Technique help/ EV train

• Thread starter FireEmblem Smash Player
  • Start date
FireEmblem Smash Player

FireEmblem Smash Player

I'm Not A Pikachu
Towns Folk
I really like playing pokemon and I want to take my playing to the next level, but I am really bad with the strategy. I see these people winning the nationals tournament with these insane strategies, and I can't even beat someone online. I really need help in this area. I know about IV's, but don't know much about Ev's. I don't really know how to Ev train but I really want to. I look at smogon, but it's confusing and I don't understand half the stuff. Do you have any recommendations for places I can just learn about competitive play. Also does anyone have an extra 6 iv ditto, I really want to start breeding, and that's what I heard is the best for it.

As far as EVs are concerned, they're probably the most important thing you can do for your Pokemon. You have to think about what each Pokemon in your team should do, and give it those EVs accordingly.

As far as the training itself, I reccomend Horde Training, it's much faster.

Here's a guide for horde training :p

And lastly, teambuilding (the strategies).
Teambuilding is an art of its own. Some things to consider when teambuilding are:
  • What format are you playing (OU, UU, Doubles, VGC, etc.)
  • What kind of team do you have planned (Weather oriented, Trick Room/Magic Room, etc.)
  • Who are the "stars" of the team (The pokemon you would want to build your team around)
  • What threats exist to your team in the format you play? (Usually done after some testing, then find a counter to that threat)
I think that's the basics. I'm gonna tag @Zukrad and @mourning_sun to verify that I've covered most of the info, and maybe they can give you their two cents about it as well ^-^

I really like playing pokemon and I want to take my playing to the next level, but I am really bad with the strategy. I see these people winning the nationals tournament with these insane strategies, and I can't even beat someone online. I really need help in this area. I know about IV's, but don't know much about Ev's. I don't really know how to Ev train but I really want to. I look at smogon, but it's confusing and I don't understand half the stuff. Do you have any recommendations for places I can just learn about competitive play. Also does anyone have an extra 6 iv ditto, I really want to start breeding, and that's what I heard is the best for it.

Well, @N covered pretty much everything

You also should pay attention what playstyle you want to play (Offense, Hyper Offense, Bulky Offense, Balance, Stall, Semi Stall, VoltTurn, or Weather) I'm planning on do a guide of choosing a playstyle in the future

About the 6IVs Ditto, is going to be hard to find one here, since to get one you either need to RNG it (only in 5thgen or before, and you can't sell or buy non 6th gen perfect mons, since they can be likely hacked), or hacking (you can buy or sell them here either).

You could get one in a Facebook Group, they always have people that can get you one, or, if you have a 5th or 4th gen Pokémon, you could RNG one by yourself (like I did)

You could get one in a Facebook Group, they always have people that can get you one, or, if you have a 5th or 4th gen Pokémon, you could RNG one by yourself (like I did)
I believe joining the Competitive Pokemon subreddit also gets you a 6IV Ditto. That's what I heard anyways

Reactions: Zukrad
This is an IV calculator, http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcxy.shtml

Don't worry about that for now though. What's important is down the right side of the page. It might seem like a lot, but if you've an interest in learning about techniques and combo's and the basics of how the game works, the list running down the right side of the calculator goes over all those things in great detail. Just click and read one by one, until you've read them all or they start to connect, and if something doesn't make sense, just ask about it; most of it's simplistic, and only gets easier. Try everything out as you read, too, it goes a long way towards your learning, so just jump into the fieh, yo.

As for ev's here's an easy thread I wrote some time ago,
http://forum.3dspedia.com/threads/evs-made-simple.27532/#post-353365

Back