Sword Art Online or Log Horizon?

• Thread starter Memento Mori
  • Start date
Memento Mori

Memento Mori

Reapers' Game's Producer.
Towns Folk
So which one do you prefer?
Both are about players being trapped in a game and forced to live there, but they both also handle the issue differently.

I'm more interested in socio-politics theme that is emphasized more in Log Horizon. Well, maybe because I take social science course, especially psychology. Log Horizon puts more aspects beside battle (yes, that's the core of online games) it takes my interest. On the other hand, SAO deals with love theme a lot (we haven't seen this in Log Horizon/only least hint). It's nice, dramatic, I like it. But I prefer a mature love theme to what SAO serves.

Both of them are awesome anime to watch, but I'll choose Log Horizon instead ;)

Reactions: Reece
I have yet to see Log Horizon but I'll answer this thread once I have seen it but Sword art online is a really good anime Ill edit this post once I get into it.

Edit : ^ (above post) SAO is better.

Edit : ^ (above post) SAO is better.
Why so? Care to explain your reason? :)

Idk.

I've seen both, and Log Horizon is definitely better so far.

SAO gets extremely bland by the time the seventh episode comes up. It's like the whole first arc is nothing but filler, aside from the first episode itself. I don't even know why I watched the whole show.

Log Horizon, however, seems like it'll be a bit more like Shingeki no Kyojin coming soon. However, I've never read its novel.

My one objection with Log Horizon is that people can't die. It takes a lot of the tension out of the anime. Log Horizon, however, makes this OK, given its premise that they're stuck potentially forever.

Reactions: Reece
Let me change what I said in my earlier post , Log Horizon is better xD

Haven't watched Log Horizon yet, but I'd say Log Horizon. Anything is better than Sword Art Online (just kidding, but it was kind of bad).

SAO felt like a very generic fantasy series with only the occasional life bar and some GUI sprinkled in reminding you that it takes place in an MMO. Log Horizon actually goes in dept into the actual mechanics of the game and focuses on world building and with its slower pace allowed to focus more on actual character development, something SAO severely lacked in. The only thing SAO has over Log Horizon is in its animation, that's about it.

i haven't watched log horizon but sword art online is one of the best anime i seen and its ranked in my top ten but i have to say log horizon looks quite good and ill try watching episode one tonight

This is a bit of an old thread, but it's gotten some new posts recently, so I figured I'd give my two cents. :) I prefer SAO, not for storyline, themes, etc. I just find it more enjoyable. :) I don't know why, though...

Well, I'll list what I think are the weaknesses and strengths are of both compared to each other (IMO)
SAO:
  • Better action scenes than Log Horizon
  • Better romance scenes than Log Horizon
  • Better diversity in monsters that are encountered
  • More dangerous than Log Horizon (Due to perma-death)
Log Horizon:
  • Better character development than SAO
  • Better psychological emphasis than SAO in regards to being stuck in a VR
  • A more interesting story-line
  • In general, better characters.
It's a bit, eh, mean to compare the both, since SAO skims through two years, and Log Horizon spans 6 months. But regardless, they are both good in what they were meant for.

Regardless of this, I took a special liking to Log Horizon, and it went up to my Top 3 anime, so I can safely say Log Horizon is the better of the two, and I greatly look forward to Season 2 :p

Back