Tips on Reading?

• Thread starter amirally27
  • Start date
amirally27

amirally27

The Hero in Green
Towns Folk
So heres the deal. Every year, I end up getting a 'partially meets' score on the MCA Test (its a state wide test that is really important). Every year, I work really hard to try and prepare, but I just end up getting the same thing. Its really difficult, because I get straight A's in Science, Math, Geography, and yes, READING. I Ace that class every year, but on the test, I JUST CANT GET A GOOD SCORE! I read every once in a while, I understand everything in my English/Reading class. So why am I getting such bad scores? I dont even get nervous about the test, I am always motivated and ready for the test. So, any tips on how to improve my score? This would really help alot :(

I know exactly how you feel, reading has always been my worst subject on standardized tests. I'm a slowish reader and the questions make no sense because multiple answers always seem to be correct. I essentially try to read as quickly as possible; if I don't pick up every single tiny detail, that's fine. The questions generally list a line number for you to refer to, making it easy to find any important information you might have missed. Some people read the questions first so they know what to look for, but this has never worked for me. Lastly, I try to think as logically as possible when answering the questions. As I said, two or more answers may seem right at first, but if you think about it you'll hopefully realize that some of the answers don't make sense in the context of the passage. I don't really know what you'll get out of this post, but that's sort of how I go about the reading section of standardized tests.

Reactions: amirally27
I know exactly how you feel, reading has always been my worst subject on standardized tests. I'm a slowish reader and the questions make no sense because multiple answers always seem to be correct. I essentially try to read as quickly as possible; if I don't pick up every single tiny detail, that's fine. The questions generally list a line number for you to refer to, making it easy to find any important information you might have missed. Some people read the questions first so they know what to look for, but this has never worked for me. Lastly, I try to think as logically as possible when answering the questions. As I said, two or more answers may seem right at first, but if you think about it you'll hopefully realize that some of the answers don't make sense in the context of the passage. I don't really know what you'll get out of this post, but that's sort of how I go about the reading section of standardized tests.
Well, its good to know someone else out there knows what its like. Thanks for the info :)

Reading's a strange topic overall for testing and that I too, struggle greatly upon it. But like any subject, practice makes perfect. However, before you practice, there are a few important tips you should definitely consider.

Tip 1: Read the questions. Then, categorize each one either easy, normal, or hard. I'll break down each level:
Easy: These questions require no reading of the text(s), usually asking what a word means or about a sentence ripped straight from the prompt. It sometimes says something like, "Refer to line 20." These questions point you to where you need to read.
Normal: Those questions need some reading from the text or skimming, like a paragraph or two, and a bit of understanding of what you're reading.
Hard: These questions want you to read the whole text or compare and contrast two prompts. Or maybe, they want you to identify the meaning, tone, or theme of a passage. Usually makes you cry internally.

Examples:
"Easy"
LeXXQaI.png

(Points you in the correct direction, minimal strings attached.)

"Normal"
VME24pP.png

(Requires you to skim the text for the answer with some understanding.)

"Hard"
RGjcCp5.png

(Requires that you read the prompt AND understand it.)

With these levels, I don't recommend answering the questions in order, because you'll want to answer them from easy to normal then hard. You goal is to get as many as you can right. Skipping is a useful technique too.

Tip 2: This tip follows the first one. Read the prompt fully. Read to understand. Read with the questions in mind. Read briskly. This is probably the hardest step of the test and most time-consuming, but it IS important you read it. To do this, look at the author's diction, syntax, figurative language, and anything else that reveals the theme, meaning, and tone.

Tip 3: Broaden your vocabulary. Oftentimes, a text may be superfluous in nature, so you combat by knowing a wide range of words. English has over a million of them, so its not easy to accomplish, but reading books of high literary merit can alleviate some of the stress by exposing you to a heightened vocabulary.

Tip 4: Do the test backwards. Start with the last prompt and end with the first. Standardized reading tests usually feature the opposite of an escalating difficulty curve, since the excerpts become easier as you go. So go from 50 to 1.

Tip 5: Use process of elimination and choose the BEST answer. One answer can always be eliminated from the get go. This is important for questions that seemingly have two correct answers, but one is always better than the other, even if you think otherwise (I ALWAYS think otherwise! :mad:)

Tip 6: Condition your mind with practice tests.

I am most confident you will be successful in your academic career, regardless of whether you follow these tips or not. I hope I showed you something useful. :p

Reactions: Hikki and amirally27
Reading's a strange topic overall for testing and that I too, struggle greatly upon it. But like any subject, practice makes perfect. However, before you practice, there are a few important tips you should definitely consider.

