Spin Off Western cave and silver trench nerfed in pmd1 switch remake... bad move?

• Thread starter Kadaj
  • Start date
Kadaj

Kadaj

The Masochistic Hardcore Player XP
Towns Folk
ive come across a couple very unexpected and shocking things in pmd rescue team dx concerning 2 of some of the most difficult post game dungeons that were in the original red and blue rescue team. silver trench, if you played the original versions had 99 floors and several random one room monster houses that pretty much made an attack everything move mandatory. if you took too many turns youd end up completely surrounded and more than likely die, or if your full room attack did too little damage (somehow) then the same thing could happen but less likely to. and western cave might have been worse as there seemed to be an extremely high spawning rate of monster houses. not to mention both dungeons had a notorious plethora of traps everywhere. i actually loved doing these on the ds blue rescue team but dont get me wrong, western cave was a bit of a burnout with rescuing friends who fainted haha... especially more than twice =')

in the remake silver trench still has 99 floors but it seems like the one room floor monster houses were removed completely... and western cave has the most major nerf now only having 20 floors and the usual bosses at the end of both but a bit stronger this time. making the bosses stronger is reasonable since almost every boss in the original could be defeated in as little as two attacks (some not requiring move usage). but a big -70 on western cave? im not really sure what to say to that... even with stronger random pokemon 20 floors is not really long enough for a very late post game area (one of the last ones that appears in the post game. i havent unlocked it yet but ive seen others do it expecting it to be just as hard as it originally was and looked it up for future strategy ideas expecting it to be 99 floors but it isnt now). im going to guess it was done because they decided it was too extreme (but purity forest wasnt? your logic gamefreak...) or tedious. but almost every post game dungeon honestly fell into that sentence so why western cave was singled out here i probably will never know.

Your thoughts on this? im kinda disappointed about the -70 floors... i think 60 or 70 wouldve been better since this is one of the final post game dungeons. 20 is just too little that far into the game...

Seems like a poor move by the devs. Late game content needs to last a lot longer than that, which is likely why the post game dungeons were originally so hard, and making the dungeons much easier leaves less to do after finishing up the main game. Your point about Western Cave being one of the last post game dungeons doesn't help their stance either, as players likely have completed the "hardest" challenge available to them before tackling Western Cave, making it (possibly) a bit underwhelming.

Reactions: Kadaj
Seems like a poor move by the devs. Late game content needs to last a lot longer than that, which is likely why the post game dungeons were originally so hard, and making the dungeons much easier leaves less to do after finishing up the main game. Your point about Western Cave being one of the last post game dungeons doesn't help their stance either, as players likely have completed the "hardest" challenge available to them before tackling Western Cave, making it (possibly) a bit underwhelming.
i think they shouldve given us 70 floors or at least 50. this far into post game we arent supposed to have a baby 20 floor dungeon that isnt hard at all and just the random pokemon being strong, i think silver trench ends up passing western cave in difficulty this time around even with the one room monster houses being absent. at least it has 99 floors still, at any rate. i could deal with 50-70 floors but 20 is probably just too little. i think meteor cave ends up being harder (and definitely much more annoying imo) than western cave as well, so many phantom deoxys thar are move leeches and if you dont bring goggle specs well youre probably gonna get screwed by traps that destroy your moves instantly as fighting every transparent deoxys reduces PP very quickly. unfortunately, unlike in resident evil games running away in this game is easier said than done most times which is what makes purity forest so scary (apart from rng shenanigans and such)

Back