Using an european Switch with an US 3DS

• Thread starter J9794
  • Start date
J9794

J9794

But you can call me Jay Nine Seven Nine Four
Towns Folk
Hi!,
I was thinking about buying a Nintendo Switch, and since it's really expensive in my country and Amazon US doesn't work with it, I'm probably gonna purchase it and get it shipped from Amazon EU.
The thing is, I also have a 3DS that I purchased in the US, and I was wondering if there would be any problem with having an european Switch and a US 3ds, or with having an european Switch in a non-european region at all.
Also, I guess i'd have to get all the games either from the eshop or also get them shipped, but I can live with that.

Having an American Nintendo 3DS Nintendo ID and having a European switch should be no problem. People have linked European and Japanese Nintendo ID accounts to American switches with no problem at all. Also since the switch is region free you should be ok with running North American games on the European switch so you're fine.

Reactions: J9794
Having an American Nintendo 3DS Nintendo ID and having a European switch should be no problem. People have linked European and Japanese Nintendo ID accounts to American switches with no problem at all. Also since the switch is region free you should be ok with running North American games on the European switch so you're fine.

Thanks!, and really? US games can be played on european Switchs and viceversa? I had no Idea :O

Thanks!, and really? US games can be played on european Switchs and viceversa? I had no Idea :O
It was stated in the direct that the Nintendo switch is region free.

It was stated in the direct that the Nintendo switch is region free.
If games were purchased from the eShop, I think you have to switch between NA and EU profiles to play the games.

Reactions: Eric Cartman
You can download the game from eShop from either account (can be from any region, but I think that if a game only gets a release in, say, Japan, and the only language of the game is Japanese, then it'll be in Japanese. If the game has a few languages available, and one of them is the language of the Switch, then it'll choose the language of the Switch). When the game is downloaded, you can choose which account do you want to play with (You can download a game from an American account and play it with a European user).

Reactions: Marc
You can download a game from an American account and play it with a European user.
Ah, right. It's just a split between the saves for users.

Ah, right. It's just a split between the saves for users.
Exactly.

Thanks everybody for the info! :D

Oh, so I can have several accounts on the nintendo switch? (mah ignorance is too damn high)

Thanks everybody for the info! :D

Oh, so I can have several accounts on the nintendo switch? (mah ignorance is too damn high)

Yes, you can have many different accounts at once on a single switch system. Each account will have its own save files, but each account can play any game that has been downloaded from any account. Currently I have a Japanese account so I can download some of the Japanese only demo's. Sure some are not in English, but I still can figure them out
Also, another cool thing Nintendo did with the switch that is different then previous systems, is all games are linked to your account and not the system (like sony), so if for some reason your switch breaks or gets stolen etc, you can just log into another switch with your account and download your games right away without needing to do a system transfer or calling Nintendo, which is a positive thing imo

Reactions: J9794
Back