Summer Assignments

• Thread starter Jack
  • Start date
Jack

Jack

♪ I think I'll try defying gravity ♪
Towns Folk
Do you guys have to do complete any homework over the summer for school? This summer I have to read and annotate two books, and I must also write a synopses of each chapter from each book. Summer is almost half over already and I've barely started reading. I'm a terribly slow reader and can't get myself to sit down and focus, so it's really stressing me out.

Reactions: amirally27
I took two classes this past month, Federal Government and Speech Communications. I also have an English summer reading project to do after these classes are over with. This is great because my mind stays on track with schoolwork and not just be dumbfounded when the school year starts
#Seniors2016

I was never much of a fan. For better or for worse, summer is downtime in America and much of Europe. The claws of education shouldn't be able to reach you at that point, especially with elaborate work. Education already seems to overstep its bounds and I always thought (and still do) that in most cases tampering with summer is really taking it too far.

On the bright side, I'm all about English and literature, so the very lit-oriented summer work was my thing, I guess, even if a lot of the picks for summer reading were awful. These days, looking at some lists, I can only say it's gotten worse. I feel sorry for you guys if you have to deal with this tripe. I'm hoping that someday I'll be consulted for putting together a summer reading list. If summer reading is a must, I'd rather subject those poor kids to a list of worthwhile books I've discovered (and would actually enjoy teaching and talking about) than the usual nonsense, the mountains of generic teenager stories, and the books that nobody would have ever heard of or read if they weren't forced upon unfortunate students.

Do you guys have to do complete any homework over the summer for school? This summer I have to read and annotate two books, and I must also write a synopses of each chapter from each book. Summer is almost half over already and I've barely started reading. I'm a terribly slow reader and can't get myself to sit down and focus, so it's really stressing me out.
Sort of like I have then. Give what I think about each chapter of two books. Personally I do think it's a good thing to read books that are entertaining as well as meaningful (last year it was The Great Gatsby and Huckleberry Finn and this year it's Frankenstein and the book I just finished The Lord of The Flies) however it takes it's toll and time in the summer when I already have plenty of stuff I need done for Boy Scouts and hours for Driver's Training so I rarely have any time for myself (apart from the forum).

I find it funny that you mentioned getting hours for driving, because when I first read your post, I was actually on my way to driving school lol. But as you said, I have other things going on that I don't really have time for reading.

For my Japanese summer assignment, I have to,
  • Read a book
  • Memorize the small glossary in the book
  • Practice and learn to draw a freehand map of Japan
  • Create a powerpoint with Chapter summaries, and products and practices found in Japan.
I have yet to start. e.e

For my Japanese summer assignment, I have to,
  • Read a book
  • Memorize the small glossary in the book
  • Practice and learn to draw a freehand map of Japan
  • Create a powerpoint with Chapter summaries, and products and practices found in Japan.
I have yet to start. e.e
You take Japanese :eek:

You take Japanese :eek:
- deletes your comment because it is off-topic - :p

But yes, I do. I'm in my fourth year. I'm taking Honors which is why I have to do the assignment. e.e

- deletes your comment because it is off-topic - :p

But yes, I do. I'm in my fourth year. I'm taking Honors which is why I have to do the assignment. e.e
Sorry, just didn't know people who take Japanese or know it >.>
I took Honors Spanish and I had to do a similar assignment, except for the map part...

Sorry, just didn't know people who take Japanese or know it >.>
I took Honors Spanish and I had to do a similar assignment, except for the map part...
it was a joke ;-;

Oh, nice ^-^ The map is gonna be difficult because I have a bad memory. xD

it was a joke ;-;

Use a reference map >.> I'm not the best map drawer either :p

Oh yeah summer procrastination. The worst.

But it's not all too bad. If you force yourself into some sort of schedule consistently and daily, you'll finish in no time at all. Really most summer assignments can be finished within a week if you really try vigorously, so a month's time is enough.

-Reading Packets
-Math Packets (both of these are for 10 weeks)
-Volunteering at a Hospital
-Student Council Meetings

And thats it lol. I am doing this by choice by the way, it keeps my mind running during the summer :D

I did AP Psychology my senior year and had a summer assignment. I volunteered at a library summer reading program over the summer too, and it was pretty much just sitting at a desk waiting for people to come to you and sign up for the program. I did some of the work there, but most of it was put off until the last minute. The assignment itself was do flash cards for the first two chapters and then outlines of the first two chapters. It was pretty easy, just slightly boring and I didn't really want to do it because summer.

I took summer classes my second semester at community college too. I only did astronomy and zumba, so it was fairly easy. Both were fun, so it wasn't awfully boring, and we got out of astronomy early most days because our lecture and lab were back to back with a short break in between, but sometimes we'd start lab earlier if it meant we could get out earlier or it was a really short lab. Zumba was just fun in general. xD Probably the only exercise thing I've really enjoyed in recent years.

I was supposed to be in Academic Decathlon my Sophomore year, but all I did was read the book, despite having a filled 3" hinder of material. School year rolled around and football prevented me from doing Academic Decathlon, so I kinda lucked out :hilarious:

it was a joke ;-;

How long have you been studying Japanese?

3 years. ^-^
You must teach me sensei... No seriously, please teach me. I'll PM you or PM me.

We had to read world without us do a packet and then read Cachter in the Rye And write a paper on it

Y'know, I once had to read a (roughly) 800 page novel, then had to write a 4 page summary about the novel, only to find out that the teacher sent an email saying that the assignment was no longer due? I felt like I wasted a week's worth of my life working on that summer assignment. If only I had've known sooner. :/

Back