Support Needed Theme Killer Glitch

• Thread starter PersonSP
  • Start date
PersonSP

PersonSP

Writing- 'n-Drawing-aholic
Towns Folk
I just had half a heartattack.:eek: My 3DS XL did something really odd.
It a pretty long read so there is a short version. Read only the bold parts for the short version.

I was playing my 3DS and while I opened the music application I noticed something odd. A mere moment before the music application launched I suddenly had an internet connection. Which is weird because a 3DS doesn't automatically connect unless you logged in and everything on settings. And I absolutely did not have internet settings for the station. So I immediately suspended my Music Application. And my home-theme was gone. It was reset to the blank default. Weird. I still had an internet connection so I decided to test whether it actually worked by launching the Theme shop. It worked just fine. Then I went back to the home menu. It was still blank. I tried to switch back to my first used theme. (Mario My Nintendo theme, if anyone is interested, recently downloaded). It told me it couldn't switch themes right now. No error code or anything. I decided to try the good old Power off-power on trick. Well things got worse. When it powered back up all my software was gone-ish. Why the ish? Well all software (minus the pre-installed stuff) had turned into "newly downloaded software". You know, those little yellow presents with a red ribbon. Opening those revealed all my old software. I tested them, and they all worked and my safe data was there. Weird enough everything had been moved out of their folders. The folders themselves where still there though. I tried some software and noticed another odd thing. I did not have a notification or a green bubble, but Super Mario 3D Land did have streetpasses. Those weren't there just moments ago. Other than that, everything went back to normal. I moved all the software back into their places, and I set my theme back. Which is when I noticed the last oddity: my favourite themes (you know, those from the shuffle option) list was blank.

Everything seems fine now. I never changed anything, I never used homebrew and I took all the updates Nintendo could throw at me. Can anyone explain what just happened? Is my 3DS dying? Should I be worried?
Tagging anyone I can think of who might be able to help: @Marc @D4rkDragon @ErixSan @Spinnerweb

It's nothing to worry about.
I've experienced this a few times, especially in 2014 when I had just got a microSD card w/adapter for the 3DS. The 3DS's theme and software disappear because the 3DS stops reading the SD card for a moment, so eveything goes to the 'system default' - white background, no SD card applications, but the folders and system apps are still there.

This could be just a momentary hiccup because of age and use. In my case, I just turned off my 3DS, took out the SD card, made the microSD card fit better into the adapter, and inserted it back in so it would fit properly if it had been jerked around before to cause the 3DS to stop recognizing it. When I turned it back on, it worked just as it did before.

It reoccurred a couple of times in the following months, but I haven't had it happen for well over a year now. It won't cause any damage if you take good care of your 3DS/SD card otherwise. I've never even lost any savedata to this glitch.

The fact that you were going to use the Music app makes me even surer that it's the same issue I experienced back then - it's likely you've taken out your SD card to put music on it several times, so yeah, it might not have fit quite as snugly into its port the last time you put it back in.

TL;DR - turn it off, take out the SD card, re-insert it, wait a few seconds, turn it back on. Voila, problemo solved.

I suddenly had an internet connection.

Maybe it wasn't for Internet access but for StreetPass. This also explains the green bubble on Super Mario 3D Land

Which is weird because a 3DS doesn't automatically connect unless you logged in and everything on settings.
Not if there is a Nintendo Zone, which usually connect automatically. Probably it was a home-made setup without password.

It was reset to the blank default. Weird. I still had an internet connection so I decided to test whether it actually worked by launching the Theme shop. It worked just fine.
When the 3DS doesn't load info, it is for corrupted data or failing to load. The same can happen to 3DS games, so the best option the next time is to restart the console WITHOUT the SD card.

No error code or anything. I decided to try the good old Power off-power on trick. Well things got worse. When it powered back up all my software was gone-ish. Why the ish? Well all software (minus the pre-installed stuff) had turned into "newly downloaded software". You know, those little yellow presents with a red ribbon. Opening those revealed all my old software.
That is the result of a corrupted database. When the console don't find the database file with all the games it creates a new one, however since there is no evidence of you opening for the first time the console thinks you recently downloaded them.

Weird enough
everything had been moved out of their folders. The folders themselves where still there though.

Again, database stuff. Happened to me with the 3DS and Wii U

I never used homebrew and I took all the updates Nintendo could throw at me. Can anyone explain what just happened? Is my 3DS dying? Should I be worried?

Your problem is simple: it is not the console, it is the memory. I can't go with further details if I don't know what memory card you are using. If it is easier for you, a photo of it from both front and back would help.

Reactions: Mikaya
wow, this is pretty strange....when i had my old 3ds, i never had this problem. hadnt even heard of it, either.... do you have an old 3ds/3ds xl, or the new 3ds/3ds xl? and whats your current firmware? i dont know the exact number on my new 3ds xl, but i know i have the latest. i may be able to investigate this on nintendo support, if you can give me that information (if they are aware of this issue; but i can always check).

