Viruses, Malware, Spyware, Trojans...

• Thread starter milesose
  • Start date
M

milesose

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
As you may be aware, computer viruses are going wild with the frequent use of the Internet! These little devils are made for either 'find, use, kill and destroy' or 'take hostage' actions. The people who made them usually become rich with the use of their inter-weball nano bots.

Well, what kinds are there?
The most widely used are:
  • Spam Viruses - Spam emails and ads for income
  • Warez Viruses - Illegally sell software. Almost extinct after 2009.
  • Trojan Viruses - Take full control of your device. Biggest user downloaded pandemic on Google Play App store. Over 9.5 million downloads of the Trojan virus!
  • Botnet Virus - Infest your device and stay passive. Can act as Trojan virus. Usually used for wide attacks
  • Ransomeware Viruses - Take hostage of your computer (encrypt your HDD usually) and ask for money. WARNING: newest hostage virus called CryptoLocker Only targets MS Windows.
  • Spyware- "Spyware is software that aids in gathering information about a person or organization without their knowledge and that may send such information to another entity without the consumer's consent, or that asserts control over a computer without the consumer's knowledge" FTC Report 2005
What is this thread about/for?
It is for the sole purpose of warning people of new viruses, so they can be sure to be safe while browsing!

Those suck, I learned that mostly Google Chrome is prone to have no security and that the most viruses are flown in by this particular browser, my mom uninstalled it on our computer because it was slowly everything down and it had most of the listed above.

Nice thread, I didn't know about a couple of them.

My sister downloaded a trojan virus on her laptop a year or two ago. Sigh.

I usually hate viruses when they enter my computer but usually my antivirus takes care of that . I have never really seen the full potential of viruses but I can say that they are very harmful . I really hate spam though , especially when it comes to e-mail spam >.<

I once had a virus that took over my webcam (nothing bad happened though) then claimed to be the French police; long story short, I had to reset to factory settings. Ugh. So now I tape my cam and scan more often. It appear to come from a certain type of USB sticks, they were sold while infected (the seller was quite a big company so they fixed it soon but seriously? How did that even happen?!)

Back