Sub Vs. Dub: The Ultimate Battle!

• Thread starter TribstyAnn
  • Start date

Do you prefer Sub or Dubs?

• Definitely Subs! Dubs are the biggest problem facing out society today.

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Dub. I like hearing my own language.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Depends.

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
TribstyAnn

TribstyAnn

Me.
Towns Folk
Subs versus Dubs. Wow.

I know lots of people can get into this debate. I've heard many different sub elitist too. I've just wondered what the big deal is. I know there are lots of crappy dubs out there, and yes, most often the sub is the obviously better choice, but why are some people so elitist about it. Some people don't like reading subtitle, and prefer to hear whatever anime they're watching in their own native language. I can personally relate. When I first started watching anime, I couldn't STAND sub and would ONLY watch dubs. My horizons eventually broadened and now I often prefer subs.

But that isn't to say I haven't watched some good dubs. Clannad, one of the first anime's I watched, had a rather good dub, in my opinion. I felt like to acting was fairly good, and the voices fit each character well. I have a hard time seeing any other voice to those characters now. Baccano! was another anime that had an excellent dub, with expressive characters and well matched voices.

I know that most dubs are of pretty bad quality, with boring actors that don't really fit their parts. This had led many to write off dubs completely. I feel like this is a mistake as completely closing your mind to the possibility of a good dub existing can limit you from seeing some good shows.

Personally I feel it depends on the specific anime and the quality of either the sub or dub. Quantity wise there are way more good subs than dubs, but there are still good dubs too. That's why I've never understood people who are sub only elitists. Some subs are downright awful. Can't really think of any right now though. As with everything in life, it's not black and white (for lack of a better phrase). There are both good and bad on both sides.

Reactions: V_Weeb
In my opinion subs would take away from the experience as you would constantly be reading the dialog. Sure dubbing can give atrocities *CoughSAO* But at least you can watch what is happening while getting the story. So I'm with team rubber lips XD

Reactions: TribstyAnn
Well i can pretty much read and watch at the same time so sub doesn't take away any of the experience for me, Even though i usually prefer subs because of the *shiver* *shiver* horrible voice acting well sometimes it can be fun when the voice acting is bad but it takes away from the story. And even though clannad has one of the best dubs *i've* seen i can't get over the mistakes the dubs makes.(nigisa, its NAgisa)

Well i can pretty much read and watch at the same time so sub doesn't take away any of the experience for me, Even though i usually prefer subs because of the *shiver* *shiver* horrible voice acting well sometimes it can be fun when the voice acting is bad but it takes away from the story. And even though clannad has one of the best dubs *i've* seen i can't get over the mistakes the dubs makes.(nigisa, its NAgisa)
But i do agree with you on the point on sub ''elitists''

Subs over dubs any day. I don't mind reading and I don't feel that it takes the experience away from what I'm watching at all.

I could see why some people would prefer dubs, but personally, it's dubs which take the experience away because to me it jsut looks/sounds odd then.

I'm curious if any of you have seen Baccano! dubbed. Not only was it the best dub I've seen, it was just a really good show. I would highly reccomed it.

Though in general I much prefer subs.

Reactions: Ashkil
It entirely depends on what it is I'm watching. The obvious complaint is that you're reading the subtitles more than watching the anime. But sometimes the dub is badly translated and the dialogue sound jagged and wonky. (Or poor choice in voice actors.)
I think the Japanese language sounds beautiful, so I don't have a problem with subs.

Subs over dubs, not only for the authenticity of it but also because nothing can quite capture the feel of a show quite like the original actors.

There are some with great dubs, sometimes even better than the subs. Any of Watanabe's work - Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo and especially Space Dandy had better english dubs than the original Japanese voices. Baccano and Black Lagoon had excellent dubs as well, and I found the dubs in Death Note far better than the original.

On the other hand you have some absolutely terrible dubs. Kallen Kozuki from Code Geass was so bad (though the rest were quite good, especially Lelouch himself). Ghost in the Shell (the original anime movie) had some of the worst dubbing I've ever heard.

It really depends on how much the producers care

I have yet to see any dub that is outright better than it's sub. Most points have already been made: poor translation, bad sync and most importantly, bad voice acting. Most of the time, english anime dubs have voice actors who sound so unenthused and bored. More than one of you recommend the Baccano! dub, but I couldn't even get past the first episode because the narrative was so dull.

Let it be known, I'm no anime enthusiast and I haven't watched loads of them. These are just my experiences thus far.

More than one of you recommend the Baccano! dub, but I couldn't even get past the first episode because the narrative was so dull.

I would reccomend that you stick with it. The first episode is by far the slowest as it has to introduce the myriad of characters in the show. The second and third episode is really where the story starts rolling. I don't think anyone could call Baccano! slow and boring after that.

Reactions: 28142
I have no idea why people act like watching and reading subs at the same time is so hard.

Subs.

I have no idea why people act like watching and reading subs at the same time is so hard.
I wouldn't say it's hard but it's something I had to get used to when I started >< Then when I switched back to English dub, it took a while for me to get accustomed to English sub once again. That was long, long ago.

I just like English sub because of the Japanese voices <3

Some English voices ruin good moments in anime ;-; A perfect example is when @Alex was turned off of the anime recommendation I sent him a trailer to recently. Everything was fine until he heard the English voice :p

Reactions: V_Weeb, Ace and 28142
One of the funniest things in anime is when the Japanese actors try to speak English. Like Irina-sensei in assassination classroom. I thought it was hilarious how it was supposed to be english, but I had to rewatch it before I even realized that it wasn't still Japanese. Though I do understand how that could be annoying, though.

Reactions: 28142
I'd like to say depends, because a few anime are better to me as dubbed, such as FMA and DBZ, but they are in such a minority that I definitely have to say sub. I don't get why I hate dubs to much, they seem so cringey and forced. Subbed just flows, like it's just the way it's meant to be.

I think it depends. As for dubbing, as long as it's done right without feeling like being forced or anything, it won't be a huge problem at all. One of the reasons I'm getting used to watch the dub was because the anime (or any imported shows like Tokusatsu or even some movies) were dubbed in my local language when I was a little kid. However, I think subbing can have some nice plus when I wanted to hear some Japanese.

Back