The Part Time Job (and other annoyances in-game)

• Thread starter Rin
  • Start date
R

Rin

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
So in all of the games except New Leaf, you were assigned a "part time job" at the beginning of the game (if I remember correctly, the jobs are in this order: Meet everyone, plant flowers, deliver a piece of furniture, write and send a letter, deliver carpet, deliver watering can, and write a message on the billboard). What are your thoughts on it? Did you like it, or did it annoy the heck out of you?

I sort of have mixed feelings on it. It's pretty annoying, but writing the letter/billboard message can be really fun (I always insult him in the letter, and say "Come To The Nook Side - We Have Cookies >:3" on the billboard). I am seriously glad that it was removed in New Leaf (I wonder if it's because of complaints.....)

Reactions: Jfire
Yeah I felt the same about it. Those part time jobs annoyed the hell out of me. But I guess in a way it has its merits in helping you the first time playing because it tells you how important it is to actually talk to the other villagers. The less time working for that crazy fox though the better.

Eh, 99% of the time I could care less about my villagers. If you take advantage of every other feature then it's not as important as it's made out to be. At least in New Leaf. It's probably more important in other games but I only recently got back to City Folk and haven't played the older games in ages so idk.

i know in previous versions of ac i hated the jobs . mostly cause they talk to much. i don't really like helping neighbors either. doing chores for them bites. especially when they have you go to all the neighbors looking for a game-boy or something and they give me a shirt or 50 bells. i make more than that fishing in ten seconds. i always use the police station lost and found or dump for items when nook doesnt have something i like

Yea, the chores in the original GameCube are the absolute worst. I only played the GameCube one for a short time because I got bored of it, not just because of the chores. I also HATE how you don't recieve a map in the beginning, and it makes the part time job even longer because you are more than likely to get completely lost. That was a bad move, imo.

The chores in City Folk & New Leaf (and probably Wild World but things may work different) are a lot easier but still sort of tedious, especially when they ask you to bring them a rare bug/fish (I've been asked to get a Tarantula or a specific type of Shark. Wtf game?!). The problem with the game boy sort of returns in New Leaf with a "lost item" but you can just completely ignore it if you wanted to. Same with City Folk when finding a villager's house key in the river (lol).

Wild World pretty simuliar to gamecube to me

Yea, I only noticed that after playing the GameCube version though, but they still changed enough to note a large difference.

I got the AC games in this order:

City Folk [Wii] (was our neighbor's Wii game. I borrowed it and they didn't want it back)
Wild World (I think it was a Birthday/Christmas present but idk)
GameCube (Mom and I were browsing through used GameCube games and we saw this for $5)
New Leaf (it was a gift that I knew about, meaning I went to Wal Mart to get it but didn't pay for it with my own money)

So of course I didn't notice the similarities right away.

I have not played the other games so i am not sure :p but i know that in new leaf if you talk to your villagers then they will give you a couple of things to do like: finding fruit, delivering stuff, brringing them to another villager ect. and when you start the game you have to write things on the message board and a few others so i think they have kinda kept the part time jobs just changed them up a bit. ;)

i only had the gamecube and wild world. wild world was ok i just didnt like my house being shared with others . i prefer the four houses. i never played with others but i didnt like doing the clock thing alot cause it mess up my pokemon games. so i made on the gamecube different account so when i was in the middle of a upgrade i could do something else

No, those are simply just the neighbors asking for favors. The previous games are a lot different. If you haven't played the previous games, there's probably videos on YouTube (or at least playthroughs). It's completely different.

Are you talking about the Citizen Approval or something? That's still really different (although it's a hell of a lot more tedious)

Edit: This post was at @3dsatackman . Shippo posted at the exact same time I did so I'm just clearing up possible confusion

Reactions: 3dsatackman
other thing i hated was neighbor building a house right on my favorite fishing spots or pulling trash up thinking it a big fish

Reactions: 3dsatackman
Oh yea, I really wish you could do something about neighbor's houses. >_>

I once read something online that if you have an area that you want to reserve for things/don't want your neighbors to move on just put a custom design sign or something similar in that area. If you're making a new character for your actual game you can build your house over public works projects (I found this out by accident), the animal villagers can't.

I should try that sometime after my current project (Fortune Teller Shop) is finished.

I think that is one of the things that turned me off from Animal Crossing: Wild World, (I do remember doing a few errands at first). I was so annoyed, because I didn't see the sense of it, to be honest. I actually stopped playing after I spoke to all the villagers :bag:. It was tiring. I've played City Folk, but barely remember anything I've done, I remember just running around collecting Pears, I ignored whatever I was suppose to do.

It's kind of like a tutorial, and I dislike it, I believe in New Leaf, you'll have to speak to all your villagers in your town though, before you can do anything further, but those rest of errands were taken out. I think it's for the best, I like to figure out new things at my own pace. :)

Reactions: Jfire
You only HAVE to do Isabelle's tutorial if you're the mayor and first starting the game. If you create a regular citizen character after that Isabelle's tutorial is optional. Just don't talk to her after getting your house all settled and stuff.

I hated the Part-time job! Tom Nook ALSO made you wear a terrible outfit, URGH DX

You can take the outfit off and he'll basically just say to wear what you want as long as it doesn't disrupt anybody, blah blah blah (it won't because they're computer characters. They won't know or care.)

The part time job is a time waster, I can say that for sure. I think it always takes me around 30 minutes. 30 minutes that I could be spending on other games and things.

I only had to do the Part Time Job thing once or twice and both times, it was in Wild World. My memory's fuzzy, but I remembered thinking that video games were supposed to keep our minds off of work, not have us work in the game so that we could pay off our house. Come to think of it, New Leaf wasn't so different, but at least you can earn money at your own pace.

in my opinion i sort of enjoyed the part time job. i dont know why i enjoyed being a slave for tom nook but i did. i liked messing up what tom nook told me to do. like in wild world he told me to plant the flowers outside his shop to make the shop nice but i just randomly placed them somewhere by the store and i trampled them after a couple days. it gave me such a happy feeling trampling his flowers. it may sound evil but tom nook is the devil incarnated.

Back