Splatoon 2 Splatoon 2: The Hydra Trap

• Thread starter Kadaj
  • Start date
Kadaj

Kadaj

The Masochistic Hardcore Player XP
Towns Folk
so for a while i didnt bother getting the hydra splatling due to some inconveniences it gave me in some salmon runs, but i heard some people say its pretty good and i decided to give it a second chance hoping to blame salmon run itself for things not going well many times i had it there. and surprisingly it actually gave my team some squeeze wins in turf wars and a couple rounds of clam blitz (i obviously play the basket guard if using hydra for this mode). barely had anyone near the basket as id just full charge whenever i know someones coming, very easy to get away with in clam blitz and many times they either barely got any clams in or broke the barrier with no one to keep lobbing shells as all their teammates were either splatted or too far away to help.

now for the turf wars, it was honestly hard to not laugh when i was using this. i had a lot of games where i kept the opposing team members stuck in the same spot since i hopelessly outranged them. even made cocky blobber people stuck in a loop of jumping and mashing ZR as they were just barely out of range to get splatted. then someone decided to get impatient and climbed the stairs to try to blobber splat me and id easily beaten them to it since i knew they were coming before they actually got up the stairs. splatted in like 3 seconds.

there was also another game where i kept someone trapped on a conveyor belt and they decided to waste time struggling to do anything instead of running away. threw a few auto bombs but mostly used mid level to max charges and they were literally panic jumping in hopelessly infinite loop. teammates ended up taking 60% of the ground on this one (remember guys, its not always good to waste time on a situation that just doesnt work lol). i also splatted several people easily while keeping the ground inked for winning side and teammate escape routes.

ive never had even one person trapped in one place consistently like this, i thought charger camping was broken (i cant use these but some make it work well). but this? youre not making progress anytime soon at all. cant imagine how nightmarish rainmaker is when youve got a hydra user who knows what theyre doing. i played this weapon for several hours and not once was i outranged by people, in fact, i was the one doing the annoying trapping this time lol... probably annoyed all these people to oblivion since i made it impossible to get clos3 but oh well

Reactions: Mizunil and Deepak
so for a while i didnt bother getting the hydra splatling due to some inconveniences it gave me in some salmon runs, but i heard some people say its pretty good and i decided to give it a second chance hoping to blame salmon run itself for things not going well many times i had it there. and surprisingly it actually gave my team some squeeze wins in turf wars and a couple rounds of clam blitz (i obviously play the basket guard if using hydra for this mode). barely had anyone near the basket as id just full charge whenever i know someones coming, very easy to get away with in clam blitz and many times they either barely got any clams in or broke the barrier with no one to keep lobbing shells as all their teammates were either splatted or too far away to help.

now for the turf wars, it was honestly hard to not laugh when i was using this. i had a lot of games where i kept the opposing team members stuck in the same spot since i hopelessly outranged them. even made cocky blobber people stuck in a loop of jumping and mashing ZR as they were just barely out of range to get splatted. then someone decided to get impatient and climbed the stairs to try to blobber splat me and id easily beaten them to it since i knew they were coming before they actually got up the stairs. splatted in like 3 seconds.

there was also another game where i kept someone trapped on a conveyor belt and they decided to waste time struggling to do anything instead of running away. threw a few auto bombs but mostly used mid level to max charges and they were literally panic jumping in hopelessly infinite loop. teammates ended up taking 60% of the ground on this one (remember guys, its not always good to waste time on a situation that just doesnt work lol). i also splatted several people easily while keeping the ground inked for winning side and teammate escape routes.

ive never had even one person trapped in one place consistently like this, i thought charger camping was broken (i cant use these but some make it work well). but this? youre not making progress anytime soon at all. cant imagine how nightmarish rainmaker is when youve got a hydra user who knows what theyre doing. i played this weapon for several hours and not once was i outranged by people, in fact, i was the one doing the annoying trapping this time lol... probably annoyed all these people to oblivion since i made it impossible to get clos3 but oh well
Chargers could get you though right? Especially when you're shooting and you have low mobility.

Reactions: Mizunil
Maybe I'll try it out now after reading this :eyes:
I've only tried it in salmon run and tbh I didn't like it that much, mainly because the charge time is long and you need a position with distance. But, in salmon run enemies are constantly near and almost everyone's constantly on the front lines.

But I'll test it out in other modes, from reading this it seems to be really good if you can get & hold a good position. The range makes it so you play in spots similar to a charger? Meaning most people can't usually reach you with just a weapon, unless a charger :p

Reactions: Kadaj
i did keep several charger users pinned though (to response you both as best i can), i mostly got splatted if i was caught with below half charge or if someone ambushed me from behind (any weapons can die like this though tbh). a full charge is not always needed, its very difficult to outrange this thing even with many chargers, you have to get the full charge before th3 hydra person does since when its already firing even splat brellas cant take many hits before breaking making the user an easy target (ive seen people chew through some of these like butter wielding hydra). i will add at least 2 main power up sinc3 ink saver doesnt seem necessary for this weapon, i hear it can 2 shot if you have enough of this which is insane considering its crazy reach

ane yeah, the hydra is definitely a lot more difficult in salom runs than rainmaker, clam blitz and turf wars since you almost always have mobs hording at you and your teammates to oblivion. its tricky to even get a half charge when they just dont wanna leave you alone or if theres simply way too many boss salmonids (this makes everything struggle though unfortunately). i feel the more fast and spammy weapons are easier in salmon runs personally, but i may just need more practice with hydra to adapt to a mess with it (even then will still die sometimes though)

A good hydra can be really carry a team in most modes. Like i've played against teams where no one in the team was getting kills except the hydra user. You should try using it in splat zones. I haven't used it but it seems like a good pick. Because you can ink the zone quickly from a safe distance cuz of the range and ink spread. Hydra can be really good in salmon run too. You just need to remember that it's a boss killer and nothing more. Always go for the bosses and hope that your team can make a path for you and kill off the smaller salmonoids. If you like the hydra splatling, you should try the ballpoint splatling. It's way faster and it's far shots almost have the same range as hydra. And also try out the jet squelcher. It's like the hydra splatling but smaller ink spread and similar range. And it's amazing for splat zones too. Very campy playstyle for jet though.

Back