Splatoon: Amazing 2D Platformer?

• Thread starter VirtulJordan
  • Start date
VirtulJordan

VirtulJordan

Pokemon Master
Towns Folk
Splatoon is no doubt one of Nintendos most successful New IP's in recent years. Although, being a part of the Nintendo family means you may have to go through some experimentation. Mario, Link, Kirby, all have been through multiple gaming phases which changed their playstyle dramatically such as Mario RPG to Kirby Canvas Curse. So what experiment could Splatoon go through?

It's not very crazy to think Splatoon could very well go through its own 2D phase. For example, you can look at the recently released Hey Pikmin. It takes a 3D adventure and puzzle game and makes it into a 2D sidescroller which uses the mechanics from the original Pikmin games and has them fit perfectly in a rather enjoyable 2D puzzle game, along with some new additions as well.

So what about Splatoon? Well, Splatoon has some fun gameplay elements that would be perfect for a 2D platformer. Shooting the ground with ink then swimming through it to gain speed. Shoot ink on the walls than either swim up the wall or jump from wall to wall in the ink you splattered. Collect a variety of weapons to help handle certain situations or enemies that get in your way. Use Ink Rails or Sponges for some rather tricky and puzzling platforming segments. Splatoon is such a perfect match for a 2D platformer that the ideas just keep coming.

So what do you think? Would you like to see a 2D platformer based on Splatoon? What cool gameplay features you like to see in it?

I think that might work as a minigame, or even parts of the story mode.
As a whole game I don't think it'd work. Since Splatoon is more known for its multiplayer modes,
I think it'd be weird for 4v4 on a side scroller map.

To ink the opponents you'd need to walk a cross them, which is almost impossible trout dying.
(Unless you have a charger) The game mechanics would have to be altered a lot.

If Splatoon was a side scroller it would be a completely different game.
Who knows, it might be good. But it wouldn't be like Splatoon.

Reactions: VirtulJordan
I think that might work as a minigame, or even parts of the story mode.
As a whole game I don't think it'd work. Since Splatoon is more known for its multiplayer modes,
I think it'd be weird for 4v4 on a side scroller map.

To ink the opponents you'd need to walk a cross them, which is almost impossible trout dying.
(Unless you have a charger) The game mechanics would have to be altered a lot.

If Splatoon was a side scroller it would be a completely different game.
Who knows, it might be good. But it wouldn't be like Splatoon.
Yes, and no. You see Splatoon is a multiplayer focused game, but a handheld splatoon would have to be a Single Player focused game, and beyond that, it would not have to change much. Weapons would work the exact same, just on a 2D plane. Again think of it like Hello Pikmin, where the 3D game mechanics of Pikmin got transferred into a 2D play style, and it worked perfectly. In a 2D splatoon it would work the same. Shooting guns from every angle on a 2D plane, Shooting Ink Sponges to make platforms, riding both left and right on Ink rails, Shooting ink on walls to scale them. It would play like Splatoons story mode, just in 2D. The only thing that would change is it being a single player focused game rather than a multiplayer focused game.

Reactions: Mizunil
I think a 2d platformer would be really cool. Maybe they can make it one of those arcade game like in splatoon 1. Or maybe even a completely separate game for like 15 dollars. Using different weapons in 2d would look cool too. But that would mean weapons like rollers would be of no use because in 2d, it doesn't matter how much turf they ink. But honestly I think a 3d platformer would be better . But Nintendo wouldn't do that because hero mode is has lots of platforming sections already.

I think Nintendo just wanted a better multiplayer shooter in the genre. Not something they already did before with countless IPs. If they did try for one though it would involve options the way Kirby or Mega Man games do when using and swapping them out. Sliding could be added from Mega Man, boss design like Kirby. Not that hard to think up.

Reactions: Mizunil
I'd be kinda skeptical of a splatoon 2d platformer since splatoon isn't exactly a platformer game. It does have some platforming elements maybe? Just I don't think it would be as fitting maybe. I don't know. If someone could make a 2d platformer similar to the little 2 second clip we got from the very first splatoon single player trailer I'd be down to play it for myself if i had the chance to.

Back