It's nothing to worry about.
I've experienced this a few times, especially in 2014 when I had just got a microSD card w/adapter for the 3DS. The 3DS's theme and software disappear because the 3DS stops reading the SD card for a moment, so eveything goes to the 'system default' - white background, no SD card applications, but the folders and system apps are still there.

This could be just a momentary hiccup because of age and use. In my case, I just turned off my 3DS, took out the SD card, made the microSD card fit better into the adapter, and inserted it back in so it would fit properly if it had been jerked around before to cause the 3DS to stop recognizing it. When I turned it back on, it worked just as it did before.

It reoccurred a couple of times in the following months, but I haven't had it happen for well over a year now. It won't cause any damage if you take good care of your 3DS/SD card otherwise. I've never even lost any savedata to this glitch.

The fact that you were going to use the Music app makes me even surer that it's the same issue I experienced back then - it's likely you've taken out your SD card to put music on it several times, so yeah, it might not have fit quite as snugly into its port the last time you put it back in.

TL;DR - turn it off, take out the SD card, re-insert it, wait a few seconds, turn it back on. Voila, problemo solved.
The point is, the software didn't disappear, rather it became disorganised and acted like it was newly downloaded. But it seems likely it might be the SD.

Maybe it wasn't for Internet access but for StreetPass. This also explains the green bubble on Super Mario 3D Land

Not if there is a Nintendo Zone, which usually connect automatically. Probably it was a home-made setup without password.

When the 3DS doesn't load info, it is for corrupted data or failing to load. The same can happen to 3DS games, so the best option the next time is to restart the console WITHOUT the SD card.

That is the result of a corrupted database. When the console don't find the database file with all the games it creates a new one, however since there is no evidence of you opening for the first time the console thinks you recently downloaded them.

Again, database stuff. Happened to me with the 3DS and Wii U

Your problem is simple: it is not the console, it is the memory. I can't go with further details if I don't know what memory card you are using. If it is easier for you, a photo of it from both front and back would help.
There was no green bubble, but there were streetpasses. All my software had streetpasses but no notifications. A home-made set-up could be a thing though. I've noticed getting a huge amount of streetpasses in the area lately. I use the SD that came with my 3DS. It's 4Gb.

I think you guys are right, it's probably my SD. Should i get a new one? Is there a way to transfer data from one SD to another without corrupting the data?

I think you guys are right, it's probably my SD. Should i get a new one? Is there a way to transfer data from one SD to another without corrupting the data?

Try formatting the console first, that always helps even in the worst cases (I'm telling you from experience). Then check if it still have problems.
If yes, try to use another memory to check if it is your SD card or the console.

The point is, the software didn't disappear, rather it became disorganised and acted like it was newly downloaded. But it seems likely it might be the SD.

There was no green bubble, but there were streetpasses. All my software had streetpasses but no notifications. A home-made set-up could be a thing though. I've noticed getting a huge amount of streetpasses in the area lately. I use the SD that came with my 3DS. It's 4Gb.

oh yeah, you can do that, but i think it can only be done in system transfer, if you're planning on getting a new system (i cant tell if thats what you're saying or not, so forgive me if you're not). idk of a way to transfer solely between SD cards though, but i can definitely investigate for you, if you give me the time. ;)

oh yeah, you can do that, but i think it can only be done in system transfer, if you're planning on getting a new system (i cant tell if thats what you're saying or not, so forgive me if you're not). idk of a way to transfer solely between SD cards though, but i can definitely investigate for you, if you give me the time. ;)

It is obligatory to use the transfer tool to move 3DS data to a new console (regardless you want to move the SD data or not)

It is obligatory to use the transfer tool to move 3DS data to a new console (regardless you want to move the SD data or not)

yeah, thats what i thought.... but im never afraid to double check things. unless there's a way to put the SD in your pc, save it to there, then just switch the cards and copy....idk if that works or not, cuz i never did it. but im guessing that proves useless too, idk. forgive me if im wrong, its just an idea; doesnt mean it works, though.

Try formatting the console first, that always helps even in the worst cases (I'm telling you from experience). Then check if it still have problems.
If yes, try to use another memory to check if it is your SD card or the console.
Doesn't formatting delete all my data? Including my save files? I still don't fully understand how to move data from this SD to another, should I use system transfer?

Doesn't formatting delete all my data? Including my save files? I still don't fully understand how to move data from this SD to another, should I use system transfer?

yes, im pretty sure formatting erases everything: even SD data, regardless if you remove the card before formatting or not. i should know because that happened to me when i did that.

like he said, system transfer is your only option (at least what im aware of, anyways). idk if copying data to a CPU would work or not, cuz i've done that before, only i never actually copied the same data from my CPU to my other SD to see if it would work on the same system (have all the software there on another SD). i could check with my buddies in my group, though. they've gotten a new system before, but idk if either of them tried this. although, one of them is excellent with machines--i bet he might know if you're interested. i can just ask him.

