TV show/movie ideas

• Thread starter TheYESDragon
  • Start date
TheYESDragon

TheYESDragon

Find Your Warrior
Towns Folk
I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread where we can share original TV show/movie ideas that you've had.

1) Mine is currently untitled, but it's about a guy called Dean Mason, who is found after being missing for several years and crashing his spaceship on the Earth (later to be revealed as him being on the run from aliens after the SS Destiny reactivates), and cannot remember anything in the past. He joins an organisation led by a man named Damien Carter trying to fight a number of demons who have escaped from the Nightmare Realm through a crack in the dimensions and find an alien power source, which Dean can sense if he is close to it, to close the portal. Accompanied by the muscle of his team, Hunter, and a brilliant young software engineer, Mike Russell, he travels the US while trying to save people from the demons and creatures. He finds the power source but it is taken and Carter tries to kill them. He finds out that Carter is being controlled by the aliens and using the power source to create a superweapon and transferring alien parts to selected towns which can become interdimensional gateways to the other dimensions, including the Nightmare Realm and the Null Void (which they convert into a super prison for the most dangerous criminals). Dean, Mike and Hunter then try to stop Carter by becoming a vigilante team but Dean is exposed and hunted down and forced to fake his own death, while Hunter leaves town to infiltrate the government and military, who are revealed to be working with Carter, to stop them from interfering with Dean. It is then revealed that Carter's daughter is being held captive in an alien world and therefore Carter is being blackmailed into building the superweapon - Dean goes to the alien world to rescue her and Carter switches off the weapon, which malfunctions and is fired into the sky. The rift connecting the alien world and the Earth closes with Dean trapped in the alien world.

In the mid-season finale, Dean finds a machine which will bring back his memories slowly throughout the season and in flashbacks, we see Dean's brother being chosen to join an organisation that is experimenting with space travel. He joins a team that will pilot a ship (the SS Destiny) that was found that they want to explore the solar system and find a new habitable world. The team prepares for the first voyage that will take them to the moon. However, after the ship leaves orbit, and the spaceship's auto pilot activates with a set course for the centre of the universe with stops at several planets and they are hunted by a group of aliens named the Valdorn and Dean's brother is killed while sending the ship home and Dean is forced to leave his entire crew on another planet, promising to return for them, including Damien Carter (who is funding the operations)'s daughter, after finding out that the ship is the key to the Eternity Clock, a time travel device which records all of time and space and that he must keep it safe. He leaves with the spaceship and crashes it on the Earth.

In addition to that, in one of the towns that is an interdimensional gateway to the other dimensions, Bushwick, Dean's friend Tom Pines is joined by his nephew Barry Pines as they try to find the gateway which holds the demon Lich King, the Valdorn chief and could bring all of the aliens to the Earth. This is the secondary storyline.

And well, that's my idea for the first season of the show.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18
Well I do plan on making this graphic novel series called Unbound Territory one day. It's basically about humans exploiting most of the resources Earth could give them. So they are soon forced to gather the last of their materials and move to another planet.

Some countries that exist today will not exist in Unbound Territory because due to economics, lack of resources, population decrease, etc.

But the story truly starts when scientists try to create a bomb to destroy giant mountains containing a precious material exclusive to that planet. But the bomb diffused while people were there. Not exactly, but slowly, they affect the people and over time, they gain powers to manipulate the four states of matter. They start out as a few, but decades later, the population of those beings increase, causing widespread panic for humanity. So the world government decides to quarantine this new race of humans. But those humans soon develop their own nations and continue to expand in population. Will they increase to as far to overpopulate Homo sapiens? You'll have to find out in the future.

I won't give away the protagonists because they're still being developed.

Reactions: TheYESDragon
I have a few rough concepts for some movies, I'd like to think they're original but deep inside I'm sure they've made already :(. One of the ideas I have is for a boxing movie where the boxing matches are entirely synchronized to drum beats which means unless a boxer is throwing a punch, there's absolutely no sound whatsoever, the only time you would hear any sound would be in between rounds where you hear the crowd, corner men, referees, etc. Another idea I have is for a romantic short film that takes place entirely in a car, I know there have been films that entirely take place in a car setting but to my knowledge, none of them have been romances which I think would be really interesting.

Reactions: Doctor Strange
Hmmm... a TV-series... I don't watch too much TV (only the news and the current TMNT series) so that's a pretty hard one. I do have a few book ideas and game ideas but those wouldn't work as a TV-series.

What I would like is a series where you follow the villain and he friggin wins. It shouldn't be the semi-comical stuff but rather something with deep characters (so that while the villain is the absolute bad guy you thoroughly don't despise him). It should take a while to figure out that the main is actually deliberately causing the 'bad' stuff to happen for it's own goals. It also shouldn't happen too fast. The first few episodes just really deepen out the characters and the setting and then slowly our villain starts going wild. :sneaky: And no happy ending. Forced happy endings make good series into bad series. Don't Disneyfy this stuff.

