Taiko no Tatsujin: Nintendo Switch Version~ !

• Thread starter D4rkDragon
  • Start date
D4rkDragon

D4rkDragon

Lemon Dragon
Towns Folk
Here's a trailer (in Japanese, since it was shown in the last Direct there) of it:

They really did a different approach than what I expect in terms of controls. Long story short, the PS4, Wii and Wii U versions were bundled with Tatacons (Taiko Drums & Bachi Sticks that you would plug to the Wiimote or via USB for the PS4 one) to replicate the game's feel. Here, the Joycons act as "virtual" bachi sticks, which mean that drumming in the air with the Joycons will emulate playing on a real tatacon, which looks pretty fun.

So far, a "mini-game" mode has been confirmed, and current track list includes Natsu Matsuri (which has appeared in so many Taiko games by now, so it's a classic for this game), Super Mario Odyssey's Jump Up Super Star!, and Splatoon 2 Medley, and Carmen Prelude. Release date is "Summer 2018".

Thoughts about it ? I'll be pre-ordering it as soon as it's up on Amazon Japan (because I'm a Taiko fan), but what do you think of it ?

Reactions: Starry Windy
It looks interesting to use Joy-Cons to drum in the game, and I'll look forward for it, as I might get it on the eShop. I'm wondering if they would release the Tatacon for Switch tho, considering that Switch also have some USB ports in its dock.

Reactions: D4rkDragon
It looks interesting to use Joy-Cons to drum in the game, and I'll look forward for it, as I might get it on the eShop. I'm wondering if they would release the Tatacon for Switch tho, considering that Switch also have some USB ports in its dock.
Getting a USB Tatacon seems unlikely though, because it would force you to play (unless they have a long cable) near the Switch's dock. That said, considering JoyCons are using Bluetooth connection, and that Wii Tatacons were just "drums mapped to Wiimote controls", they could definitely make a Bluetooth Tatacon. And same, already have the Play-Asia page bookmarked and waiting for Amazon Japan to put up the page for it to pre-order it as soon as it's available.

I never heard about this game or series, but it's interesting it was announced in Japan's direct. It looks fun!

I never heard about this game or series, but it's interesting it was announced in Japan's direct. It looks fun!
It's normal, the series didn't got that much chance to reach the west. The only game(s) that made it out of Asia were Taiko Drum Master (on PS2, and even then, it didn't made it to Europe), and Wadaiko Master (Arcade Taiko no Tatsujin Cabinet that is only found in Brazil, and it's a heavily downgraded version of Taiko HD + Momoiro (all arcade versions are now based on colours in Asia, and this version released in late 2013 in Japan).

But yeah, if you've got some time to kill, it's pretty fun, and as soon as you put the game on Muzukashii (represented by the bonsai tree, which can be seen to the left of the Taiko during the Splatoon 2 Medley part), it becomes quite challenging, and pretty crazy on Oni (which is represented by a oni from Japanese Folklore) and Ura Oni (purple oni symbol usually, available only on a few songs, and the worst being that they usually pick difficult songs to begin with :p !)

In any case, I've expanded a bit too much about how much fun I was having with the series, but it's usually a blast. Even the mini-games (at least, those on Wii 5) were a blast to play, and felt like a 4-player WarioWare.

A bit not-so-related (or maybe ?), but the latest Arcade firmware in Japan (Taiko no Tatsujin: Blue Version) also has Splatoon 2 Medley. Which means that (thanks to Taiko Time for their coverage and the links), for those of you wanting to see what it looks like on Oni (highest difficulty, beaten only by Ura Oni which is available on a few songs), here you go:

(Splatoon 2 Medley - Oni - 441 notes)

Oh, and Oni isn't the highest this music can go. For people who really like challenges, let me present you the Ura Oni version:

(Splatoon 2 Medley - Ura Oni - 757 notes)

The Oni version looks actually doable (excluding a few Don -> Kat clusters), but the Ura version is a bit scarier, because of that speed change during the 2nd part, and the fact they really wanted Don -> Kat / Kat -> Don clusters and drumming clusters (see those groups of notes that are overlapping ? Yes, that's what I'm referring to).

In any case, while the former notechart was shown and confirmed, the latest Arcade update confirms that there will be an harder version of the song in-game, that will likely be obtained by clearing the song on Oni (this was how Ura songs were unlocked on console Taiko games).

Back