Tetris 99 review

• Thread starter Deepak
  • Start date
Deepak

Deepak

Professional procrastinator
Towns Folk
Tetris 99

I'm surprised there isn't a review for tetris 99 her yet, so here's my review. Honestly, this is literally my first tetris game. I never got interested in tetris. It looked pretty boring for me. But after tetris 99, I can say that tetris is a really fun game (with a song that gets stuck in your head for a long time).

Screenshot 2020-10-02 at 12.53.05 PM.png

Basic how to play
The game doesn't come with a tutorial. So here's a pretty simple one. Basically it's just like normal tetris, except you play with 98 other people. It fall under the battle royale genre as you want to be the last one "alive". You have to clear lines which will become "trash" sent to other players. You will receive trash from other players too. So you have get rid of your trash while sending trash to others as fast as possible. You lose if your screen fills up all the way up to the top.

Gameplay
During the game, you can "hold" pieces so that you can use them later. And you can also target specific people to send trash to with your left stick. But it's easier to use your right stick and send trash to your attackers, the people with the most badges, people that are about to get knocked out, or to random people. What are badges you ask? Every time you kill someone, you get a badge. The more badges you get, the more trash you send out to other players. It resets each round.

Screenshot 2020-10-02 at 12.53.35 PM.png

Other features
There are many challenges in the game that you can do over time to earn icons to display publicly on your profile. There are also daily challenges you can do to earn tickets. The tickets can then be exchanged for "themes". There are many themes and they range from "spooky" to "splatoon". Yes, there are nintendo game themes too. They come with their own makeover with a different music track that plays when you play. Some of these nintendo themes are available in the theme shop but some are special events that are available for a limited time. They sometimes return in later events (like the one pictured above), but it's not guaranteed. So it can give motivation for some people to pick up the game again.

Final verdict
This game is absolutely a blast. It's a game to be played in short bursts. This game requires a nintendo switch online membership but it is completely free otherwise. There is dlc, but it's not necessary to enjoy the game. The dlc is for playing offline so if you're into that, go right ahead. If you have a switch online membership, definitely give this game a go!

Back