Breath of the Wild The Vegan Challenge

• Thread starter Pandaxclone2
  • Start date
Pandaxclone2

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Towns Folk
So I was watching some footage of BotW, and in the middle of the player animal hunting I thought to myself, "wouldn't it be neat to go through the entire game with the restrictions of a Vegan?" So I did some digging and while it has been suggested, there hasn't been any ground rules so to speak. So I've decided to catalog such rules for a Vegan run.

Keep in mind that this isn't the final set of rules (or lists) as some members may point out some inconsistencies or other items that should be banned. So without further ado, the rules are as such:
  1. Animals may not be killed except where self-defense is concerned and no meat, fish or animal parts may be consumed. This also means elixirs are outright banned for consumption as they contain animals. If you do accidentally pick up some cooked meat or fish however, hope is not lost: you should be able to simply sell the food to a merchant, so long as you don't consume it. Korok seeds are still allowed however.
  2. You are also not allowed to wear certain armor or use certain weapons, shield and bows, all of which have been deemed to use animal byproducts (or in the rare case, are explicitly stated to be used for hunting), during your run. A list of these banned items will be included below. Armor enhancements that require animal parts are banned as well (including dragon parts). Arrows are exempt from this rule as it would be impossible to beat the game without them.
  3. You are at least required to free the four Divine Beasts before making your way to Hyrule Castle. This one isn't so much of a "rule" per se, but seeing as speed-running the game is doable without their help it would defeat much of the point of playing this challenge.
  4. Killing monsters is obviously still fair game, as are using their parts except for crafting dubious foods. (The Guardian series of enemies don't fall in this category.)
  5. You CANNOT exploit Cuccos or hurt them. You may still do the side quest involving them in Kakariko Village.
Here is the list of banned equipment:
Armor:
Barbarian set
Snowquill Headdress
Twilight set
Zora Helm and Greaves

Weapons:

Dragonbone Boko Bat
Dragonbone Boko Club
Dragonbone Moblin Club
Dragonbone Moblin Spear
Eightfold Blade
Eightfold Longblade
Enhanced Lizal Spear
Fishing Harpoon
Flamespear
Frostspear
Lizal Spear
Moblin Spear
Royal Guard's Spear
Royal Halberd
Spiked Boko Bat
Spiked Boko Club
Spiked Boko Spear
Spiked Moblin Club
Spiked Moblin Spear
Thunderspear
Windcleaver

Shields:

Dragonbone Boko Shield
Fishermen's Shield
Hunter's Shield
Pot Lid
Spiked Boko Shield
Traveler's Shield

Bows:

Dragon Bone Boko Bow
Lizal Bow
Spiked Boko Bow

Here's hoping some of you out there are interested enough to take on this challenge. Let me know if there's any adjustments to the list or rules that should be made.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samster
Wow. Just, wow. That sounds awesome. Now I really want to play BoTW all over again just so I can do this challenge! Great idea!

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
Back