The ESRB: do you agree?

• Thread starter Gecko
  • Start date
Gecko

Gecko

Son of Anarchy
Towns Folk
Do you agree with the ESRB's rating system or do you not?

Ratings:

E = Everyone

E10 = Everyone 10+

T = Teen

M = Mature

AO= Adults Only

(I'm not sure if the ESRB took the "AO" rating off the board though)

Do YOU agree with the current video game rating system?

It's good for parents buying games for their kids, I guess, they can make sure the game doesn't have objectionable stuff in it. I like how they list the reasons why the game was given its rating, like, 'Strong Language/Drug References/etc,' so people who want to avoid that kind of stuff can do so.

I think that the Japanese CERO system is better though. :oops:

Same as @Spinnerweb, I prefer the CERO, this one is more precise, has more logos to sight what could shock the user in a game.

But in Europe, we don't have ESRB, we have PEGI. It's almost the same, except that the number is directly on the box of the game. So no T/E/AO/M or whatever it might be, we have 3+/7+/12+/16+ and 18+.
However, I have heard that it's different in some countries, where they have 4+ instead.

Yup I forgot to add on a rating tho. "EC" For "Early Childhood"

The system is fine as a rule.

Occasionally I'll come across a game and be surprised by the rating - the last Phoenix Wright getting an M is an example.

The E10+ was a great addition.

I think rating the game is good because you can't mix kids thing with mature content and I recommend it it's a parental control

It's fine.

What is NOT fine is when they use a rating that doesn't make sense for a game.
Like take the Smash series for example. Sure, it includes violence, but so does Star Fox, Kirby, etc. and they have all been either Rated E or E10+.
Sometimes I feel like a rating for a game should change.

i think that it is good. but sometimes i would rate a game different than they did. some t games dont need to be and some should be m but mostly i think that it is a good one.

On one side of the issue, the rating system really helps when you are a parent looking for certain content that is not suitable for your child. Seems fair enough. However, the exaggeration when rating can actually be a bad thing. Like when you set a game to M you instantly think guns and words and blood and gore, but many games I have played that are rated M are not as explicit as the rating suggests. By the way, if the rating is going to be ignored altogether by parents who buy games (*AHEM* GTA V *AHEM*), then why have the rating anyways?

i know what you mean i have a friend who is 12 years old and he has played m rated games :eek: but his parents dont realy care what he plays. i dont think that this is right but it is what some people do.

It is just OK. You can follow the rating and choose the game that accord to your age, or you can also pick the game you like... even if you don't reach the age. The rating is just for reference, for parents, and also for children.

It would be good, except that parents pay NO attention to them. I've seen parents buy GTA V for a 5-year old. :/

They're most of the times right, but Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask used to be rated E for everyone?
Nintendo, this is not for everyone! And I can come up with many arguments explaining why Majora's Mask isn't for everyone!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 3
Halo is rated M because sure it has blood and some swear words but it should be rated T. And why is super smash bros rated T? That's what I want to know!

I like it because it gives me a heads up of what to expect from a game in terms of sensitive content. I'm pretty sure the ESRB doesn't play 100% of the content (in a game like Skyrim where that could take hundreds of hours) but their ratings are accurate nonetheless. It also gives parents a good idea of who a game is for. I really think parents should take the time to look into a game's content if they aren't sure of buying it for their kids. These systems help moderate games a bit and prevent a bunch of angry parents getting mad at developers for content they think is inappropriate.

I have some complaints like say a minor one was LoZ OoT but a major one was that SSBM and SSBB should've been rated E or E 10+ instead of T because there was nothing that I could think of that would make it rated T. I think for the most part they are right otherwise.

For all the ones that mentioned about SSB being rated T....

Back when the first SSB (or Melee, but I'm not for sure) came out, the E10+ rating didn't even exist!! It was either E or T, and Nintendo had to go with the closest to it possible. Because it was a fighting game, they chose T.

The reason Brawl is rated T is because I guess Nintendo didn't choose to change the rating just yet, but the 3DS one is apparently E10+

So, yea....(LoZ:OoT and LoZ:MM probably have a similar reasoning, assuming they came out around that timespan as well)

I think the rating system is okay. Some people ignore it, but there are some other people who pay attention to it. When it comes to my mom and I, we briefly look at the ratings, but most things T or under she'll let me have.

Back