Typing Speed , how possible is 80-90 words per minute ?

• Thread starter Furyofthestorm78
  • Start date
Furyofthestorm78

Furyofthestorm78

The Hero in Green
Towns Folk
I am looking into trying a different job, so I thought, I can type quite accurately, so I could do some kind of data entry. Most of the jobs require 50+ words per minute. After running a few tests, my average is 30 wpm. I realise speed comes with practice, but 90 words a minute seems insanely fast, do people who can type that fast actually get 100% accuracy or is there a lot of going back over and spell/ punctuation checking ?

Some people who are really good can go that fast without (or hardly ever making mistakes). Some courtroom stenographers can do it nonstop for hours without mistakes. I can't do that for sure but some people can.

I can type pretty quickly but I haven't tested to see how many a minute I can do. Its hard to do, and I make mistakes occassionally.

80-90 wpm is fairly attainable. I was able to get up to 100 words per minute when I took a typing course. That's just an average, without a lot of mistakes. I'm not as fast today as I was then, but like you said, practice makes perfect.
If you're going to be working with spreadsheets, I'd suggest learning to use a numpad as well. If you get good at that, you can easily type numbers INFINITELY faster than on a standard keyboard.

I've seen people who were insanely fast at typing. Some even don't stare at the screen!

I think to type that fast it just requires faster reflexes than most others. I can type about 60 wpm with about 2 mistakes pretty easily. But I don't think I could break 80. I mean, 50+ WPM is already pretty fast for typing so that should get you the job. And also 80 WPM might still need to think about what they're typing beforehand, which takes more time.

I did a typing test the other day and I got about 90 words a minute with only 2 mistakes. Pretty good :thumbsup:

Back