Gen 4 Voice Detecting thingy?

• Thread starter 3905
  • Start date

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
So I was playing Soulsilver, and I'm trying really hard to get this Eevee to evolve into Espeon. It's currently Level 30 and still isn't evolving, and I did everything I could to make it happy: Not letting it faint, Soothe Bell, and Haircuts. Then my friend came up to me and told me that in Gen 4 games they implemented a Voice Detecting software which picks up what you would say to your Pokemon in battle, and in turn cause it's Happiness to change. I usually am quiet when I'm playing, but in the background where I play you tend to hear a lot of, uh, inappropriate things... yea. So I think that if the Voice detection thing is real, then I need to cover my mic or something when I play. Oh well, if it gets worse I'll just Thunderstone Eevee into Jolteon :p

I highly doubt that there is a voice detecting mechanic in Soul Silver. I've never heard anything like that in all my years of playing. Also, if that was a feature that was possible, don't you think that Nintendo/Game Freak would make it a big deal about and make it well known? I honestly think it would be weird to think of people talking to their systems like they're talking to their pokemon. Another thing to think about it localization. Think about how many languages that the game would have to comprehend for voice detection. I think that the voice detection is just a rumor spread around by some creep who talks to his DS all day.
Other than that, keep trying to evolve your Eevee, remember the time of day matters. I think it evolves into Espeon during the day. Just keep raising that happiness, put it at the front of your party, and talk to it while it follows you, eventually it will evolve when you level up in the day time!

I'm pretty sure the voice detecting mechanic your friend is talking about is Chatot's gimmick attack which used the microphone feature at the time. That's the only thing I can think of that would use voice functions in Soul Silver and even then it wasn't like it detected what the voice was saying, just recorded it.

Perhaps your friend's talking about the Pokemon Amie in XYORAS? I know that sounds like a bit of a stretch but information between generations can conflict sometimes, especially if your friend doesn't know any better.

And as Levi stated, it's important at what time of the day your Eevee hits max happiness. If it's day or morning then you get an Espeon, else it's an Umbreon.

Last edited:
What? That sounds awesome, maybe your friend should work for Nintendo. I've been playing Pokemon for many a year and there's not yet a feature to let you call out attacks for Pokemon. The only use the microphone had in gen 4 was for one of chatot's attacks (I believe they got rid of this in gen 5 unless im mistaken

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
I don't think Pokémon has interpreted that yet for all Pokémon aside Chatot, only game that I know that requires your voice to play is Nintendogs and they would react to the tone.

Try giving Eevee drinks and sweets and walk with it out of the Pokéball. You can also take it in the Pokéwalker if you have it.

I got the Espeon guys, turned out it just needed a few more haircuts lol @-@

I still don't know, I feel the voice detecting thingy is just a hoax or something, but oh well

876432NintendoDS.png

On all Nintendo DS there is a mic, but it's as Panda said N. The only feature that the mic was ever been used for in 4th Gen Pokemon was controlling Chatot's signature move, Chatter, it never had an effect on friendship.​

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
Back