Think We'll See Nintendo Licenced Lego Sets?

• Thread starter Artisan
  • Start date
Artisan

Artisan

Hard At Work
Forum Moderator
We know there's interest as of when I read this:
https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09...8d6/post/44aa4331-5676-4762-acfc-1de5801fa1aa
There's a set idea revolving BoTW. Sure we've seen Nintendo stuff in the past/present from other brands but come on Nintendo can afford the most well known can they?
1579994544947.png
Yeah the colors are all over the place but I never played BoTW. I preferred other ideas from the same page or even a Hyrule Castle (which that's been done in a model for TP here:
) but you gotta stay within the budget I guess.

Yes Pokémon has their own buildable Pokémon and I don't know the quality of the plastic used but since it can still be made as a fan model regardless gives me some hope for Both their futures.

What do ya say?

I'm honestly really surprised this hasn't happened yet, which makes me think that there's a reason for it. I think K'Nex had the license a few years ago for mario sets, but after a quick google, those don't seem to exist anymore/no Nintendo licensed products are officially sold by them anymore.

Isn't the whole point of lego though that you can build anything? Do you need licensed sets to build structures? If you couldn't find things that are just needed, then you could paint or modify the bricks so they fit your design :p

Isn't the whole point of lego though that you can build anything? Do you need licensed sets to build structures? If you couldn't find things that are just needed, then you could paint or modify the bricks so they fit your design :p
But that's "non-purest" and you'd be surprised how many parts in the size, shape, scale, quantity just aren't there because Lego recycles parts all the time and only adds a small fraction of parts in every year. I say quantity because those rare parts cost more and some not sold in certain areas especially the US.

But that's "non-purest" and you'd be surprised how many parts in the size, shape, scale, quantity just aren't there because Lego recycles parts all the time and only adds a small fraction of parts in every year. I say quantity because those rare parts cost more and some not sold in certain areas especially the US.

Ngl "non-purist" sounds a bit like gatekeeping. I aint ever done much with lego outside of the video games, but isn't the whole point of it that you be creative and do what you want? And yeah, like I said if you can't find the parts you need, modify the bricks yourself/paint them.

Ngl "non-purist" sounds a bit like gatekeeping. I aint ever done much with lego outside of the video games, but isn't the whole point of it that you be creative and do what you want? And yeah, like I said if you can't find the parts you need, modify the bricks yourself/paint them.
At this point yes it sounds like a good idea, but have fun going through the effort of finding the right paint. The tolerance might not be right on the connection. I think that just devalues Lego as a whole. If someone was good enough and wanted a quality model, it would be big, in bricks, and that someone would be licensed by Lego to do it and wouldn't have to do anything extra just to make it look exactly how you wanted without the mumbo jumbo.

At this point yes it sounds like a good idea, but have fun going through the effort of finding the right paint. The tolerance might not be right on the connection. I think that just devalues Lego as a whole. If someone was good enough and wanted a quality model, it would be big, in bricks, and that someone would be licensed by Lego to do it and wouldn't have to do anything extra just to make it look exactly how you wanted without the mumbo jumbo.

Go into a local model shop, I 100% bet you'll find the paint and tools in there :p Really though, let people do what people want to do. If someone wants to plan out a huge model to make by hand, what's stopping them? What if someone doesn't really care about exact paint shades and just wants to make things they like?

Sometimes people don't want something exact, kids, in particular, might enjoy making something similar to what they like. Painting is always a fun thing to do and great skill to get better at. Even if you don't go the route of modifying bricks, still could make things from standard bricks.

Huh. This aged well.

https://brickipedia.fandom.com/wiki/Super_Mario

I haven't bought LEGO sets in a long time, so I don't own any of these or know much about it either, but I do know there are at least official LEGO Super Mario sets, as in the link above. They seem to be mechanical or something if I recall correctly - like a physical game of sorts, akin the videogame series it is more well known for.

While this approach makes SM stand out from other themes, it feels a little disappointing we never got any actual LEGO sets of the traditional kind, though it would be understandable as Mario doesn't exactly feature any landmark locations or vehicles of any kind. Perhaps a series like Splatoon or Star Fox would fit better with LEGO... maybe in the future, perhaps.

Back