SwSh The worst max raid battle in the game: Obstagoon

• Thread starter Kadaj
  • Start date
Kadaj

Kadaj

The Masochistic Hardcore Player XP
Towns Folk
ive done max raids a ton in sword and shield and theyre fun, hugely rewarding (especially 4* and 5* once you get a good team going for the job) and probably the best new thing about the games. most of these, more or less, are eventually manageable alone even on 5*. but theres one complete trash one ive only run into once and seen other people showcase it as well, and its horrible: Obstagoon's max raid.

forget the one shot kills on the AI's bad pokemon, and the attacks that hit everything and sometimes triple wipe them--this one is the worst by a longshot. no one shot kills on the first turn, however: he uses max strike to lower everyones speed, then he moves to using obstruct which btw is horribly broken unless youre a special attacker. Every time you physical attack him in this stat you get a 2x defense reduction and smart players can immediately follow up with close combat which would be instant death if supereffective. I tested this out myself so i know its busted big time. and if him abusing obstruct wasnt bad enough, he gets 8 bars two times in the fight (if i recall correctly but it was an ugly number)! and because high tier raid mons can make multiple moves in one turn he will immediately follow up with a max strike which would one shot the AI's pokemon if they attempted to attack during obstruct (non special category here) and theyre dumb enough to do this as most probably know. this raid is beyond terrible. i dont remember how i did it but i somehow managed to beat it and i havent seen it show up since (its probably very rare spawn).

the problem with obstagoon's raid is even online people can easily be sitting ducks and turn cap because of his broken trash pattern. unlike most raids, i dont see how to cheese this monstrosity without at least 2 zen mode darmanitans. i even think the nornally easy eternatus strat is toast here. anyone else run into this horrible sucker? and if you did how or were you able to take him down?

Try Whimsicott. Thunder Wave it, Sub/set up Tailwind when it protects. Then attack it every other turn.
Grimmsnarl would work and try Sub/Torment/Hammer Arm/Thunder Wave.
Passimian with Defiant and just hit with a barrage of attacks. Scarf with Close Combat, Sash with Counter/Reversal

Aegislash can use King's Shield and you can work off your strat from there. Iron Defence/Swords Dance/Sub and an attacking move like Iron Head/Brick Break and bring a Weakness Policy.

Try Whimsicott. Thunder Wave it, Sub/set up Tailwind when it protects. Then attack it every other turn.
Grimmsnarl would work and try Sub/Torment/Hammer Arm/Thunder Wave.
Passimian with Defiant and just hit with a barrage of attacks. Scarf with Close Combat, Sash with Counter/Reversal

Aegislash can use King's Shield and you can work off your strat from there. Iron Defence/Swords Dance/Sub and an attacking move like Iron Head/Brick Break and bring a Weakness Policy.
not a bad idea but wouldnt at least half of these options use too many turns when we can already turn cap too easily? especially if he decides to reset you that would be very bad, ive gotten screwed setting up eternatus like this before in other raids and it sucks. its very rng when it comes to them resetting your stats which is why i never use more than one turn for the whole battle to stat boost, and its worst with obstagoon because of the crazy amount of bars hr gets compared to almost all others

not a bad idea but wouldnt at least half of these options use too many turns when we can already turn cap too easily? especially if he decides to reset you that would be very bad, ive gotten screwed setting up eternatus like this before in other raids and it sucks. its very rng when it comes to them resetting your stats which is why i never use more than one turn for the whole battle to stat boost, and its worst with obstagoon because of the crazy amount of bars hr gets compared to almost all others
It's 4x weak to fighting so if an attack can KO or get health down more than one bar I'm pretty sure it would work.

Back