[Tech Support] Laptop Boot Up Problem

• Thread starter Artisan
  • Start date
Artisan

Artisan

Hard At Work
Forum Moderator
So the problem I have with this laptop is interesting. When I turn on the laptop it says it has some trouble booting up and if you press enter it will shut off. It appears to be common with Windows 8.1.
The solution is you have to get into the BIOS and change the boot up setting however I'm positive I have forgot the Administrator password.
So I've tried some other keyboard shortcuts and they may be helpful. There's an option to boot up using a file but none of the files I tried on the computer seem to work. Another one is the command prompt.

My questions are:
Is there a way you can insert a USB or SD Card to help it boot up again so I can find the Administrator password on the computer and change the BIOS setting?
Does the command prompt help at all in this situation?
Is there other options that could work I am overlooking w/o compromising the files already on the laptop?

Some laptops have a battery on the motherboard which is for storing the BIOS password, and settings. Removing the tiny watch battery on the laptop's motherboard may delete the password.

I think the BIOS/CMOS does not support USB, and SD card access like an operating system like Windows or Linux where you can access a USB, SD card, or CD/Disc drive.

Back