switch.

It's for the best. A Vita successor probably just be a Playstation Now machine tbh. There'd be no incentive to play its exclusives when you can just stream AAA games imo.

I guess it's hard to compete, even when it is just Nintendo, with their creative ideas. It's not like the games on the handheld were bad it just seems like they didn't sell.
Not to mention the Vita had a proprietary memory card (as opposed to a standard microSD) that was way too expensive for its own good. Also most of its library is also available on other consoles, and more often than not the Vita version was inferior (more content, better loading times, etc). Iirc the only actual exclusives left are Persona 4 Golden and Soul Sacrifice.

not to go into the vita hacking scene or anything, but i recently got a vita after being like strictly nintendo after my DS cuz i didn't like my brother's psp much. im not gonna lie, the vita is a homebrew MACHINE. the capabilities on the thing are NUTS and tbh rn i use it as a remote play handheld to play the witcher 3, sonic adventure, and other story mode games on either my pc or PS4 cuz why not? but you can put mad emulators on it and it even plays psp games sooo you can't even go wrong with it especially when they're so cheap to get second-hand now. anyways, im honestly sad that sony discontinued the vita and its handheld plans since the vita might've underperformed here in the states and outside of japan, but its still a very good handheld nonetheless, even with nintendo dominating the handheld scene, it was always nice to see sony still making a far spec-superior console for the people who liked to play anything besides kid-friendly games like mario, animal crossing, etc.

Back