SSB What did you think of Smash Bros. on N64?

• Thread starter P2.0
  • Start date
P2.0

P2.0

BlueJ was here.
Towns Folk
Most of you guys probably hadn't played it, and probably just watched vids of the game. But what do you think of the first Smash Bros.? All of the fancy dodges and catching items that get thrown at you, not to mention the many characters that are in the later games are thrown out the window!
It's just 8 characters, plus 4 more. :p

What do you think of it now? Does it still do well compared to Ultimate? Do you still find yourself going back to the OG Smash rather than playing the new ones?

I think it's just as good as the rest. Watching a video of a SSB64 combo contest was actually insane and the most fun I've ever seen outside regular matches. I also like how each game is a tad different. You like how people are adding characters into it years later?

Reactions: P2.0
Still holds up to this day, I'd honestly say that it's fun enough to rival the newer Smash games

(also nostalgia)

Reactions: P2.0
I've played it. .-.
It was pretty fun, though I would've been much better at it if I'd known what smash attacks were.

its was good for the time it was released, however the sequels are better in every way ,because of more characters, more attacks(in smash 64 there werent side B attacks) more stages, more everything in a good way

I thought it was pretty cool; blasting everyone w/ lightning with pikachu, eating everyone with Yoshi and Kirby...
The barrel on the DK stage was cool, too. I played this game so much as a kid. Always was confused by the "Cheap Shot: -99" point penalty, though.

And that Fighting Polygon Team,,, what was with that?? Characters who didn't make the cut after they'd been partially designed??

It holds up quite well, but honestly, it's just aged really poorly. There are a bunch of balance issues with the game, and it's super outclassed by the later Smash games.
The infinite hitstun and lack of DI makes it somewhat polarizing. Sure, free zero to deaths is very fun to perform, but that is until you are the subject of a zero to death yourself.. There is really no other Smash game here you can string literally everything into everything, so it's unique in that regard. I honestly quite like this, but some people don't.
Now, for the things holding it back from me playing it by myself. There is sadly a lack of things to do by yourself, so the single-player aspect is practically non-existent. Also, the graphics, in general, have aged VERY poorly. The characters look kind of like something from a direct-to-video CGI film that was crudely animated with motion-capture, as the animations and models just look very choppy (DK being the biggest offender). Also, Smash 64 Kirby was one of the biggest offenders of "low-effort, huge payout" in the series, with dumb moves like Dair and his infamous Up Tilt. And the fact that zero to death combos are just so easy to perform now makes them a little less impressive sadly.
Overall, a good introduction to the Smash 64 series, but it really is outclassed by the later games. Still, nothing is more enjoyable than a nice zero to death combo, so if those are your favorite thing to do, then this game is for you. It's not my least favorite Smash game (that goes to Smash 4) but it's just the one that's aged the worst.

I love watching competitve smash 64 matches sometimes because of the unique vibe the game gives off that is truly different than any other game in the series.

I thought it was pretty okay. I can definitely see how much fun it must've been back in the day. Heck, I spent a good amount of time trying to unlock all of the secret characters when I got the game for the Pi. For a while it was a great way for me and my family to play with each other, and I got "cool" points for bringing my Pi to parties and playing it in the corner.

I will admit that it is weird to see a Smash game that doesn't have final smashes but still has taunts, but that could just be me. I'm glad to see how far the games have come since then, as well as some of the things that hadn't changed since then.

Its pretty fun to play as a portable smash when ultimate wasnt a thing

While smash ultimate tops of the other games with customization and stages, I honestly find all the other games as fun in their own ways.

I think specifically with the Nintendo 64 version I find the physics and graphics rather charming, and the gameplay feels far different than melee which set the bar for other smash games. No smash ball, and limited items actually makes the game a bit less overwhelming, but that's just me.

I played it a ton when I was younger. My friend is the one that owned it though, so he’d just play Fox and demolish me completely. I honestly never got good at any of the Smash games

I never owned an N64, but got the chance to play it on the Wii thanks to Club Nintendo. I played it a TON despite owning Brawl, and despite being a game from inferior hardware, I enjoyed it a lot.
As for the game itself? It doesn't hold up that well these days, but the blocky graphics and imperfections oddly make it fun to come back to, especially when compared to the polished Sm4sh and Ultimate. This game in the series honestly has a lot more personality than you'd expect, and its great.
I'd also like to quickly talk about the hacking scene for this game. The new stuff they've been doing with Smash 64 is incredible, and worth taking your time to check out. Please check out Smash Remix when you have time.

Back