Vanquishing your friends.

• Thread starter Dexter
  • Start date
Dexter

Dexter

EliteBeatDiva needs a spanking
Towns Folk
SPOILER ALTER - Minor and Major plot details of numerous games - Continue at your own risk!

--------
-------
-----
---
-

Have you ever found yourself taking a liking to a character in a video game, be they good, evil or something in between, and then be forced to vanquish them? If so, did you feel bad about it? I mean, I know they're just games, but I really get into the characters and take a strong liking to some of them myself, so I thought I'd post here and see who else feels like that. :eek:

--- Demyx -- Kingdom Hearts 2 ---

I took a strong liking to this guy through the Kingdom Hearts series, he was clearly not too interested in his job, and he didn't want to do any of the things Xemnas was forcing him to do. After the scenes with Hercules, I could only see him as a guy who'd made one too many mistakes, and clearly wasn't fit to be a member of the organization. So when I returned to Traverse Town and found myself in a confrontation with Demyx himself, I was a little disappointed. I knew the time was going to come eventually, but I really didn't want to have to put an end to him, and I won't lie, it made me a little sad inside, especially during his dying scene.

--- Gabranth -- Final Fantay 12 ---

I know he was working against the party, being Basch's brother and setting him up for a crime that turned him into the most hated man in the country, plus keeping him in a cage in a dingy prison for years on end. This along with his loyalty to Vayne was enough to cement him as one of the biggest villains in the game, but still, something about him, about the path he'd taken, the regret he felt, but still keeping loyal to Vayne, I just couldn't have felt worse facing him if I'd tried.

--- Alternis Dim -- Bravely Default ---

Again, a loyal knight, serving the templar that rules over the land, Alternis is one of the main villains of the game, but he's also a caring, somewhat Loyal friend to one of the heroes, Edea. Although he doesn't understand her betrayal, and for the longest time, neither of the two know what is really going on, he can not bring himself to put an end to Edea, although he had more than one opportunity to do so. Throughout the story, their relationship is made clear, two children who grew up together fighting for the Duchy of Eternia, it's hardly a surprise he couldn't bring himself to kill her.... But once Alternis finally learns the truth, he decides he has no other choice, and the confrontation between him and the heroes takes place. The part that saddens me here is that after having no choice but to vanquish him, the party simply watches as he falls off the side of the boat, making no attempt to rescue him. It becomes an even worse encounter when you know the truth behind the story, that Alternis , and all of the other members of the duchy were the true heroes of the game. I could go into much more detail with all of the characters in this game, because honestly, other than a select few, I felt sorry for vanquishing almost all of the Asteriks' holders.

Well, that's all I can really think of at the moment, other than all the times I had to pick Betray against characters I liked in Virtue's Last Reward... So how about you guys? Any enemies that you felt really bad vanquishing?

Reactions: Reece
This thread kinda reminded me of Devil Survivor on the NDS. There were several occasions where you had to choose between two allies fighting each other.

The first one I remember was Keisuke vs Kaido. Both started out as your allies until Keisuke started getting drunk on his power and decided to use it to punish those he thought deserved it. Some of these happened to be Kaido's friends and these two fighting was unavoidable. In this fight you could either kill Kaido, kill Keisuke, or kill both of them.

Another one was Honda, also in the same guy. He wanted to leave the lockdown, but him doing so would have resulted in the world being destroyed. Which means that we had to kill him stop him. What made this sad is that he only wanted to leaved to be at the side of his son who was undergoing a life-threatening surgery.
In a different path, his didn't try to escape, but later on found out that his son died in the surgery and started using his demons to destroy everything.

Reactions: Marc
i don't quite understand

Back