• Thread starter Adam3044
  • Start date

Do you like homebrews?

• Total voters
A

Adam3044

I'm Not A Pikachu
Towns Folk
What do you guys think the best homebrew exploit for 2DS/3DS is? I personally don't have a favorite, but I guess TubeHax is pretty cool, but the only downside is the DNS thing and it probably slows Internet down on your system. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you guys think the best CFW for 2DS/3DS is? I personally don't have a favorite, but I guess TubeHax is pretty cool, but the only downside is the DNS thing and it probably slows Internet down on your system. :(
:facepalm: It's not a custom firmware, it's an homebrew exploit.
Custom Firmwares are illegal 75% of the time, while homebrews aren't (unless if they allow piracy or other copyrightable stuff)

Modifying thread name in a second.

Ninjhax 1 definitely. Still wish I had a 9.2 3DS :oops:

Custom Firmwares are illegal 75% of the time, while homebrews aren't (unless if they allow piracy or other copyrightable stuff)
I don't really think even pirating CFWs are illegal themselves, it's only using their pirating features that is illegal. It's like guns in America, the law allows you to own one but not to do what you want.
(I'm not defending piracy, just trying to see the limit between legal and illegal).

Reactions: D4rkDragon
I'm a total noob at homebrews. So tell me all about them! I never used them because I got all sorts of warnings that they might damage your 3DS. I don't really believe them, but better be safe than sorry right?

I'm a total noob at homebrews. So tell me all about them! I never used them because I got all sorts of warnings that they might damage your 3DS. I don't really believe them, but better be safe than sorry right?

For now, it's only ARM11 userland code, so, totally safe stuff.

For now, it's only ARM11 userland code, so, totally safe stuff.
ARM11 userland? ...Enlighten me, still clueless. :p

ARM11 userland? ...Enlighten me, still clueless. :p
Short phrase: Basically, it means nothing bad can happen to your console. Contrary of Kernel Mode Homebrews
Long phrase: It means that your application will run on top of the hack, with no kernel access. The best it could do is access saves (but even that is still ambiguous yet), or start applets (Spider/SKATER, Keyboard applet, Miiverse...). Nothing that could harm your system normally.

Reactions: Tho
Short phrase: Basically, it means nothing bad can happen to your console. Contrary of Kernel Mode Homebrews
Long phrase: It means that your application will run on top of the hack, with no kernel access. The best it could do is access saves (but even that is still ambiguous yet), or start applets (Spider/SKATER, Keyboard applet, Miiverse...). Nothing that could harm your system normally.
Ah. Well that's good to know. Thanks!

I don't really think even pirating CFWs are illegal themselves, it's only using their pirating features that is illegal. It's like guns in America, the law allows you to own one but not to do what you want.
(I'm not defending piracy, just trying to see the limit between legal and illegal).

@Hayleia, you are correct. Let's give the actual definition of pirating. Pirating is the act of downloading a file or item of monetary value without paying (meaning CFW is 100% legal to download since OFW is free, while games aren't), BUT it's perfectly legal to download a game or any items that normally would violate the above, ONLY on the condition that you own a physical copy of it (eg: I own Pokemon Y reatail version, I can legally download the ROM version of it). Also, uploading a file like a movie for others to download is NOT pirating as long as you own a physical copy of it, but IS a violation of copyrights. Pirating IS NOT the violation of copyrites, but the illegal devaluation (basically making something free) and distribution of a "product" by a third party.

I really liked your explanation, but shouldn't you explain the rough idea of Kernel too?

@Hayleia, you are correct. Let's give the actual definition of pirating. Pirating is the act of downloading a file or item of monetary value without paying (meaning CFW is 100% legal to download since OFW is free, while games aren't), BUT it's perfectly legal to download a game or any items that normally would violate the above, ONLY on the condition that you own a physical copy of it (eg: I own Pokemon Y reatail version, I can legally download the ROM version of it). Also, uploading a file like a movie for others to download is NOT pirating as long as you own a physical copy of it, but IS a violation of copyrights. Pirating IS NOT the violation of copyrites, but the illegal devaluation (basically making something free) and distribution of a "product" by a third party.

I really liked your explanation, but shouldn't you explain the rough idea of Kernel too?

Well, Kernel = System Core. It's just that I have the habit of thinking that people know that when I'm at school, so, I don't try to explain what it means. But yes, that's all you have to know. The kernel is the core of the operating system. It provides access to system/critical and some thread-specific calls (functions) and properties.

Homebrew is nice and all but its a pain in the butt to actually get it on a system, and its usually patched by a system update. It can even ruin a system and brick it such as the wii's unlimited wii games, it bricks your system. I tried the 3ds one and its ok, but once a software update comes, its going to make it unaccessible anyways. What I liked about the 3ds homebrew was it's region block

Short answer: Kernel is the system core. If you have kernel control of your 3DS, you have full control over it.

The best it could do is access saves (but even that is still ambiguous yet), or start applets (Spider/SKATER, Keyboard applet, Miiverse...). Nothing that could harm your system normally.
Spider/SKATER enables ARM11 kernel I believe, no?

More detailed information about kernel:
Kernel is what lets you do the what-seems-like-impossible on your 3DS. Kernel can also be harmful if you use it wrong. There are two versions of kernel: ARM11 kernel and ARM9 kernel. ARM11 kernel isn't complete control, but almost full control. Lets you install signed CIA's and downgrade (there are more functions). ARM9 however is where you get complete control of your system. (By the way, ARM11 is basically normal things on your system; runs Home Menu, games, etc. ARM9 is basically a whole entire core made for security.) ARM9 kernel lets you bypass signature checks, and really any kind of check, lets you bypass any security measure of the 3DS. ARM11 code is written in C++/C and ARM9 is written in Assembly.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong with any of this.

Homebrew is nice and all but its a pain in the butt to actually get it on a system, and its usually patched by a system update. It can even ruin a system and brick it such as the wii's unlimited wii games, it bricks your system. I tried the 3ds one and its ok, but once a software update comes, its going to make it unaccessible anyways. What I liked about the 3ds homebrew was it's region block
You mean region free right? :p Also 3DS system updates won't actually block this until Nintendo fixes gspwn, but that's trivial for Nintendo right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spider/SKATER enables ARM11 kernel I believe, no?

More detailed information about kernel:
Kernel is what lets you do the what-seems-like-impossible on your 3DS. Kernel can also be harmful if you use it wrong. There are two versions of kernel: ARM11 kernel and ARM9 kernel. ARM11 kernel isn't complete control, but almost full control. Lets you install signed CIA's and downgrade (there are more functions). ARM9 however is where you get complete control of your system. (By the way, ARM11 is basically normal things on your system; runs Home Menu, games, etc. ARM9 is basically a whole entire core made for security.) ARM9 kernel lets you bypass signature checks, and really any kind of check, lets you bypass any security measure of the 3DS. ARM11 code is written in C++/C and ARM9 is written in Assembly.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong with any of this.

You mean region free right? :p Also 3DS system updates won't actually block this until Nintendo fixes gspwn, but that's trivial for Nintendo right now.
You know, with SSBhax and OoThax out by now (SSBHax is N3DS-only, but we still have YT for O3DS), Nintendo will rather have to fix all of their games. And as far as I recall, Spider/SKATER didn't enable kernel access. Yes, a flashcart retailer (I guess you know the name already) used it with a special payload to indeed gain full kernel access, but they used a second ROP chain in order to do so (= using multiple flaws on the system). The worst Spider/SKATER can do, along with gspwn, is RAM/GPU access.

Reactions: Megalegacy98
Back