The NX might use an AMD CPU, and it's likely to be a x86 one.

• Thread starter D4rkDragon
  • Start date
D4rkDragon

D4rkDragon

Lemon Dragon
Towns Folk
Apparently, according to VentureBeat.com (< click for source), Nintendo's next console, the NX, might finally give up on the old, dusty, terrible PowerPC architecture and finally get a x86 processor.

According to the source, it might be an AMD CPU, because, not only AMD classifies their CPUs as "semi-customs", but Devinder Kumar (AMD Chief Financial Officer) also said this:
Devinder Kumar (Source: VentureBeat.com) said:
“I will say that one is x86 and the other is ARM, and at least one will be beyond gaming, right. … They [the customers] are going to announce it and then … you will find out that it is AMD’s APU that is being used in those products.”

And apparently, Lisa Su (AMD Chief Executive) also said that on the 7/16, they received another semi-custom chip design, and said that those were meant to "generate a billion dollars in sales".

Considering that AMD already supplied Nintendo with their GPUs (Graphics Processing Unit) during the Gamecube era (remember the small "ATI" logo on the Gamecube), the Wii (again, ATI logo on the console), and the WiiU, it might seem even more likely. But, we can suppose that instead of a CPU, we'll get an APU* (Accelerated Processing Unit), which is AMD's speciality.

*APUs are chips that embark both a processor and a GPU at the same time, which might reduce the cost of the console.

In that case, that would then mean that the NX would finally have a modern architecture, just like the PS4 and the Xbox One. Not to mention that, considering it might be a x86 APU, porting games from the PS4 and the One would be waaaaaaaaaaay more easier.

Also, if you worry about the PowerPC, well, IBM now sold it to Globalfoundries (don't know what it is).

What are your reactions about it ? Of course, it's only speculation again, but if that's true, then, that would mean that Nintendo's getting serious about the NX's future.

I just hope they improve only in area that are needed and dont just forget about there usual games (like ssb, mk or any loz or mario) but still release fresh new stuff like splatoon, i wouldnt mind a modern console with a traditional twist

Back