Gen 4 What are your opinions over Gen 4?

• Thread starter rawduck
  • Start date
R

rawduck

New Kid on the Block
Towns Folk
Maybe it's my nostalgia goggles, but I love Sinnoh. However, it runs painfully slowly and that stretch with no badges hurts. But HG/SS fixed most of these problems. I don't like to take sides, but I want to know your opinions.

Reactions: AceChadi
Overall, it was pretty good. Contests made a return in D/P/Pl, which was awesome, plus Dialga, Palkia, and the distortion world which were all really cool.

HG/SS were awesome because they were Johto remakes, plus the pokemon following you which was incredible. And then the Pokeathlon Dome was also pretty fun.

Plus the return of the Battle Frontier, which really made it great.

Reactions: cookiePhil
I just really like the physical/special split, its probably the best thing that Gen 4 brought to the series.

Reactions: cookiePhil
I just really like the physical/special split, its probably the best thing that Gen 4 brought to the series.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that

Gen 4 was great,the legendaries they introduced were amazing and the games were a blast and let me tell you they were not all that easy the league had some great trainers who I tell were hard to beat plus the game had reasonable graphics seeing that in was for ds and the distortion world was mind blowing when catching giratina and chasing after azelf,uxie and mespirit.

It was quite good..I still think gen 3 was better though.

Gen 4 is my favorite and I have played at least one game from each generation since the beginning. Only complaint I have is that this is the generation that begin the "let's add more and more legendaries to the game" craze.

Gen 4 is actually my favorite pokemon generation. I loved the legendaries and the story, and platinum was the first pokemon game I played in the main series. Still, it is so long since I played it I barely remember the story, so it is probably just nostalgia.

Gen IV is also one of my favourite gens (because of all of those legendaries) because it was the first Pokémon game (=main game =/= spin-off) to introduce 3D elements, instead of the 2D regions the GBA was able to do (the GBA can't handle 3D anyway, and a Mode-7 Pokémon game would have been bad), and it also brought Internet compatibility to the series.

Maybe its just bias, but I really don't like gen 4 for a couple reasons. The first is that I REALLY didn't like the evolutions they added on to the pokemon that already existed, particularly Aipom's. Second (and most important) is DAWN.... She was fine in the games but ab-so-lute-ly KILLED the show, just from the intense stupid that permeated from her. After she got on, I outright just stopped watching it when I was younger (but from the look of it they only got worse as they went on anyway)

It was my favorite game other than omega ruby and Mystery Dungeon. (Explorers of Sky) All the design for the Pokemon and layouts were really good and there was no Fairy type! The story line was exceptional and all the Pokemon (most) were balanced.

I agree mostly with Thatkeyholder, as there was no Fairy type to completely unbalance the typing system. The story line was amazingly good, with also being able to access the Unown pretty early on in D/P/Pt. The introduction of the Fairy type really unbalanced it for a few reasons; dragons are no longer considered powerful any more, some old Pokemon like Azumarill are seeing much more use now due to the added Fairy type, and some good ones like Clefable have become broken due to changing over to the Fairy type. Also, with one of the few Dragon/Fairy mixes, Altaria and Mega Altaria, the dragon-versus-dragon typing is now out the window. I myself used to use a Fairy-moveset Espeon in my Ubers/OU team. Sadly, not the case any more, as I deemed it too broken. With the Fairy type being weak to Steel and Poison, the two least used types in the game, makes killing fairy types exceptionally hard. Mega Mawile really needs a nerfing, as its Play Rough and Sucker Punch in a combo with Power-Up Punch to deal with steel types and some ground move to deal with poison types makes it hades to face in battle. Its only weak point is the fact that special moves will pack a wallop, and a Mega Charizard Y should not have too many problems in battle. But, most people decide to Mega their Mewtwos, therefore rendering that tactic ineffective. The introduction of Special/Physical moves in Generation 4 seriously balanced the system. Also, the Sinnoh region is perfect, all with the exception of preventing us from revisiting the Distortion World.

I agree mostly with Thatkeyholder, as there was no Fairy type to completely unbalance the typing system.
Umm...fairy being added was kinda to fix the unbalanced system. Dragon types dominated the meta game a bit too much at the time :p

Other than that, I agree, Gen 4 seemed pretty cool with the Distortion World and the supernatural elements of the game.

Well, @ShinyLatios , I say that the Fairy type completely unbalanced the system, because if you look at the charts, Dragon types are weak to Dragon and Ice moves, therefore cancelling itself out by being weak to itself. Adding another weakness to Dragon types is okay, but please do NOT make it as easy to find as most fairy types. Also, being completely immune to Dragon types is just insane. That makes the Dragon type completely worthless and ineffective in the meta game. I think that the Fairy type should be very rare and hard to find, and since the Fairy type is only weak to Steel and Poison moves, most Dragon types do not learn Steel or Poison moves, with the exception of Dialga, having Flash Cannon. Even then, another way to fix the unbalances is to just remove all Dragon type mega evolutions. Or, even better, make other Pokemon that are not Dragon type learn Dragon type moves (ex. Steelix with Dragon Breath). Some can already do this, but not enough. Altaria does not need a mega evolution, as it is Dragon/Fairy and Dragon moves have no effect on it, making it hard to kill. When they added the Fairy type, they removed one problem, but added about 60 more. So, as you see, adding the Fairy type was a mistake.

Iv'e gotta say Generation 4 was awesome. Heartgold and Soulsilver had pokemon following you, which was awesome. Diamond, Pearl had a great story line and the lgeendaries were so cool. The graphics were more updated and better. The elite four was pretty hard. Also my first game was in gen 4. If you are planning to get any good DS games get gen 4 games,

I like 4th gen. Not DPt very much but I sure like HGSS. In HGSS, You can roam around with your pokemon, it has a pokewalker and the music is my favourite! These 3 things cannot be found in DPT

Back