Themed Consoles Vs Skins

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Would you rather get a themed console or buy a skin for the console to use?

Curious :redpanda:

Please state your reasons.

A themed console is just one special edition console based on a game it's centered around.
A skin can be slipped on to the console and you can buy different skins, as many as you want.

Never really tried any skins before, but I know they'll leave empty spots and some may even give trouble to fit.

I would love to have special edition consoles, but I always seem to miss out. I wanted the pokemon sun/moon xl but it wasn't available when I was looking at getting it, so I got a skin with the image. The set I got had stickers for the inside aswell which was good, as later I got a Yo-kai watch Jibanyan protective case which covers up the outer stickers. I originally had a clear case which showed the sticker but I couldn't resist buying the Yo-kai case when it was on sale.
We have a Star Wars ps4 pro with matching controller, which our only themed console.
As nice as they look, I think I would only buy a special edition if it was the same price as a regular one or came with a game/special deal. The Hylian Shield and Pokeball new 2ds editions were a big temptation. They look great.

Reactions: SmugWolff
I like special edition consoles cuz theres literally “special” in the name. And if its a game i LOVE, then it definitely is better than skins. Skins are interchangeable and all but i would be too lazy to keep changing skins. Plus theres always the option of putting a skin OVER the special console.

Would you rather get a themed console or buy a skin for the console to use?

Curious :redpanda:

Please state your reasons.

A themed console is just one special edition console based on a game it's centered around.
A skin can be slipped on to the console and you can buy different skins, as many as you want.

Never really tried any skins before, but I know they'll leave empty spots and some may even give trouble to fit.
In my opinion, special editions are almost always better than skins, as they are more reliable (most of the time) and don't go off. If you wan't your console yellow, you can get a special edition, and it doesn't go away because it's the original hardware. However, when you get a skin, you may risk having the color wear off because of the adhesives (unless it's made of the right material)! Although I haven't owned a skin, I've heard many people have the issue of skins on their Nintendo Switch, but not so much on other consoles like the DS or PS4.

New 3DS Faceplates > Special Editions > Skins
Special Editions were always nice but you get just that
Skins you can change all the time but its most of the time one use and can damage the hardware
Faceplates is best of both worlds.
Bring back Faceplates to Switch, Nintendo.

Reactions: Furyofthestorm78, Jisenku and SmugWolff
I know Smash has one but I like my Switch without either. Odds are I'll be playing more than just Smash. If I want something semi-custom I'd get new pairs of Joy-Cons with a different color and then I can attach them on the go with any color scheme I presume and that will tell it apart from the rest. Skins get in the way of gameplay or the feel your hand is used to and themed consoles feel more like collectors items than anything.

Reactions: Deepak
to be honest, i dont find worth it to spend more money for those skins or "special editions"

Reactions: Sunny_Meows
I would rather have a special edition, skins can get torn or peel off, and still have parts of the original body visible while special editions don't tear and typically look better.
Skins also feel pretty weird in the hand, I used to use a skin and i had to take it off because it make the console feel slippery and attracted alot of dust.

Reactions: Jisenku
I think that a high quality skin is more preferable to me (only from somewhere REALLY quality...) though as a collector I can see special editions having more value

Reactions: Jisenku and Sunny_Meows
Back