Splatoon - Global Testfire Demo ~ First Impressions

• Thread starter mrlmaokun
  • Start date
mrlmaokun

mrlmaokun

I am the chosen one.
Towns Folk
I'm sure many of us had the privilege of getting the demo and having it for an hour of.. testing. How did you think it was ? Like it ? Hated it ? Post your opinions below.

To be honest, it took a while to get used to the gyroscope based controls, but after the quick tutorial in the beginning it was easy to grasp.

The mechanics of the game play are pretty simple. He's a squid, she's a squid, everyone's a squid-squid. Basically you just have to spray ink all over the place to mark territory. To "reload", you just have to transform into neo-squid mode and soak in the ink that's splatted all over the place (clear defiance of conservation of mass, but I digress). Aiming was my first concern, but I felt as if there was some auto-aim on so that helped to be honest.

The core weapons were simple; 2 smaller paint-guns used to spread paint as you move quickly, a large paint roller to cover a huge radius of area, albeit slowly, and a large paint-gun with barely no paint coverage unless charged. I disliked the latter 2, and opted for the smaller guns as I prefer to rush.

Turf war as a game mode was fun at first, but after the 5th or 6th game, I got pretty bored. To be honest I've played a couple of shooters, and this one stopped seeming fun after a little while. I sincerely hope that the demo was a huge restriction of content (and I mean about 95% ) compared to the scheduled full release game, otherwise I won't be seeing myself getting this.

Nintendo's 2014 was great, MK8 , Sm4sh, Pokemon OR/AS, PLvAA etc.
I hope 2015 can compare.

Edit - If you didn't get a chance today, the other times to test the demos occur today, 9th of May, from 4am to 5am PST (7am to 8am EST) and 12pm to 1pm PST (3pm to 4pm EST). You can download the demo at anytime, but it will only work during the active times mentioned.

Last edited:
I'm gonna download the demo tomorrow and hopefully have time to play during one of the global testfires. From what I've heard the testfire was not really as good as expected, but it's just a demo so maybe there will be more stuff to look forward to in the full game?

I'm gonna download the demo tomorrow and hopefully have time to play during one of the global testfires. From what I've heard the testfire was not really as good as expected, but it's just a demo so maybe there will be more stuff to look forward to in the full game?
I watched over the direct. I've decided I'm gonna save the money, game doesn't suit my tastes+I don't think you get value for your money.

God I need this game injected in my veins. Even joined a Splatoon forum idek I lost control of my life after the Nintendo Direct.

Roller isn't OP. Not sure why people are sayin that

I watched over the direct. I've decided I'm gonna save the money, game doesn't suit my tastes+I don't think you get value for your money.

...Endless multiplayer value, 10 hours campaign, tons of customization and promised DLC that will DOUBLE the weapons / maps for FREE over the summer isn't enough value for you?

Psshh, kids these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to play the demo but it was on at stupid-o-clock. I mean they picked really early in the morning, late at night and bang in the middle of the day. If I would have wanted to play it i would have to get up at 4 in the morning.

Wait, scratch that, that's in PST meaning I will still have a chance to play it, yayyyy

Yeah, I played it. Was super fun, probably will ask for it or Xenoblade Chronicles X if I'm good

I played the first round and I missed the second one. I woke up at the wrong time, so I'm bummed about that. Had a blast even though I'm not very good. My favorite part so far has been running into other rollers and following the opposite's team roller.

Just in case anyone here is REALLY wanting to prolong their play sessions, you can get in the tutorial before the servers shut down and stay in it and play around. Good for playing around with the controls.

i loved the splatoon globak test fire.It was amazing.Tell me what you thought of it?

I liked the testfire, it gave me a good feel for what to expect in the full game, and also it makes me even more tem0ted to buy the full game. I loved using splat roller because he could easily cover a wide area with ink just by running around, but he's kind of bad for combat against opponents, which is why a good team of mixed coverage and attackers is necessary.

I think that the Test Fire demo of Splatoon was a really good one since it does really give a good feeling of the game and to try out the controls and the game play , you can't really expect everyone to like the game so I guess that you must have different tastes , but to me the demo is already something fantastic :D

Will they have another test-fire? I missed it...

Also, will you need a Nintendo ID to play online? I know you need on to get the demo, but, does playing online need it? Cause, I never made one for the Wii U, I never cared to since I had no online games and didn't care about the eShop. But, do I need to make one?

The Splatoon Global Testfire was definitely something that I enjoyed. The types of weapons you could use in-game was pretty cool (I especially liked the Paint Roller in Turf Wars). Turf wars was the only interval I was able to attend, but my heart is content nonetheless! Only a matter of time until this clump of hype releases internationaly! :p

Back