Tip 1: Read the questions. Then, categorize each one either easy, normal, or hard. I'll break down each level:
Easy: These questions require no reading of the text(s), usually asking what a word means or about a sentence ripped straight from the prompt. It sometimes says something like, "Refer to line 20." These questions point you to where you need to read.
Normal: Those questions need some reading from the text or skimming, like a paragraph or two, and a bit of understanding of what you're reading.
Hard: These questions want you to read the whole text or compare and contrast two prompts. Or maybe, they want you to identify the meaning, tone, or theme of a passage. Usually makes you cry internally.

Examples:
"Easy"
LeXXQaI.png

"Normal"
VME24pP.png

"Hard"
RGjcCp5.png

With these levels, I don't recommend answering the questions in order, because you'll want to answer them from easy to normal then hard. You goal is to get as many as you can right. Skipping is a useful technique too.

Tip 2: This tip follows the first one. Read the prompt fully. Read to understand. Read with the questions in mind. Read briskly. This is probably the hardest step of the test and most time-consuming, but it IS important you read it. To do this, look at the author's diction, syntax, figurative language, and anything else that reveals the theme, meaning, and tone.

Tip 3: Broaden your vocabulary. Oftentimes, a text may be superfluous in nature, so you combat by knowing a wide range of words. English has over a million of them, so its not easy to accomplish, but reading books of high literary merit can alleviate some of the stress by exposing you to a heightened vocabulary.

Tip 4: Do the test backwards. Start with the last prompt and end with the first. Standardized reading tests usually feature the opposite of an escalating difficulty curve, since the excerpts become easier as you go. So go from 50 to 1.

Tip 5: Use process of elimination and choose the BEST answer. One answer can always be eliminated from the get go. This is important for questions that seemingly have two correct answers, but one is always better than the other, even if you think otherwise (I ALWAYS think otherwise! :mad:)

I am most confident you will be successful in your academic career, regardless of whether you follow these tips or not. I hope I showed you something useful. :p

Holy cow....thank you so much! This is extremely helpful!! You just gained a follower for your help :rotfl: thanks again!

Examples:
"Easy"
LeXXQaI.png

"Normal"
VME24pP.png

"Hard"
RGjcCp5.png

Nice...but this is exactly what your teacher tells you to do in school and what you practice in school xD I guess htat was a nice refresher :)

For my really important state-wide test, the teachers are required to put on the AC at a really cold level so you don't fall asleep. They tell you to bring jackets, but that makes you fall asleep xD So just put it on once in a while then take it off or else you will fall asleep. I guess that's not much advice but thats what made me lag behind a bit

Holy cow....thank you so much! This is extremely helpful!! You just gained a follower for your help :rotfl: thanks again!
Thank you thank you thank you! A person's gratitude is the greatest reward! I just wanted to pass down what my real-life senpai at school taught me! :p

For my really important state-wide test, the teachers are required to put on the AC at a really cold level so you don't fall asleep. They tell you to bring jackets, but that makes you fall asleep xD So just put it on once in a while then take it off or else you will fall asleep. I guess that's not much advice but thats what made me lag behind a bit
I can confirm, I never had a problem with falling asleep., though. I usually finish in an hour and sleep for the next 4 lmao

Well... I had problems with reading in the past, referring to mystery stories. Annotating texts help a lot, it helps you understand a story, listing important details is also really crucial, that way if you are confused, you can look back at your notes, and stuff like that. Falling asleep in class? I think you should sleep more, lol!

Reactions: 423
Helps if you look for the answer of the questions as you read. If they give you a seperate piece of paper, right down important details and any thoughts you have while reading to help you with the questions. On extended response (if you guys have those on this test) use RACES which means Restate, Answer, Cite, Explain, and Summarize. An extra CE for every passage. 3 passages mean it's a RACECECES

You can read 30 minutes right before you go to bed with books higher than your grade level which will improve your vocabulary and when you see the words on the test you will know the answer.

They make reading tests to purposely confuse people these days lol. When taking vigorous reading tests, I usually read through things once just to get a feel for it, then I re-read by skimming through the things in the text that I found important (I usually highlight the important details). The times I can't highlight, I underline. :p Reading has never really been my absolute stronghold, but I find that taking note of information via highlight and pencil/pen helps a ton.

When you are reading you should highlight important topic or underline it and once you finish reading it look at the questions and then go back the story and read again then once you've read the 2nd time start answering questions and cross out the answers that can't be it once you get down to two circle the right answer by remembering what the story said and tells you to do also don't stress nor move on to another question because you will get stuck once you get back and also stress isn't good try to pay attention and ignore the AC that makes noise don't rush and take your time I did this for a college test and I passed with a lot of them right.

Back