Which Talonflame set do you prefer?

• Acrobatics and Flying Gen

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Tarro57

Tarro57

Please don't touch me
Towns Folk
It's no secret that Talonflame is an amazing Pokemon to have on a competitive team. It can have the ability Gale Wings which gives it priority to flying type moves. This means that Talonflame can hit you with a Brave Bird or 2, and use a Roost to heal that recoil back before you can even touch it. Not to mention, with its speed, it can hit you with a Flare Blitz without needing the priority. Here are two common sets you may see:

Talonflame @ Flying Gem

Acrobatics
Flare Blitz
Roost
Swords Dance

This one is good, but not as often used as:

Talonflame @ Choice Band

Brave Bird
Flare Blitz
Roost
U-Turn

But of course when there's extreme power, there's also extreme weakness. Talonflame takes x4 damage from Rock and x2 from Electric and Water. Stealth Rocks take away half its HP as well. The best counter (imo) is Tyranitar. TTar is resistant to Flying and Fire and can learn Stone Edge (singles) and Rock Slide (doubles/triples), along with Stealth Rock.

YOU CAN'T GET ANY ELEMENTAL GEM FROM GEN 6. Why even mention one you cheater? :p No, just no.

You also have the sword dancer. Switch in when your opponent is trying to stall you or wall you, set up, and sweep :

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 DEF or SP DEF (if HP is 31 IVs so that you have over half of your HP after taking SR damage)
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Sword Dance
- Roost

You can pump some HP EVs instead of Speed because flying-type moves get priority and 'mons that get hit hard by fire-type moves are normally slow. Also, getting a Sword Dance up first doesn't really make a difference (unless you're taunted).

Reactions: Vernal
For fun I once used a Choice Band TalonFlame and it was pretty good. The following are the moves I gave it but you can tweak it to your liking.
Talonflame @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 DEF/HP
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-Turn
- Steel Wings

Yeah, I know Steel Wings is a stupid move but believe me it can do wonders against unsuspecting Rock/Fairy types. I didn't know what else to give it so I thought Steel Wings will do. It was a great choice.

Reactions: Vernal
This set is rather strange, but hey, it's still a pretty decent set.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Attack / 200 HP / 56 Speed
Jolly
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Bulk Up
- Roost

YOU CAN'T GET ANY ELEMENTAL GEM FROM GEN 6. Why even mention one you cheater? :p No, just no.
lol, yeah, I forgot about that... Sorry

Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Taunt/Will O Wisp/Substitute

This is probably one of the best Talonflame sets there is, Bulk Up gives it the power to sweep, Brave Bird for the obvious BirdSpam, Roost for recovery and then Taunt to prevent phazing/hazards/status, WoW to catch physical threats like Ttar and Hippowdon on the switch and Sub to stall out Rotom W's Hydro Pumps.

i choose option 3

Talonflame (M) @ Leftovers
Ability : Gale Wings
EVs : 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Protect
Leftovers will heal after Brave Bird, and if you want, use Protect to heal, and combine with another wide protector move like Mat Block so 1/16+1/16=1/8 of its max HP, and if HP is less than 50% maybe you should use Roost :)
or

Talonflame (M) @ Shell Bell
Ability : Gale Wings
EVs : 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-Turn
- Acrobatics / Steel Wing / Flare Blitz
- Roost
U-Turn if want Hit-Heal-Change, Steel Wing if facing Tyranitar, Flare Blitz for Fire-type Mega-damage

Gale Wings+Brave Bird=-_-

Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
This set isn't exactly using Talonflame to its full potential but it is a good Pokemon on Teams that have mostly sweepers and need a bulky/stall teamed Pokemon. Use in beggining of battle to active full potential lol

I like:
Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Overheat
- U-turn
- Roost

It's a bit bulkier, because who needs speed when you have Brave Bird. Overheat because I saw Se Jun Park use it, and I just like it more than Flare Blitz. U-turn to get outa there when a threat comes in (obviously). Roost because the sustain train is-a-comin' through town. This is my preferred Talonflame build.

Back