What it does is to delete all the data on the 3DS, but I don't remember if the SD card was included (you can remove it anyways). All the save files are on the card or the cartridge and the exception may be the DSi games that you can backup on the card.

The data that you may lose for sure is the friend list, your actual friend code and the streetpass content.

It isn't as dangerous as it sounds (since your eShop account and some vital data is still linked on the console) but formatting is an important step to do if something in the console is corrupted. You can still try using another SD card instead.

idk if copying data to a CPU would work or not, cuz i've done that before, only i never actually copied the same data from my CPU to my other SD to see if it would work on the same system (have all the software there on another SD).

You can move all your content to another SD card as long as you are using the same console. Basically, it is possible to copy all content inside the SD card to another as longer you don't use the SD card in another 3DS.

What it does is to delete all the data on the 3DS, but I don't remember if the SD card was included (you can remove it anyways). All the save files are on the card or the cartridge and the exception may be the DSi games that you can backup on the card.

The data that you may lose for sure is the friend list, your actual friend code and the streetpass content.

It isn't as dangerous as it sounds (since your eShop account and some vital data is still linked on the console) but formatting is an important step to do if something in the console is corrupted. You can still try using another SD card instead.

You can move all your content to another SD card as long as you are using the same console. Basically, it is possible to copy all content inside the SD card to another as longer you don't use the SD card in another 3DS.

i dont think some of this is right....when i formatted on my old 3ds, it deleted everything: my SD data, system data, dsi ware, you name it. everything--except for my nintendo account. and the data on physical copies of games of course (not including steetpass data, of course). idk if thats the same on a new 3ds xl, though; cuz ive never done it on mine.

i dont think some of this is right....when i formatted on my old 3ds, it deleted everything: my SD data, system data, dsi ware, you name it. everything--except for my nintendo account. and the data on physical copies of games of course (not including steetpass data, of course). idk if thats the same on a new 3ds xl, though; cuz ive never done it on mine.

SD Data: did you remove the memory? The console will delete the data if the memory is inserted.
System Data: that is the point of formatting the console. It is the only way to delete corrupted data in the console too.
Physical Copy data: Saves are not hosted in the console, just downloaded DLC and updates (that can be redownloaded)
DSi Ware: Unless you make a backup on your SD card, these games are hosted in the console's internal memory

I'm telling this from experience, I had to format my old 3DS twice. In the New 3DS XL should be the same (only a little more annoying if you want to remove the micro SD card).

Wait a moment, I will find the official data

EDIT: Official data
  • All data in the System Memory (including friend list, Notifications, and step count)
  • System Settings data
  • Built-in software save data
  • Software update data
  • Data stored on the SD Card, with the exception of photos and videos that you've recorded, will be invalidated. Any downloaded software will need to be redownloaded after the format
  • Downloadable software save data
  • All photos in the System Memory
  • All other extra data
  • The link to a Nintendo Network ID and any associated Nintendo eShop licenses and funds
    • Nintendo eShop software licenses and funds will not be removed if an Nintendo Network ID has not been linked
    • A Nintendo Network ID can be only linked to a different system by performing a system transfer

Last edited:
Reactions: PersonSP
SD Data: did you remove the memory? The console will delete the data if the memory is inserted.
System Data: that is the point of formatting the console. It is the only way to delete corrupted data in the console too.
Physical Copy data: Saves are not hosted in the console, just downloaded DLC and updates (that can be redownloaded)
DSi Ware: Unless you make a backup on your SD card, these games are hosted in the console's internal memory

I'm telling this from experience, I had to format my old 3DS twice. In the New 3DS XL should be the same (only a little more annoying if you want to remove the micro SD card).

Wait a moment, I will find the official data

EDIT: Official data

• All data in the System Memory (including friend list, Notifications, and step count)
    • System Settings data
    • Built-in software save data
    • Software update data
    • Data stored on the SD Card, with the exception of photos and videos that you've recorded, will be invalidated. Any downloaded software will need to be redownloaded after the format
    • Downloadable software save data
    • All photos in the System Memory
    • All other extra data
    • The link to a Nintendo Network ID and any associated Nintendo eShop licenses and funds
      • Nintendo eShop software licenses and funds will not be removed if an Nintendo Network ID has not been linked
      • A Nintendo Network ID can be only linked to a different system by performing a system transfer
Thanks, that's a big help. I still haven't got the error again, so for now I think I won't format, but if it does return I will. It's also good to know I can transfer my data to another SD, this one is getting a little small.

Back