Thin Booklets. :p

• Thread starter P2.0
  • Start date

Do you prefer the more full manuals, or the smaller ones?

• Bigger!

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Smaller!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm fine with either, tbh.

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
P2.0

P2.0

BlueJ was here.
Towns Folk
Hiya! P2.0 here with another topic-thingy that maybe you guys are already hip-to-the-jive with. :cool:

Anyways, for most of our older members, or perhaps younger members if they remember, think back.
Think back to when you got a new game to play from either a Walmart, or from your local game store. Remember the feeling? The giddiness? :D But that car ride home was torture! D: So what did you do to pass the time? Pop open the case, and read the booklet inside. :thumbsup:
The best thing before playing a game, if not for you, for me anyways, was reading the manual
for the game. :p All the stuff packed in, featuring controls, allies, foes, a few bosses, and some helpful
tips and tricks was really exciting to read through for me as kid. It sort of helped along with making
stories, or even help with little RPs with my siblings as kids. \o/

But over the years, the booklets became thin. ;-; Barely anything to read, except controls.
And sometimes, not even a booklet at all, just the game. D: I dunno, did people grow tired of
reading through it, or what? So unclear.

Anyways, what about you guys? Do you miss, or can live without the instruction booklets being
as full as they once were?

I know that feeling! I've always had the smaller ones, though it wasn't a very long car ride anyway. So I was fine. But I guess for people now that just order them online, they don't read the manual so they started making them smaller like you said.

Reactions: P2.0
I know that feeling! I've always had the smaller ones, though it wasn't a very long car ride anyway. So I was fine. But I guess for people now that just order them online, they don't read the manual so they started making them smaller like you said.
Yeah, I guess you're right. Not many people read manuals like they used to. They'd rather just find out how to play by themselves. \o/

Which is fine, don't get me wrong! :eek: But I sorta miss how they used to be. So much thought went into each one I've read in the past, and it was so interesting to read a small description about the characters I'd meet along my new adventure.

Reactions: Skyshaymin
Fine with either.

But I prefer digital manuals instead of physical ones anyway =P

Fine with either.

But I prefer digital manuals instead of physical ones anyway =P
Not me, I don't think digital really fits with it. But to each his own. \o/

Meh i just put the game in and play it put sometimes if the manual has something cool in it i read it.

Bigger all the time. (When I first got SSB for wii U at my grandparents' house, I read up about the character moves. That's when I learned of Zelda's new special move, the Phantom strike.)

I would enjoy the art in the booklets a lot. I've seen some games still put a decent booklet in with their game but it's very few and far between now s days , that's why when a game comes with something like an art book with a limited edition I get it . I would have gotten bravely 2nd's art book but I really don't like how they removed some of the art pages cause some people with no idea what they're talked about thought it had bad things in it cause they have no understanding of the arts.

I like the big manuals with lots of notes and jokes and artwork. I love getting a bit more of the developers feelings about the game. Those flimsy manuals nowadays just won't do.

Reactions: P2.0 and Skyshaymin
Bigger Manual,simply for colletability value.
I like it alot when they include some things that arent just how the game works,like artwork,background story and so on.
It just feels like something actually worth a read instead of just "press a to make mario jump".
Also is nice when you can fold them out to posters(never saw it on a game manual,but thats a thing with alot of cd booklets).
I also like it when the manual is more humorful than serious,because well,if it isnt a game with really complicated mechanics,you can just do trial and error in the game,so there isnt really much point in reading it.

Bigger Manual,simply for colletability value.
I like it alot when they include some things that arent just how the game works,like artwork,background story and so on.
It just feels like something actually worth a read instead of just "press a to make mario jump".
Also is nice when you can fold them out to posters(never saw it on a game manual,but thats a thing with alot of cd booklets).
I also like it when the manual is more humorful than serious,because well,if it isnt a game with really complicated mechanics,you can just do trial and error in the game,so there isnt really much point in reading it.
That's what I mean! ;~; Actual artwork, story, and just life. Shows how proud of the creators were making it, to me, anyway. I enjoyed reading all of that when games used to have such booklets. Now it's either really thin, or it's that boring digital manual. :/ Like, it's not bad, but it lacks what the past booklets used to feature. ;-;

I always used to like the old instruction manuals that came with the SNES games. They had so much weird and interesting information in them, much of which was crucial to actually beating the game. Things like that just aren't as necessary anymore, with the advent of tutorial levels and the like.

Back