Steamworld Dig's replay value

• Thread starter 18
  • Start date

Lime Pawpaw
Towns Folk
Like everyone else, I loved Steamworld Dig when I first played it. It was just so original, being able to mine and create your own paths deeper and deeper into the game, and the story was good. I loved it when I first played it, but having made several unsuccessful attempts at a second playthrough over the past year I think that once you end it, there isn't much replay value in the game.

There is no New Game+, and starting a whole new game is frustrating for me because it means going the long way to get better pickaxes and be able to dig deeper. I suppose it was a necessity for them to not have a New Game+ to not break the game's story, but there are no extra modes either, and I think it isn't ever as fun as the first time again.

Did anyone else feel this way, or am I just doing it wrong? :unsure:

I bought the game last time it was on sale. I find the game cool. But I haven't finished it yet because I kinda wanna plan my every 'dig'.

I also want to reset my game because there are parts that I can't hold a grip on the wall anymore to climb up. (Or that's just me being a noobster.) I am also kinda lost for the items, as I don't know where I will put the lanterns and stuff.

I think a second playthrough would mean you need to dig things you haven't found yet?

I think a second playthrough would mean you need to dig things you haven't found yet?
No, it's starting the story over, with the old pickaxe that can't dig anything but the weakest spots. It's incredibly frustrating because that way you'll have to put in another whole lot of time to get to doing stuff you didn't do before.

Reactions: faustine
No, it's starting the story over, with the old pickaxe that can't dig anything but the weakest spots. It's incredibly frustrating because that way you'll have to put in another whole lot of time to get to doing stuff you didn't do before.

Ah, so did you use another save file? Because that would be sooo frustrating if you were to start all over again.

Ah, so did you use another save file? Because that would be sooo frustrating if you were to start all over again.
Yes. The game doesn't save when you beat it, so if you load that savefile you start at the last savepoint before you ended the game. There's no New Game+, which bothers me a lot. :cry:

I got the game from 3DSpedia and I haven't played it a lot yet (about 3 hours I think). While it's a fun casual game there isn't much challenge or story in it so far. I play it when I am bored but not in the mood to think a lot. The feeling that i get is that it isn't too replayable because the game revolves around working towards a certain goal and starting all over would be frustrating. Something like an endless mode would've been interesting though. (Just keep digging and leveling up and try to get a value as high as possible. Maybe even a weekly ranking between you and your friends or something?) I suppose if you can get over the fact that you have to start all over again it would be replayable...:coffee: I don't feel like I really bonded with the storyline or anything so far so restarting wouldn't be a real problem to me (but it's probably too early to judge.)

Reactions: 18
Back