super mario 3d world (switch), nintendo please nerf/ revert toad...

• Thread starter Kadaj
  • Start date
Kadaj

Kadaj

The Masochistic Hardcore Player XP
Towns Folk
i dont say to nerf things in games very often in a serious way, but this is another thing that kinda takes the cake in the switch version of super mario 3d world. the base game is very similar to the original wii u version but had some very good if even small adjustments besides adding the new mode bowsers fury. one of these adjustments was increasing the run speed for all characters. while this was great news for a slower one like peach (i do all of my speedruns with peach in this game now), it turned into a big problem for toad.

toad was already fast on the wii u, and because of this all-character buff he now easily accelerates uncontrollably if you try to run when controlling him. this might sound good for those levels that have a low timer, but it ends up hurting him in a number of situations. jumps to avoid incoming obstacles can have much tighter timing (even with his reduced jump heigth), you can be a narrow or small pathway and easily roll right off by mistake (this was the biggest problem for me. i died in a number of places i would almost never die at when controlling peach). because of the difficulty increase in the levels, its not always possible to refrain from running in toad's case; levels like fuzzy time mine for instance, you have to hold down the button or you could easily get sandwich killed for not grabbing the star fast enough, or some minigames with those 10 second timers may also require the player to run even when using toad to avoid tight clockouts.

overall, unless youre better at the premature jumping with him than i am, i think toad might be a bit of a liability in a speedrun on the switch unfortunately. i end up running into more obstacles, enemies and falling off some ledges with him than i do with other characters so i dont use him unless an item in certain levels actually need you to play as him (in co op a partner can but ive been running solo).

He might also be absolutely terrible if co op trolling is still an online hazard like in mario maker 2 ... urf =(

Reactions: phofufury
Toad seems more like Turbo lol. It does sound helpful that he may be the fastest character, but given the fact that he is speed without control, then that is a liability. I wonder why they would not take into account that Toad was already fast in Wii U, and decided to make him ultra fast on the Switch?

Hey, if you ever get a great speedrun with him before him being nerfed, Bragging Rights!

Reactions: Kadaj and Duffy
Exactly! Gotta love uncontrollable speed! that's what's fun haha. I don't have the switch version yet but I'm excited to see just how fast it can go.

Toad seems more like Turbo lol. It does sound helpful that he may be the fastest character, but given the fact that he is speed without control, then that is a liability. I wonder why they would not take into account that Toad was already fast in Wii U, and decided to make him ultra fast on the Switch?

Hey, if you ever get a great speedrun with him before him being nerfed, Bragging Rights!
yeah, im probably speedrunning peach instead lol. even with his lower jump heigth its just too easy to accidentally overshoot where you need to land (never use the leaf with him!), i went through an autoscroll to review the "speed hazard" showcasing it to a close friend last night, and i literally died at the stamp towards the end because he went so far when i jumped that i couldnt even tell where he went (i had to carry and throw a bomb as well). it might help you avoid lagging behind in auto scrolls but i think mario is a safer choice for this tbh, luigi skids when you come to even a mild stop so i also dont use him much, but id easily pick him over toad tbh since other than this hes fairly fast in a controllable way

Reactions: phofufury
Back