Hmmm... a TV-series... I don't watch too much TV (only the news and the current TMNT series) so that's a pretty hard one. I do have a few book ideas and game ideas but those wouldn't work as a TV-series.

What I would like is a series where you follow the villain and he friggin wins. It shouldn't be the semi-comical stuff but rather something with deep characters (so that while the villain is the absolute bad guy you thoroughly don't despise him). It should take a while to figure out that the main is actually deliberately causing the 'bad' stuff to happen for it's own goals. It also shouldn't happen too fast. The first few episodes just really deepen out the characters and the setting and then slowly our villain starts going wild. :sneaky: And no happy ending. Forced happy endings make good series into bad series. Don't Disneyfy this stuff.
But there are already movies where the bad guy wins.

So as for my initial TV show idea, I kinda thought of the name "Legion", no particular reason why although I suppose that looking at the "Legion of Superheroes" was kinda inspiring as my characters end up being superheroes and well, "Legion" sounds pretty cool.

So basically, in season 1, the hero Dean Mason (for lack of a better name, feel free to suggest a new one) crashes his spaceship on Earth. He joins a team led by Damien Carter to find the Cosmic Gems, which landed on Earth when Dean did and Dean seems to have powers as he can sense them. Basically, they find them and try to close a rift in the universe to other dimensions as aliens and creatures are leaking out - but Damien turns out to be working for a group of aliens who want for him to create a superweapon powered by the gems and create gateways to the other dimensions as the Earth holds something that they want. So the tides turn and Dean becomes a vigilante to try and stop Damien, but he is creating a weapon to get revenge against the aliens for killing his wife on a top-secret mission that was supposed to create the gateway to other planets. Dean fights him but the weapon goes off and causes a massive earthquake whilst opening up new portals to other worlds, as Dean ends up trapped on the alien Valdorn planet. We also get flashbacks where Dean was on the mission and pilots the SS Destiny across space, trying to find a way back home.

In season 2, Dean leaves the alien world to find creatures escaping from the other dimensions, forcing him to become the vigilante once again and help save people, only this time he is the "Crimson Fist". An immortal demon who has been alive for 1000 years and wants to restore the demons to their original position as the rulers of the Earth, arrives, intent on finding an object that can hold all of the magic on the Earth and using it to rule over everyone. In the mid-season finale, I'd have the demon gain the object and use it to kill everyone, although Dean goes back in time - this would start a plot line for the rest of the show where it turns out that his ship is the key to the Eternity Clock (which can be used to manipulate all of time and space) which is why the aliens want it, and by going back in time, Dean is fracturing time and has to go there to fix it. In flashbacks, we see that Dean's ship has ended up on an alien intergalactic prison where he meets a demon who ends up being the one he is hunting in the present day. I'd kind of make it more of an Arrow season 2 where the flashbacks build up a friendship between them, only for it to flip in the mid-season finale as the demon arrives and well, in both present day and flashbacks, the Crimson Fist has to fight the demon who he once considered a friend and is now killing everyone he loves.

Last edited:
But there are already movies where the bad guy wins.
Sure there are but most of the time
a) The villain turns (out) good
b) It's all supposed to be funny
c) It's a really terrible film
and it's a film and not a TV-series. Series often get to more depth. :)

Sure there are but most of the time
a) The villain turns (out) good
b) It's all supposed to be funny
c) It's a really terrible film
and it's a film and not a TV-series. Series often get to more depth. :)
Wait wait waaiiiit. You mean you want the villain to win being outright evil? :eek: And for it to not be comic either? :panda:

I root for the villains as well.. mostly. Villains are usually cooler, funnier, darker, all that stuff. The hero is usually just a righteous geek who somehow foils the diabolical scheme (this part is taken almost word-for-word from H.I.V.E, one of my favourite book series and one in which villains are the protagonists, so I think you'd enjoy it - although it's mostly villains-vs-more-villains and the end result is almost always for the greater good) which, logically, he doesn't have the resources to.

Inside though, I want it to end up being a win for the good side - the villain can turn out to be good in the end, or something like that. It's because I read stuff about a little film called Chaos, a Last House on the Left rip-off, in which the villain does win and boy, it is horrifying. Perhaps leather-jacketed super-cool villains winning doesn't give the same impression as the barbaric filthy guy in Chaos, but it still boils down to a win for the bad side. Roger Ebert summed it up pretty well in a letter to the filmmaker:

In a time of dismay and dread, is it admirable for filmmakers to depict pure evil? Have 9/11, suicide bombers, serial killers and kidnappings created a world in which the response of the artist must be nihilistic and hopeless? At the end of your film, after the other characters have been killed in sadistic and gruesome ways, the only survivor is the one who is evil incarnate, and we hear his cold laughter under a screen that has gone dark. Your answer, that the world is evil and therefore it is your responsibility to reflect it, is no answer at all, but a surrender.

