The Satellaview

• Thread starter Samster
  • Start date
Samster

Samster

*secretly has a crush on Marina
Towns Folk
So, I didn’t even know this was a thing until a few weeks ago. I was just browsing the news page on the Nintendo Switch, and saw that they had added a new outfit for Super Mario Odyssey, called the Satellaview Costume. It looked really strange, so I Googled what on earth a Satellaview was. Believe it or not, it was a cancelled Nintendo console. :eek:

C8E61293-03FC-4CCA-BABE-5D9CD0B23BE3.jpeg

Apparantly, this was an officially released satellite modem for the Super Famicom. It was never released in the US or Europe (which is probably why I’ve never heard of it until now), and actually had a wide variety of games specifically made for it, such as Dr. Mario, and three different Zelda games that to this day have never been released to the public. So, am I the only clueless one here, or is this news to you guys too?

That's a pretty cool piece of hardware! I totally understand why it didn't take off, though.
Looking at Wikipedia, it seems the functionality was pretty limited.
That's only of one the many weird pieces of technology to happen in Japan though :hilarious:

Yeah, the Satellaview is one of the coolest things, ever. None of its games were ever realeased in America, for obvious reasons.

I think i heard of it, is this the one where at different times different games would be broadcast?

Reactions: Leej07
I think i heard of it, is this the one where at different times different games would be broadcast?
That is it, exactly. Some of the games were even broadcast with live voice-acting and narration.

Never heard of it. It looks pretty cool though but I understand why it didnt really get released.

Back