Moon/Sun Unpopular Opinion: I really don't like Pokemon Moon

• Thread starter Farhaan Raja
  • Start date
Farhaan Raja

Farhaan Raja

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
I got Pokemon Moon rather cheaply as an impulse buy, about six months after its release. I started playing and I picked the Litten as my starter. But I'm really bored now.

1) This reason is my fault; I mainly play videogames in the evening, and I found out that Pokemon Sun's day/night cycle works in real time. Unfortunately, I got pokemon moon, and so night in real life = bright af day ingame, and i really love videogame worlds during nightime (e.g. Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask, Dunes in mh4u etc).
2) The story is really boring;
"Oh, go and do the island challenges! Also, this annoying kid needs to follow you around and this girl who has some weird pokemon that must be kept secret for some reason! Also, these annoying kids from Team Skull keep following you!"
It's just really annoying. I'm on route three now (i beat the giant Rattata) and I'm not excited for anything thats to come.

3) The turn based system is incredibly boring. Not only do you get random encounters from low-level pokemon (yes i know there is a potion that prevents this). But it just feels boring.
Litten attacks! 10 damage!
Rowlet growls! Litten's defence fell
Rowlet growls! Littens defence fell
Rowlet fainted
It's not even like I don't like turn-based systems; I beat Mario and Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story with all my characters at lvl 40 and got so good that I could beat Dark Bowser without taking damage, and I loved Paper Jam. It probably didn't help that I was also playing Monster Hunter 4U, a game that is very fast paced.

4) technical issues, framerate drops when there's 2+ pokemon fighting.

Any tips? Maybe I'm missing something.

I got Pokemon Moon rather cheaply as an impulse buy, about six months after its release. I started playing and I picked the Litten as my starter. But I'm really bored now.

1) This reason is my fault; I mainly play videogames in the evening, and I found out that Pokemon Sun's day/night cycle works in real time. Unfortunately, I got pokemon moon, and so night in real life = bright af day ingame, and i really love videogame worlds during nightime (e.g. Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask, Dunes in mh4u etc).
"Oh, go and do the island challenges! Also, this annoying kid needs to follow you around and this girl who has some weird pokemon that must be kept secret for some reason! Also, these annoying kids from Team Skull keep following you!"
It's just really annoying. I'm on route three now (i beat the giant Rattata) and I'm not excited for anything thats to come.

3) The turn based system is incredibly boring. Not only do you get random encounters from low-level pokemon (yes i know there is a potion that prevents this). But it just feels boring.
Rowlet fainted
It's not even like I don't like turn-based systems; I beat Mario and Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story with all my characters at lvl 40 and got so good that I could beat Dark Bowser without taking damage, and I loved Paper Jam. It probably didn't help that I was also playing Monster Hunter 4U, a game that is very fast paced.

I don’t play Pokémon for the story and most people honestly don’t. Many people play Pokémon for these 2 reasons:

1: Shiny Hunt
I don’t play this way because grinding for a Pokémon that is a different color isn’t my cup of tea but many do enjoy it and like to trade them off for other shinies. You play Monster Hunter so I guess you might like this approach.

2: Compettive play
This is the way I prefer to play Pokémon games. Although it does take time and reasearch on how to play the game compettivley and learn mechanics that the game doesn’t tell you (which is dumb), but if you do, you’ll have a lot of fun whooping people. :)

A game is supposed to be fun and If Pokémon isn’t for you, just don’t play it, but if these other ways of playing the game interest you, try them and see if you like them.

Reactions: Duffy
A game is supposed to be fun and If Pokémon isn’t for you, just don’t play it, but if these other ways of playing the game interest you, try them and see if you like them.

I know that, but I really want to like it. I've decided to play further and see where everything goes. My Litten has already evolved into Torrocat, and my other pokemon (sludgeface, jack spearrow, magneto and co) are doing smoothly.

Is this your first time playing a pokemon game? A lot of your complaints do seem like they are not just problems in moon, but with the series.

Rowlet fainted

The early game doesn't have great combat. Until you get later in the game you mostly just mash a and use the attacks and not status moves. A lot of the technical problems are fixed on new 3ds. Or at least, I have no problems on my new 3ds.

Reactions: coolflare, Farhaan Raja and Pandaxclone2
Yeah, it seems like these are (valid) complaints about Pokemon as a series more than Moon itself. The framerate dipping I agree is aggravating, and the whole SOS mechanic is not fun, but I love the feel of the game. It really feels like you're in this laidback Hawaii area. Plus it smoothened so many of the processes of past games

Reactions: Farhaan Raja and Pandaxclone2
Plus it smoothened so many of the processes of past games

Yeah, that's what convinced me to get Moon over OmegaRuby/Alpha Sapphire and X/Y

Is this your first time playing a pokemon game? A lot of your complaints do seem like they are not just problems in moon, but with the series.

The early game doesn't have great combat. Until you get later in the game you mostly just mash a and use the attacks and not status moves. A lot of the technical problems are fixed on new 3ds. Or at least, I have no problems on my new 3ds.

Yeah, it's my first.
It's a shame I didn't get a new 3ds when I had the chance. I would've liked to play xenoblade and the An virtual console, plus MH4U at 60fps... but oh well.

With videogames, the golden rule is always "go big or go home"

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see how this could considered an unpopular opinion lol. Really, my main gripe with SM was the massive Kanto pandering. For a 20th Anniversary game, there were so many Kanto references I felt sorry for people who started with the later gens. The regional dex was bad too - it's chock full of Kanto mons while the other regions barely get any representation, including Alola. I'm sorry your first experience with Pokemon was a bad one, OP.

Reactions: Duffy
I don't see how this could considered an unpopular opinion lol. Really, my main gripe with SM was the massive Kanto pandering. For a 20th Anniversary game, there were so many Kanto references I felt sorry for people who started with the later gens. The regional dex was bad too - it's chock full of Kanto mons while the other regions barely get any representation, including Alola. I'm sorry your first experience with Pokemon was a bad one, OP.

Actually, maybe I wrote it off too quickly.
I'm actually kinda liking it now (except for two of the pokemon on my team ('Chub n' Tuck' the Makuhita for being useless in almost every fight and that ladybird pokemon who I never use)

But yeah, I am kinda liking it now, and i almost got destroyed by the first island Kahuna. Maybe it's because i got sick of Monster Hunter 4.

Back