So yeah. I think a film should always end in positivity, or there's no point in it. Why suspend our disbelief to see that the bad side wins when it's happening all the time in the real world? Movies are supposed to be little escapes after all. I thought you meant the villain would turn out to be working for the greater good in your first post here, because ... evil winning in the end is a bad idea to me. The villain may be really cool and likeable, but he has to get what-for for being a villain >.<)/

Wait wait waaiiiit. You mean you want the villain to win being outright evil? :eek: And for it to not be comic either? :panda:

I root for the villains as well.. mostly. Villains are usually cooler, funnier, darker, all that stuff. The hero is usually just a righteous geek who somehow foils the diabolical scheme (this part is taken almost word-for-word from H.I.V.E, one of my favourite book series and one in which villains are the protagonists, so I think you'd enjoy it - although it's mostly villains-vs-more-villains and the end result is almost always for the greater good) which, logically, he doesn't have the resources to.

Inside though, I want it to end up being a win for the good side - the villain can turn out to be good in the end, or something like that. It's because I read stuff about a little film called Chaos, a Last House on the Left rip-off, in which the villain does win and boy, it is horrifying. Perhaps leather-jacketed super-cool villains winning doesn't give the same impression as the barbaric filthy guy in Chaos, but it still boils down to a win for the bad side. Roger Ebert summed it up pretty well in a letter to the filmmaker:

So yeah. I think a film should always end in positivity, or there's no point in it. Why suspend our disbelief to see that the bad side wins when it's happening all the time in the real world? Movies are supposed to be little escapes after all. I thought you meant the villain would turn out to be working for the greater good in your first post here, because ... evil winning in the end is a bad idea to me. The villain may be really cool and likeable, but he has to get what-for for being a villain >.<)/
You got all serious! :eek: Well then, me too. :sneaky: It might be a 'win for the greater good' but what I hate is the villain deciding he likes rainbows and puppies over his own schemes. We've got enough of those. (I like Despicable Me but I expected a bit more villain there :p) I like anti-heroes too (which seems what your books describes) but that's not what I meant. As soon as the villain becomes a warrior for a 'good' cause it's not a villain any more.
I'm also fine with a villain with humour (in fact I prefer those) but not with pathetic villains that are made fun of all the time. That compromises the story. That's fun for kids TV-series, not for a good movie.

I still stand with evil winning. Just for once. Something that leaves you with a bit of eerie feeling. It doesn't have to be oh-no-the-world-is-for-ever-doomed-and-plunged-in-darkness-evil but rather the darker side of the grey spectrum that wins.

How's mine?

Okay, I got this idea but it really is a draft. I literally woke up with this idea in the middle of the night so I wrote it down. I mainly love the title. :D It would be a slightly futuristic disaster film. It consist of two relatively simple plotlines that are cut together. As the film goes on they intertwine and the viewer finds out what happened.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Sky full of Angels

(1)
3 March 2039- Air planes take off. (Some details about the planes here :p)
At 16.09 CET the first oddities are spotted. More and more planes veer of course and switch of their communications.
The planes now aimlessly flying in circles…
17.18 CET the first plane runs out of fuel and crashes down in a lake in England. The second plane disastrously lands on a small town- but it is only the beginning.

(2)
About a year before the events of (1) a boy makes virus with the capacity to override quantum computers, which he names after his crush; 'Angel'. The virus was meant as a show of, but gets into wrong hands.

Background: 2039; Most of the planes are now automated airplanes, flown by quantum computers which easily have the capacity to do so. The pilots nowadays are only for emergencies and to make the passengers feel a bit more comfortable. The virus 'infects' the planes when a mandatory software update is installed. The Angel virus sets them to ignore all overrides from pilots and fly until there is no more fuel, and causes communication systems to fail as well. (Actually they just keep repeating the same orders in auto-pilot over one circuit, but since that means flying they are stuck in flight-mode and deactivate any landing programs.) The virus is timed as a sleeper-cell and only gets active after a few weeks. Since the updates happens everywhere roughly on the same date the planes start 'misbehaving' roughly at the same time too.

We slowly discover what is happening. There would be NO views within the airplanes so we do not know for sure what is going on at the start of the film. As stated 1 and 2 would be mixed, fragments of each spliced together into one storyline. The story ends as we see the last 'Angel' start its plunge.

Idea: (Maybe people trying phone calls to their beloved, but with different stories so we don't know what is true?)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So tell me what you think, help write some plotlines, deepen the character of the boy and give a reason why anyone would want all planes to fall out of the sky. :D

Back