The curious use of spoiler tags

• Thread starter TAG
  • Start date
TAG

TAG

Indie supporter
Towns Folk
I've wondered about this for a while. Surprisingly it is any one member, but several members ... I've seen spoiler tags used liberally for posts that honestly have absolutely no business having them. :confused:

Is it just a confusion on what spoiler tags are actually meant for? It isn't a big deal overall (more of a pet peeve I guess) but I'd like to see them used correctly and not slapped on posts like emoticons.

I guess it could be because some people are oversensitive about spoilers, even if the thing in question isn't really important.

I guess it could be because some people are oversensitive about spoilers, even if the thing in question isn't really important.

I can understand that, but there is a limit. Some must be either confused what a spoiler(s) is or paranoid to unhealthy levels, ha ha! :rotfl:

Nintendo is releasing a new Mario Kart game for Wii U!

I think they do it as a kind of joke.

One of the best uses of spoiler tags, though, is not to hide spoilers but to make pop-in pop-out parts of a post that'd be too long otherwise. Like lists and long descriptions and such.

I suppose the odd use of spoiler tags is slightly less annoying than a multitude of these ...

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

There used to be a member who slapped these every other word! I think they got banned, though probably not from emoticon use.

Reactions: 18
I think they can be used to hide massive images too, or a lot of images in one post. :)

I've also seen people use them the most for that reason as well, hiding a massive image or multiple images or using it as a way to organize large posts so it isn't just a giant wall of text.

I've also seen people use them the most for that reason as well, hiding a massive image or multiple images or using it as a way to organize large posts so it isn't just a giant wall of text.

This. I'm actually the one who suggested the spoiler code to Marc and it was for when I made extremely long posts. It's nice to hide it.

Warning-Major-Spoiler_o_60325.jpg

Personally, I use spoilers for what nearly everyone else had said so far; Hiding large images or blocks of text. Honestly, with huge images, it's just courtsey, since not everyone has fast connections, or because it gets so big it stretches across the screen. On another forum I'm on, lots of people post huge images on a near daily basis, and I think I'm one of the only ones who have the courtesy to spoiler page-stretching large images.

Honestly, it's more annoying when people don't spoiler stuff like that than people who are courteous enough to prevent page stretching or lag.

And, of course, when it comes to spoilers about, well, actual spoilers, some people are either oversensitive about them, or just are unsure if other people would consider it a spoiler. Again, it's a courtesy thing.

spoiler can hide some secret info

spoiler can hide some secret info

That's true, but did you read the thread? I was discussing the tags use when no secret info is present.

i think that they are for stuff that is a little different than the main topic and also it is for people who dont like spoiled plot stuff :p

Back