Gen 6 [Tutorial] Make a backup of your save for X/Y/ORAS

• Thread starter D4rkDragon
  • Start date
D4rkDragon

D4rkDragon

Lemon Dragon
Towns Folk
Note: To do this, you'll need:
-An original 3DS or 2DS running an firmware between 9.0.0 and 9.5.0 (Sorry N3DS users, for once, we get something exclusive!). Also, it won't work on Korean consoles for now.

Hi,
For this tutorial, I'll help you learn how to backup save for Pokémon X/Y/OR/AS. Doing this will be a bit tricky, but, follow the instructions and you should be fine.

(Note: I'll try with my retail copy of X, but apparently, it doesn't matter if you have a digital copy or a retail copy of the game)

Ready ? Let's Start !
1) Download the RAM2SAV tool available at the end of this post (it's an attachment)
2) Put the "rsavout.bin" and "rsavin.bin" files at the root of your console's SD Card.
3) Put the SD back in the console.
4) Start Pokémon X/Y/OR/AS, and load your save (get in-game).
4.1) Please, store all of the Pokémons inside your Battle Box and inside of your Party in the PC boxes, so, you won't lose them.
5) Now, press the HOME Menu button, and start the Internet Browser.

6) Delete the cookies and the history. Apparently, those can mess up what we're going to do.
7) Go to http://bit.ly/1JUgAFv to execute "rsavout.bin". Since it's a GPU-based exploit, the lower screen will go green.
8) The console will crash back to the Home Menu, and ask you to close everything and reboot. Shut it down.
9) Get the SD Card, and put it in your computer.
10) Get the ramsav.bin, and store it preciously on your computer. It's your Pokémon Save File. You might want to rename it in order to know which game is this save for, and stuff like that.
11) Start a new game.
12) That's all.

1. Backup your new save data (RSavOut.bin -> Exec)
2. Get your new ramsav.bin and store it on your PC.
3. Now, pick up your old save and put it on the SD.
4. Start the game on which the old save was made.
5. Home Menu -> Internet Browser -> Execute RSavIn.bin (here)
6. Wait for the console to crash.
7. Get back to game and voila! Your data will be restored! (Note: Since the "new" save might still be in RAM when you'll do the operation, the Pokémons stored in the PC will be overwritten with the old Pokémons. And the same goes for the game flags. In any case, check below for more info)
8. You're done.

Attachments

• RAM2sav.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Reactions: Marc, 18 and Mikaya
Good News: As I said before, you can't really restore your data, but there's still something good: You can import many things from your previous data!

For now, here's a list of what's imported:
-Pokémons in the PC boxes (Remember, put your Party + Battle Box 'mons in the PC boxes!)
-Pokédex State
-Items (including HM/TM and Mega Stones)
-Key Items
-Money
-PokéMiles
-Hall Of Fame Entries
-Badges
-Battle Points
-Game Flags (= variables that handles events. (ie. Battles against your rival or when you pick up an item on the ground))
-Events Pokémons (Their cards + them if you didn't ask the girl in a Pokémon Center to get them)

However, Game Time is rewritten, so, don't get scared when you'll see your game time reset to 0:00 hours !
So, that's exciting news. I'll keep searching.

Last edited:
That's brave of you. :thumbsup:

I didn't realize until now (just finished the game today :cat: ) that we can't start a New Game without getting rid of the old data. That makes this useful if I ever want to start a new game, although I'm keeping my current save for quite a while :)

@Cheshire_Cat03 You said you wanted to start a new game without losing your Pokemon, eh? :giggle:

That's brave of you. :thumbsup:

I didn't realize until now (just finished the game today :cat: ) that we can't start a New Game without getting rid of the old data. That makes this useful if I ever want to start a new game, although I'm keeping my current save for quite a while :)

@Cheshire_Cat03 You said you wanted to start a new game without losing your Pokemon, eh? :giggle:

Actually, as I updated, don't do it. Apparently, the 3DS only get a few chunks of the data.
Of course, the best you'll be able to do would be (through modifications [using a tool that most of you might know :whistle:]), put your old Pokémons in your new save (at least put those in the PC boxes). (a bit like a New Game +).

So, if you don't want to lose your data for now, don't restore!!!

Edit: See 2nd post.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18
Seems quite interesting. So does this work already? And; how?

Apparently it doesn't work properly yet.

Seems too complicated for me but if i have to i will use in the correct situation but i don't think that situation will ever come,anyways thanks for the info even though i won't be using it anytime soon and btw when do use this method and for what purpose?

Seems too complicated for me but if i have to i will use in the correct situation but i don't think that situation will ever come,anyways thanks for the info even though i won't be using it anytime soon and btw when do use this method and for what purpose?

No, it isn't as complicated as you think (it's just the way I wrote it who seems complicated. In~5 minutes you can do it).
It's useful if let's say, you get a bad egg (if that can be spread, but I doubt it) or if you get a corrupted save or Pokémon , or if you want to restart a new game (and in that case, you'll have to make a backup of that 2nd save too in order for it not to get overwritten by your old save if you want to switch them).

No, it isn't as complicated as you think (it's just the way I wrote it who seems complicated. In~5 minutes you can do it).
It's useful if let's say, you get a bad egg (if that can be spread, but I doubt it) or if you get a corrupted save or Pokémon , or if you want to restart a new game (and in that case, you'll have to make a backup of that 2nd save too in order for it not to get overwritten by your old save if you want to switch them).
cool cool good to know

Back