The 3DS is officially dead. How do you feel?

• Thread starter Sunny_Meows
  • Start date
Sunny_Meows

Sunny_Meows

I like to what I want to do
Towns Folk
About an hour ago, Nintendo updated their Japanese website notifying players that the 3DS has stopped. This includes all 3DS models (3DS, New 3DS, New 3DS XL, 2DS, New 2DS XL.

A few words, if I may:

When I was a teenager, the 3DS was my life. Super Mario 3D Land, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, Kirby: Planet Robobot, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, etc.

I've had a ton of fun playing with this system, and made lots of fun memories. The 3DS was my favorite console for a loooong time, but I think it's been ready to go for a few years already. The best thing about this console, is the games. Nintendo has been pumping out high-quality memorable titles from the start of its life, all the way to the very end even though it would make more sense to release certain games on switch :eyes2:.

Seeing the 3DS go is sad, but it feels right; it's also good seeing Nintendo focus on the Switch more. Maybe 3DS titles will finally get ported to Switch?

Reactions: Agentperson and Deepak
It had a great run. I never got to pick one up because I was waiting for a good sale on one that never came. Maybe in the future I can pick one up second-hand and try out some of the games I missed, like the Phoenix Wright games (since those never got ported to the Switch).

Reactions: Deepak and Sunny_Meows
It was a good console that has run its course. I had one when I was in high school before I traded it in to get a PS4. (I plan to buy a new one someday.)

I'm sad to see it gone, but it's good that it's finally dead, and now they can really focus on the Switch, without people wondering about the 3DS. I'm happy to have it put to rest, and it's time to say a few words

You were a part of my childhood, something that stuck by me for a while. When you got bigger and stronger, I just started to love you even more. Now you are forever in my heart, and on my SD card dedicated to the DCIM pictures that I took with you. *start playing I will always love you (Whitney Houston version)*

Reactions: Sunny_Meows
It was a good console that has run its course. I had one when I was in high school before I traded it in to get a PS4. (I plan to buy a new one someday.)
A new "3DS", a new "New 3DS", or a new "PS4"? :panda:

Or a VR Headset

normies

It was a 3DS XL and yes, it was used to buy a new PS4. And I’m probably just gonna buy another 3DS XL.

Reactions: Jisenku and Sunny_Meows
Reactions: Sunny_Meows
It was a 3DS XL and yes, it was used to buy a new PS4. And I’m probably just gonna buy another 3DS XL.
I just have a vanilla 3DS, then I asked to get upgraded to a New 3DS XL. But I play Switch games more frequently now. Trying to improve my ICs :panda:

I had a lot of memories with it. I'll make a full blog post about it soon, but I'll leave it at that for now.

Pretty sad, I would like to be able to buy a couple of new 3ds models for when my systems fail. ( am wary of buying secondhand, as they are not much of a saving, and could have undiagnosed issues. I have 2 accounts each with different games on, for pokemon trading, mostly. I got my first, an aqua blue in september 2011 (and have been carrying at least one around since to get streetpasses) then a 3ds xl in 2014. Both upgraded to the new models in 2015 and 2016. The kids both have a 2ds wedge.
I guess we all knew the end of production would be a thing, as all things must end eventually. I like the switch, but not as a replacement...

I like the switch, but not as a replacement...
I will counter that argument by saying while it's not a 100% replacement, the Switch/Switch Lite should be considered something that you should give a little hope towards, instead of thinking of the Switch as something that could never really replace the 3DS. I say that the 3DS has a spot in history, but the Switch has now replaced it. It's more capable, it has way more 3rd Party Games, and the support on it is just incredible. I will say that it can't do everything the 3DS can, but the 3DS can barely do what the Switch can.

I played my 3DS so much my circle pad is a stub and even then I tried using it some more (and got better at Smash). Man I played most of the 1st party titles on that thing and regardless the genre I was so interested in the graphics and what it can do. Kid Icarus had it's whole series on that console and I really liked it. Pokemon. Don't get me started. I learned from Marc how to overcome all my teams weaknesses (at least I made a better team). Pedia took advantage of the player-base at the time and had GYMS. Man that was fun. Mario Kart 7 was the game I used to do perfect turns on in every track. Zelda OoT I beat, as well as Master Quest. Club Nintendo actually gave away VC games. I could go on and I hope the Switch gets the big titles like another Pokemon gen and Kid Icarus (the 3D stuff, not that 2D VC looking chonk).

Tl;Dr My childhood was rad.

Reactions: Jisenku
It was expected, 9 years is a long time for console production. it's kind of saddening me because I grew up with a DS and a 3DS, and some of their games are still my favourite, even having some fond memories of ones that I haven't played for years... I guess I've had a lot of fun with it (and the DS), and that's the important part.

Please give us GBA Virtual Console for 3DS Nintendo :lapras:

I'm a bit sad about it. I honestly feel its better than the switch cause its more portable and it has free online so you can play online without worrying about a membership. It sucks that its discontinued. Hopefully they still except repairs cause my L button to my new 3ds is still broken rip. I'm kinda surprised that the 3ds lasted for so long. Though it was a great handheld after all so it isn't that surprising.

Hopefully they still except repairs cause my L button to my new 3ds is still broken rip.
Nintendo said:
Repair service is available for newer Nintendo 3DS Family products, including the New Nintendo 3DS XL and Nintendo 2DS. Nintendo no longer offers factory repairs for the original Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo 3DS XL systems.

Back