Tips for Becoming a Better Fire Emblem Player?

• Thread starter Neon_jon
  • Start date
Neon_jon

Neon_jon

Aspiring Hero
Towns Folk
Any thoughts?

Well, I'd first recommend familiarizing yourself with the gameplay mechanics :p

There's a small guide for terms and such here:
http://forum.3dspedia.com/threads/f...-skill-pool-and-reclassing-explanation.29037/

If you're just starting out, my advice would be to NOT focus on a single unit, but don't try raising your whole army unless you plan on grinding a lot, a few noteworthy units for a simple story playthrough, in my opinion, would be:

Corrin/Avatar: you need to use him :p but besides that, he can be very balanced depending on what stats you chose at the start, but coming from a base class perspective (his Nohr Prince class and it's promotions) he's a solid unit that gains experience faster than others, and depending on the version you're playing, can be either a great offensive unit with diverse options for attacks (Conquest) or a great tank/support unit with a lot of utility while still keeping a good offense (Birthright)

Azura: Her unique ability to Sing gives a supreme advantage, since taking another turn means you can retreat, heal, attack, etc and she gets experience out of the deal, while she can fight well, her best use is simply spamming Sing at all times, that way she also won't steal kills from others.

Silas: He has great availability and balanced physical stats, which makes him a reliable choice for a unit.

Kaze: Has wonderful Speed and joins early, making leveling easier. He starts as a Ninja, thus giving him access to Shuriken, which have the same range as Tomes and cause debuffs on enemies, and so, can set up kills for other, weaker units.

The royal siblings of each route are also the best and most efficient units for a story playthrough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neon_jon
Thanks for the tips. The other problems I've been having are leveling up really low leveled units (Mozu) and re-classing. It's very difficult to babysit the low leveled characters. Sometimes it really doesn't feel worth it in the long run. Especially when they're like level 4 and the rest are level 15 and above. And for reclassing, I have no idea how to class a character based on their stats

Thanks for the tips. The other problems I've been having are leveling up really low leveled units (Mozu) and re-classing. It's very difficult to babysit the low leveled characters. Sometimes it really doesn't feel worth it in the long run. Especially when they're like level 4 and the rest are level 15 and above. And for reclassing, I have no idea how to class a character based on their stats
Weak characters like Mozu are indeed hard to train unless you have the EXP dlc (which isn't even good) and while Mozu turns out good, she's not required by any means, units that are reliable from the start are better, like Ryoma and Takumi (Birthright) and Xander and Leo (Conquest)

Also, their base class are (for an efficient run through the story) generally better for them, as are their promotions.

Thanks. I always see people re-classing their my unit and all of their characters as well and honestly it's a bit intimidating to say the least. I definitely won't be playing online due to the high amount of extremely competitive players. Also for classic mode should I ever just let some characters go? I've never been the type of person to just say screw it and let 1 or 2 die. I like to keep them all alive. Is it better off in the long run to let a couple of the less important characters die just so it doesn't get extremely annoying?

Thanks. I always see people re-classing their my unit and all of their characters as well and honestly it's a bit intimidating to say the least. I definitely won't be playing online due to the high amount of extremely competitive players. Also for classic mode should I ever just let some characters go? I've never been the type of person to just say screw it and let 1 or 2 die. I like to keep them all alive. Is it better off in the long run to let a couple of the less important characters die just so it doesn't get extremely annoying?
Most competitive players have finished the story and thus have more resources and can dedicate themselves to making a proper online team, after you're more experienced you should definitely give it a try :p

I personally don't let any of my characters die, I'd rather go for full completion with no deaths, which is usually standard for Fire Emblem xD if it feels too annoying, there's no shame in playing Casual mode if you enjoy the story more.

Thanks for the help by the way. I highly appreciate it :)

Thanks for the help by the way. I highly appreciate it :)
No problem :3 if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

This might sound a little cliché, but reading the guides on the battle menu is really helpful. I wasn't familiar with some of the mechanics of Fire Emblem Fates (Plus, I'm playing on lunatic), so I read some of them to know how to play better and make good use of the new mechanics. Give them a try, I'm sure you won't regret it!

This might sound a little cliché, but reading the guides on the battle menu is really helpful. I wasn't familiar with some of the mechanics of Fire Emblem Fates (Plus, I'm playing on lunatic), so I read some of them to know how to play better and make good use of the new mechanics. Give them a try, I'm sure you won't regret it!
It does sound very cliché, but if you say it helps I'll have to try it. I'm not turning down helpful information. Thanks

It does sound very cliché, but if you say it helps I'll have to try it. I'm not turning down helpful information. Thanks
Hope you become a pro! Also, if you have any specific question about anything in Fire Emblem, don't hesitate to ask :) I know not everything is on the guides... (marriage and children, for example... or at least I don't remember seeing any guide about it)

Last edited:
Here are some tips while playing a level.

Review the map first & make a strategy. Some maps maybe good for going on the offense while others require to play hard defense. Taking advantage of the map really helps.

Pair up a lot. There is two ways to pair up; you can combine them into 1 unit, which boost stats, or you can make them stand side by side, which will allow them to both hit the enemy. I wouldn't say combine people that much but just to make people stand side by side, because when you stand side by side you'll do a LOT more damage since both units will be hitting.

Look at what type of enemy it is before going to fight him. Each class has a weakness to another class, and by figuring out the weakness you can do a lot more damage. For instance, if I send my cavalry unit to fight a Pegasus Knight he may do OK, but if I send my archer class he'll destroy the unit.

Strategize a lot. Plan your moves before you make them. View how far the enemy units move so you know if they'll be able to attack you in a certain place. View the enemy stats to see how much defense, attack, etc. they have and attack/defend accordingly.

Those are some basic tips. Hope I helped! :3

Good luck!

God bless >:3

Back