Ultimate Want to try out Rosalina but need some tips...

• Thread starter Kadaj
  • Start date
Kadaj

Kadaj

The Masochistic Hardcore Player XP
Towns Folk
so i played around a bit with rosalina just because shes my favorite mario character besides bowser and dry bowser (i hope we see him in the DLC, hes very cool...) and her nuetral special seems very basic, i dont think i need to go over smash attacks for her because it seems obvious that for her these do more damage if the luma is close to her but im having trouble with a couple moves she can use... i dont know what the down B is supposed to do except when theres items on the map (this is not always going to be the case though), and side B feels a little... weird. anyone here know how to make at least decent use of these two moves?

so i played around a bit with rosalina just because shes my favorite mario character besides bowser and dry bowser (i hope we see him in the DLC, hes very cool...) and her nuetral special seems very basic, i dont think i need to go over smash attacks for her because it seems obvious that for her these do more damage if the luma is close to her but im having trouble with a couple moves she can use... i dont know what the down B is supposed to do except when theres items on the map (this is not always going to be the case though), and side B feels a little... weird. anyone here know how to make at least decent use of these two moves?
To play Rosalina and Luma, you have to be aware that Luma is also there. You need to work with Luma and adjust your spacing. With Rosalina and Luma, you also have tools to juggle your opponent. Rosalina's Aerials are great, and you should use them often. As for land attacks, Up Smash, Down Smash, and Neutral Attack has the most use out of Rosalina's land moveset. If you need quick attacks to pull out, the tilt attacks are pretty decent and work better with Luma rather than Rosalina I think. Rosalina is very floaty, even when fastfalling, so watch out. As for specials, Neutral Special is the one you'll be using the most, as it separates Rosalina and Luma, which can set up attacks and combos. Side Special is a useful spacing tool, where Luma shoots out Star Bits. What's so great about this is that they can't be reflected or absorbed (I did a bit of research and it turns out, they're disjointed hit boxes!) It is kinda slow and leaves Rosalina in a very vulnerable state, so only use it for spacing. Down Special, like you said, can attract items towards Rosalina
What you didn't mention, is that it can attract projectiles too. If you use Down Special correctly against projectiles like Fox's Laser Gun or Samus's Missiles, you cannot get hit by these, giving you an opportunity to attack. It's also quick, which means you should practice avoiding projectiles with this move. Rosalina and Luma are largely defensive, where Luma protects Rosalina and Rosalina protects Luma. Kinda like the Ice Climbers, but if Nana actually tries to help you. There's a lot of risk involved in playing Rosalina, as she's only good against characters like Isabelle, Villager, or Wii Fit Trainer. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't keep trying!

Reactions: Kadaj
To play Rosalina and Luma, you have to be aware that Luma is also there. You need to work with Luma and adjust your spacing. With Rosalina and Luma, you also have tools to juggle your opponent. Rosalina's Aerials are great, and you should use them often. As for land attacks, Up Smash, Down Smash, and Neutral Attack has the most use out of Rosalina's land moveset. If you need quick attacks to pull out, the tilt attacks are pretty decent and work better with Luma rather than Rosalina I think. Rosalina is very floaty, even when fastfalling, so watch out. As for specials, Neutral Special is the one you'll be using the most, as it separates Rosalina and Luma, which can set up attacks and combos. Side Special is a useful spacing tool, where Luma shoots out Star Bits. What's so great about this is that they can't be reflected or absorbed (I did a bit of research and it turns out, they're disjointed hit boxes!) It is kinda slow and leaves Rosalina in a very vulnerable state, so only use it for spacing. Down Special, like you said, can attract items towards Rosalina
What you didn't mention, is that it can attract projectiles too. If you use Down Special correctly against projectiles like Fox's Laser Gun or Samus's Missiles, you cannot get hit by these, giving you an opportunity to attack. It's also quick, which means you should practice avoiding projectiles with this move. Rosalina and Luma are largely defensive, where Luma protects Rosalina and Rosalina protects Luma. Kinda like the Ice Climbers, but if Nana actually tries to help you. There's a lot of risk involved in playing Rosalina, as she's only good against characters like Isabelle, Villager, or Wii Fit Trainer. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't keep trying!
that does sound pretty fun actually, yeah shes easily open to getting hit with all of this but it sounds fun to play around with still. i did not know her down special could block projectiles though, thought it only kept items away from an enemy lol. sounds like it might be about keeping them away as well which i did with zelda before (i love zelda in ultimate, her new look is nice and so are her adjusted specials) except with zelda shes not as easily wide open when mistakes are made (we can move after using down B now without holding the button) other than her up special as far as i know. missing that can make bad things happen =P i might try out rosalina though since you told me how her other specials work, i knew how to use her neutral but did not understand the other two (side and down). her air attacks seem to do a lot of damage... it seems like they were buffed in ultimate even with the animations seeming the same, maybe to make up for being very floaty (might be wrong but they seem stronger)

Reactions: Sunny_Meows
Rosa was really good in Smash 4. In my eyes now she's a glass cannon. I think good Rosa players have to depend on playing safe and mixing up your neutral. Things like dash attack, Side B, Luma with Back air, Up and Down air as well but I recommend Down for high percent kills and the other just for juggling and keeping leads. I also recommend you practicing her recovery from different angles and knowing the farthest you can be from the stage in order to recover back. As far as I know I rarely think to use Down special but only if I'm facing Ness/Lucas I think it really matters.

Back