Weapons

• Thread starter nicklesimba
  • Start date
nicklesimba

nicklesimba

New Kid from Dreamland
Towns Folk
Now that school started, I only get to play MH on my bus ride. So a friend of mine was telling me that SnS is good to solo the game for a newbie like me...but I couldn't help but notice the bagpipes. :D Are they any good because they look really powerful (and there's some sort of music system?). My friend only played MH3 on Wii so I'm guessing bagpipes are new? Also before you reply to this, I don't like the great sword at all. It's far too slow for me. But somehow I managed to kill a Great Jaggi without taking any damage on my first use of the bagpipes... Is that just because the great Jaggi is easy? I mean the only monster I'm having trouble with rn is the Royal Ludroth (dang trapping missions) so idk. Everything else, I can dodge and fight with SnS.

Bagpipe is great for multiplayer, since it has buff support, depending on how you use it. But on solo, I prefer use attacking weapon (I usually use Dual Blade); to buff I ask Felyne to cook certain food before taking quests.

Reactions: nicklesimba
Well, otherwise, use the Long Sword (=/= Great Sword) when you can make one. They are a bit slow, but, really, you hit harder than with the SnS. Also, you can get a buff if you fill the gauge (under your Stamina gauge) that will raise your attack a bit.

Personally, I also used SnS for a while (both in MH3 and MHP3rd), but when I found out about the Long Sword, I stopped using it completely. Bagpipes as @dwikrid said are good too if you plan to play with other players, but it's slow when you need to attack. It's more oriented towards buffs.

PS: I assume that you're playing MH3G/3U, so, unlike MH3, long swords can be made from the beginning I think. (Didn't touched the game, so, I can't say, but in MHP 3rd, you can, so, assumptions.)

And finally, if you still can't decide, there's this wiki. It should help you decide which weapon suits you the best.

I love Dual Blades because of its effect... Not the Demon mode, but you can add effect (e.g. Electricity to paralyze, so, like bow/bowgun ammunition) while attacking. And it's really fast because Dual Blade is, of course, light.

Well, otherwise, use the Long Sword (=/= Great Sword) when you can make one. They are a bit slow, but, really, you hit harder than with the SnS. Also, you can get a buff if you fill the gauge (under your Stamina gauge) that will raise your attack a bit.

Personally, I also used SnS for a while (both in MH3 and MHP3rd), but when I found out about the Long Sword, I stopped using it completely. Bagpipes as @dwikrid said are good too if you plan to play with other players, but it's slow when you need to attack. It's more oriented towards buffs.

PS: I assume that you're playing MH3G/3U, so, unlike MH3, long swords can be made from the beginning I think. (Didn't touched the game, so, I can't say, but in MHP 3rd, you can, so, assumptions.)

And finally, if you still can't decide, there's this wiki. It should help you decide which weapon suits you the best.
I'll definitely look at the Wiki...I used it a bit when I first got the game last December (only 17 hrs playtime though lol).

I played monster hunter 3 on my wii system and I can tell you that the weapon I loved most was the maze or the hammer as you like it. I like it because of its strength and power, besides you can also add some element power like thunder or water. But on Monster hunter 3 ultimate, I tried using some other weapons (in this game the amount of weapons was increased to have a huge variety to choose from) and the one I loved was the gun-spear (I don't really know if this is the actuall name). Using this weapon you can cover yourself with a shield while you hold a long spear that can shoot monsters from a short distance and if you had the chance to make a combo, the damage would be higher. REally cool weapon.

Bagpipes aren't nw though(in mh3u)

I really loved the Dual Blades because they were just simply devastating in many circumstances . I loved the demon mode and it was just so satisfying just slashing up the monster in a wide series of strikes >.< It does so much damages in my opinion and other than that , the Long sword is very cool too :3

personally, i think the easiest weapon for beginners to use is the SnS, like your friend said. it's a simple and quick weapon that can block attacks and lets you use items with it out. later you might want to try some of the other weapons, so i would recommend either the dual blades for quick attacks that are perfect for putting statuses on monsters, or the great sword for sheer power over your enemies. when it comes to multiplayer, you might want to try using the hunting horn to do large damage while supporting your teammates, or bows and bowguns to use many types of attacks (elements, statuses, and raw damage) and take out monsters from afar. however, i would only use these if nobody else with you is using these weapons. if someone is already using one of these, then just use whichever weapon you want to use on the monster.

I am really fond of the insect glaive. Although it can be tricky to learn, it has good damage and hits fast. Plus, it's fun to pole vault through the sky like a ninja. I also recommend the switch axe; again, it takes a while to learn to use some of the combos, and it isn't exactly the fastest of weapons, it hits quite hard. Long sword is also very good, but I found many of the attacks left me too open to monster retaliation. Even when using the fade slash, I would often just end up in some other attack. Dual blades are great; when I first started and hit a wall against the Shagaru Magala? Switched to DB, didn't cart even once. Can't land a solid great sword hit on that Stygian Zinogre? Switch to DB, and wrecked it. However, I just don't find them very fun to play. But really it depends on what kind of play style you like. Gotta go fast? Insect glaive. Gotta go fast AND only care about 100%ing the game? Dual blades. Don't care for speed and like hitting hard? Long sword or switch axe.

Back